Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Did I ever tell you that I grow garlic? Of all the herbs I grow this has to be my favorite, I probably use it more too. It is not only great in cooking, but it truly has medicinal properties. If I feel a cold coming on or have a sore throat, I will squeeze the juice from a lemon, chop a clove of garlic, add a teaspoon of honey, pour a cup of boiling water, drink and chew the garlic. Helps every time. I am also told that it lowers blood pressure, and  lots of other good things.


Here is the garlic dh brought from the barn where I was drying it in small bunches.

I took the garlic cloves, and placed them in a nylon stocking, tying a knot after each one.  This makes it easy if you want just one, just cut below the knot, and there you have it.


I then hung them in the pantry, they need to be in a cool, dry, and dark place.

We have now planted the new garlic bed, and it is growing just fine.  It will be harvested next summer. We still have to put the straw down. I am also thinking  about next years garden lol  Just can't start to soon. lol


We have been busy this week bedding our perennials for the winter, and adding some  finishing touches on our porch.  Yesterday was so sunny, a beautiful fall day,today it is sprinkling rain and cool, just a great day to make some comfort food. I  made my version of baked spaghetti  tonight. Sooo yummy.


Hope you  had a great day today, and are enjoying beautiful autumn weather. We found out that this little one, is a girl, and we named her Jennie, isn't she adorable and growing like a weed.



Thank you for stopping by for a visit, and taking the time to say hi. 
Hugs,
Sue
Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

8 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I admit to having serious, "Jenny," envy. She is so cute and so blessed to have a girl. I love your garlic and I can't believe the amount of work you seem to get done. I have never had that good of luck with garlic, growing it I mean. Maybe it was because I let it get to wet or some thing. I love that picture of your pantry, It looks wonderful.

I always look forward to your updates. It has been nice and fall like for the last couple of days. The break is so nice.

Have a great rest of the week Sue,
Hugs,

Kim

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

HI Sue :) :) :)
Oh, I always love stopping by your blog for a visit ;) :) :) It's a delight and so refreshing. I'm glad to find out that the new furry loved one is a "Jenny" :) :)

You know, I'm always full of admiration for people who farm the land and grow food and stuff..and I LOVE garlic!!! One of the things I keep in my scrapbook are gardening articles on occasion...just for the day when I have my own place :) :) Hmm...at th is rate, I think I need to marry a rancher/farmer...and I can work from home and raise a family etc...well, a girl can always pray :) :) :)

When I lived in Germany, I'd go out for pizza with friends and one of my favorite toppings was a minced garlic in some sort of oil...but oh, it was tasty :) :)

your photos are always so inviting...even the pantry :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Lady Farmer said...

Oh, Sue!
This is just the cutest *farm-y* background you have here!
I have never grown garlic! Do you think it is too late to try for this year? I love the stuff! BUT ~ I don't think I could just 'chew the garlic'! The honey and lemon would go down just fine, but the garlic would need to be in the spaghetti sauce! ;~P
Little Jenney is absolutely adorable! I have always wanted to raise donkeys, they seem to be so sweet! Love the cross on their backs and the story behind it!
Blessings to you my friend!

Jenni said...

Wow! That is fascinating to know about the garlic. I sure do enjoy it in certain foods, but had no idea it could be medicinal as well!

And sweet little baby Jennie is just too cute! Thanks for sharing her with us!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your baked spaghetti looks delicious!! And your new blog design looks really cute! I love the garlic in stockings!!

Happy@Home said...

I tried to grow garlic for the first time last year. I had always heard that it was simple to grow. For some reason mine didn't seem to do anything. I was disappointed. I try to incorporate it into a lot of my cooking as I know it is good for us. Do you think it's too late to plant it now? If not, do you have any secrets for success?
Little Jennie is so sweet.

Elena said...

That is so cool that you grow your own garlic. We love garlic too. In fact I take an odorless garlic supplement every day. It has kept me very healthy as I have taken it for over 15 years! Blessings to you today sweet Sue:)

♥ Kathy said...

Now I want to grow garlic! You inspire me so much :) ((hugs))