Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Yesterday it was 89 degrees with high humidity, today we were in the low 60's, what a difference a day makes. I worked getting the house cleaned and in order for the weekend. Days like today I like to have some comfort food.....

These are N.C. sweet potatoes, and they are just so yummy, and good for you too.
I pricked them with a fork, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and baked at 350 degrees until soft to touch. Sliced the potato, look at that rich color. Now you can eat it  just like this, 


Or you could dress it up a bit, a small pat of butter, a smidgen of brown sugar, and top it with cinnamon.  Now if you really want to taste something great put some miniature marshmallows on top and broil until brown, Oh! so yummy and good for you too.
The weatherman said we would be having our killing frost tonight, Now why can't they say  something nice like frost on the pumpkin? lol... so I went to the garden one more time, I saw a few okra and I decided to cut them and while out there I noticed that some other creatures like okra besides us.. I hate the thought of what the frost is going to do to this blossom.
Isn't this okra blossom beautiful?  the photo doesn't do it justice. 


The lady bugs were looking for their dinner too, not okra, they are our good bugs.




Look at this red wasp,he looks like he is laughing at me.


Even Mr Spider wanted to get in on the photo shoot

And what  would a walk in the garden be like without one of these, why it's Mr stink bug of course. I don't think there is anything they won't eat. My friend, Kim over at My field of dreams will appreciate this guy, as she has had a lot of them this year in her garden 

 I met Kim earlier this summer, and I been so blessed by her blog, she writes so beautifully of her days as a Christian wife, mother, and she is so gifted with her hands. You will enjoy  meeting, and getting to know  her. click (HERE)  to visit her. "Kim", if you read this post, I always remember your stink bug post, lol so funny. They really are pests and they do stink. Lol
I am always amazed at the intricate details that God took to create everything, (if you click on photos you will see what I mean) and I enjoy watching them so much. I am even more amazed at how He fashioned us , making us  in His image.
May your day be filled with many blessings.
HUgs,
Sue
Genesis 1:27~So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 


9 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Oh Sue you are so sweet. Thank you for your very kind words. Oh me and the stink bugs. I had the pest control come out and I had not noticed that the trunks of the trees were just completely covered in bugs. She said we would have had a horrible time with them next year. So I didn't put in a winter garden just because they are so bad.

I love all of the pictures of what is living in your garden. Isn't it strange to go from Hot and miserable to long sleeves in one day?
That is us today too. We had such a rain storm last night.

Have a lovely weekend and thanks again as always for being such a blessing as well as a encouragement to me.

Anonymous said...

Mouth watering. I am off to do my groceries and you better believe sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and mini marshmellows are on that list. ;) I have them like that sometimes and they are delish. Glad you reminded me.

Have a lovely weekend.

Jenni said...

What fun, reading your post and looking at those pictures! Especially the detailed pictures and "discussion" about sweet potatoes... girl, you made me hungy! That looked and sounded so yummy, now I want one too!

I love ladybugs, too, and am always so interested to read "a farm chick's" perspective about all sorts of things....

Have a happy day, and please send some cooler weather to Houston. I would even take a "killing frost" if that's all you could send, hehe

♥ Kathy said...

A baked sweet potato is the best! Your flowers are lovely Sue ♥

Anonymous said...

I've never seen an okra blossom. They are beautiful. I agree. The beauty is just another demonstration of His extravagant love for us.
The okra blossom needs to be functional. The beauty of it is a gift.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Those okra blossoms are beautiful...I never would have thought that okra would have such pretty blooms. My father has eaten okra. I have not... :) :) :) Oh, I LOVE the slideshow going across the top of your blog...very well done. Oh, and I noticed the pie with the pie bird in the center :) :) I just read about " pie birds" in the latest issue of Country Living magazine :) :) Those are so cute!!! Yes, God is amazing to create such intricate beauty :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Elena said...

The sweet potatoes sound so good! I loved all the photos of the blossom with the different bugs. The Lord's creation is so amazing!

Happy@Home said...

I'm smiling at your post that ranges from sweet potatoes to stink bugs :). I'm not sure if I've encountered a stink bug before. I must enlarge your picture to get a closer look.
I have, however, encountered many sweet potatoes and love them. My current favorite method is to cut them up, toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and then roast them in the oven. Almost like a sweet potato fry, but much healthier. Yumm.
I have never seen an okra blossom until now. They are so pretty.
Thanks for sharing.

Sunny said...

Wonderful post Sue. Pretty okra blossoms!