Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Look familiar?......
Just my thoughts~
Written by Sue, February 2, 2011~
I am thinking about a lost art and that is the art of writing and receiving hand written letters or notes, to and from family and friends. I love to walk the path to our mailbox and open it and find a letter that has been so carefully hand written by someone I know and love. My hands can hardly wait to open it to see, Isn't it amazing that every one's hand writing is different. And if you are familiar with that person's writing (especially your children) that you can identify who wrote it, even before seeing the return address.

Some times being sick and having to slow down can have a positive affect, having the flu gave me time to catch up on my writing. Do you want to hear a funny thought? I was thinking while writing my notes, (these were notes of "Thank You" for deeds and presents for the holidays)... "all of these notes are written to family that know I have got the flu, and I wonder if they will be hesitant to open them." LOL Silly Girl!!

For this year I really want to take the time to tell and show others how much they mean to me, and how much I appreciate them.
How about you have you continued this valuable art of hand writing ? Just think about all of the wonderful hand written scripts we have in our national archives, documents written and signed by men who have given so much to our country.....

Those love letters from God written by men such as Paul, the apostle, to the early churches when they were enduring so much persecution, messages of hope,love,and faith and promises. Imagine the anticipation of having a written letter,to hold and read.....

How about those love letter written to you by your sweetheart many years ago. I still have many written by my sweetheart, and sometimes we get them out to reminisce, and laugh of just how much we were in love, and still are I might add. lol even more. Hmmmm! I think I will start back writing love notes other than on special occasions. "Thanks Sue for the thought."....

How about those hand written notes by your children, and grandchildren when they were young,... priceless art!! I have so many that are so old, and I have them tucked away in so many nooks and crannies, I always kept them and throwing them away has never been an option! Would you throw away a priceless letter or work of art?......Mine have become treasures, and always bring a smile.

I must share a story about my parents.... When my Dad was doing a tour of duty in Korea, he and my mother wrote each other every single day, they had no cell phones, or computers, just the good ole' U.S. mail service. Writing that often you would have thought they wouldn't have anything to talk about, I watched as my mother waited with anticipation for each letter to come, it really made an impact on my life, the love and devotion they had for each other, was one of the marks I used in finding my sweetie.....

Here is my note to you, I wish I could have written it by hand.... Open it up

{Thank you for all of your concerns, prayers and well wishes during my sickness, my spirit was lifted so much. I am truly a blessed person to have you in my life.}
Love,
Sue
Update.... I am feeling soooo much better, the antibiotic has a made a big difference, not to mention the TLC dear one has given me. I am so looking forward to getting back on track. Please take care of yourself.
Sue

Edited: 2-8-11
I wrote this post over a week ago, and a few days later  dh bought me one of my favorite magazines, as I was nearing the end, I found an article about the lost art of hand written letters, I had a great laugh, and was thrilled to know that someone besides me was hoping this lost art would soon return. Mrs Thompson's article is much better than mine. LOL If you get a chance please read it. Also, after mailing  my letters, my sister, Mary( who was one of the recipients) while calling to check on me, was thrilled to have received her  handwritten note in the mail. I really want to be more faithful, and thoughtful in my writing.

22 comments:

M said...

I too, love the lost art of writing and receiving hand written letters, and notes. I also saw, and thoroughly enjoyed the article in Victoria magazine. With the ease and immediate results of email, Facebook and other technical ways to communicate, it's over the minute you hit the delete. Unlike letters that you can pick up and read again and again. M.Ray

Farm Girl said...

Well you have been faithful to me with your written comments and as I have told you so many times, the reason I kept writing. I am so glad you are better and I am thankful to have you as a friend. The reason I started writing when I was 11 years old is that my Mom had died, and I wished for one letter that would have told me how she loved me. There was none. Or at least I never saw one. So I started writing and continued to do so for now these 41 years.
I have wrote because I have always wanted people to know how much they have meant to me just in case God called me home. I never wanted there to be any doubt of my love and my thankfulness.
Sorry this is so long.
I am so glad you feel better now, God answered my prayers for your recovery.
Blessings to you my friend.

Terry said...

dear sue...i have seen your comments over at the sisters and i thought it was high time that i searched you out, and it took me a little while.
after i had seen your love of anne of green gables and the avonlea series and the jennette oke books, well i see you are a kindred spirit, and there are several other kindred spirits over at the sisters...you know that mrs. mac is an anne of green gables fan!
it would be nice if you joined..
and not only that, the girls are all on the gospel road and are christians.

well, i had better comment on this post which i love so much...i love hand written letters too and i used to hand write a lot myself...when i was a teenager, i had 51 pen pals...no computers in those days!... and hardly a spare typewriter that you could lay your hands and so the only thing to do was to write!
i have all the letters that my husband and i had written when he lived two hundred miles away...ha! sometimes bernie would write me more than once a day and dad golden used to say, "never any mail for me!"
i have no children but i, like you have little notes and works of art that have been done by my nieces and nephews and i am a thief.!.i take them! i store them away...better THAT then THROWING them away,eh?...one of these days i will give them to the owners..i have a journal that my nephew, justin wrote when he was six years old and now he is about 29!
well, i had better stop chattering because blogger only allows you a certain number of letters...many the time they have made me weed out some words....god bless you, and now i am going to read some more of your interesing blog sue....love from terry...one of the scarf sisterd

Debbie said...

Oh Sue I am soo glad to hear you are doing better, you have definitely been in my prayers. Those nasty flu's that go around this time of year are just NO fun! I LOVE LOVE a hand written note. I have saved all of my hand written love notes from hubby as well. There are not a lot of them, but the ones there are mean soo much!! One of the reasons I was glad I put my blog into book form was soo my children and grandchildren could read someone just how often they were in my thoughts...My grandkids send my pictures and cards sometimes and they are all pinned to my refridgerator...It is a good idea to write more. I was planning to go tomorrow and get Valentine cards and get them in the mail. Perfect excuse. Soo glad you are feeling better...continue to rest and take soo much care!! Love, Debbie

Julie Harward said...

I love that magazine too and have for years! I am so glad you are better..now I think I am getting something! I do love hand written things..I have all my mom and dad's love letters..and my husbands. Hang in there and get back on your feet real good! ;D

Denise said...

Praising God that you are feeling better, love you.

Walk In Truth said...

Hi Sue,

Amen! I'm so happy your well. I love this post.

I loved that your parents wrote letters every day, what an amazing example of love, that clearly had an effect on you, and your future marriage. That is such a blessing.

I love the idea of hand written letters. I'm not a big fan of the high tech world, I would just be happy on a farm out in the middle of no where with family and animals of course.

I Think that was really thoughtful of you to write letters to your family and friends.

God bless, have a great day!,
Michele

Susan B said...

Dear Sue,
I'm so glad that you are feeling better! I've been thinking of you, and praying for you.

I haven't written a letter in so long! Usually I send email notes, or notes on Facebook. I still love to receive letters from friends and family. I think that is why I enjoy receiving Christmas cards so much because there is usually a letter inside! :) Plus my handwriting is getting so bad anymore...I'm not sure it can be read so easily now!

Keep resting, and getting better. :)

Your friend, Susan xo

Elena said...

Such a wonderful post Sue! I so enjoy your thoughts. I just got in contact on facebook with a friend I had lost touch with for 13 years. She prefers hand written letters. So she wrote me one to catch me up on her life. It was so wonderful to see her familiar hand writing! I too have saved letters from the past and enjoy looking at them and seeing the familiar hand writing:) I am so glad you are feeling better dear friend! God bless your sweet heart today!

Farm Girl said...

I am just stopping in to say thank you so much for your lovely comments.
I am so glad you are getting back to yourself. I hope you enjoy your snow and that it will be soon getting warmer.
I have already started chopping weeds. such is life. I call it my spring training program. :) My husband calls it his gym membership.
You always make me so happy.
Blessing to you,
Kim

Unknown said...

My dear friend Sue..
thanks for the sweet comments on my blog..and girlfriend,, I know you are true when you said you would help me to move if only i was a bit further north..lol
I love your new blog,,and i am so happy to hear that you are feeling better..
I will be taking down my computer tomorrow,,for the move, but i will be back in a day or too..
Have a wonderful weekend.. and I will be in touch soon,,
Love ya my friend.. talk to ya soon..

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
So glad to see you posting again and well enough to do it. Missed you!
I sent out 3 cards and a thank you note yesterday! I try hard to do it but know I fail at times.
I have a folder (large) in my file drawer of thank you notes people have sent me.
They are an encouragement to re-read them.
I love getting a note in the mail!
Continue to feel better and get your strength back!
Hugs friend!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

So glad you are on the way back to complete healing...God is faithful. I am also so blessed that during that time God placed something so precious on your heart and you had confirmation of it through the Victoria mag...see great minds think alike.

I do think we are loosing this art form. I know my little one gets so excited to get something in the mail...and even at age 50 so do I. I seem to alway keep those personal notes...and miss that my own children aren't passing it down...I did get one card from the six at my birthday with real words written in it and I so cherish it!

Thanks for encouragement to continue this lost art...I am sure I could bless others by doing more of it myself.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Sue!

I have been thinking of you and hope you are feeling better! I am afraid I am not a great letter writer but did mail out seven Valentine cards to our aging aunts and friends today.

A very sweet and heartfelt post!

Sending thoughts and prayers your way!
Kindly, Lorraine

Bobbie said...

Hi Sue, so glad you're feeling better.

Hand written letters - I have a big tin filled with letters from my dad to his mother and to my mom when he served in WWII. They are priceless!! I'm glad for this post, because I have slacked in handwritten cards and letters and they are so much more intimate... THANK YOU!

Deanna said...

Hi dear! I hope today has been a good day for you.

I too, adore the art of handwritten letters. I felt so terrible these past five months that I didn't even hand write my own Christmas cards and that is such a treat for me to do every year. Ah well, there is always next year.

What a lovely pallate your new blog has. So soft and inviting!

Take care sweetie!
Deanna :D

Walk In Truth said...

Hi Sue,
I already left a comment, but just wanted to let you know my new blog address;
~ Straight From The Heart ~
straight--fromtheheart.blogspot.com

God bless,
Michele

Kathi said...

Sue, I'm so sorry you have been sick. This is such a great post. I too, love writing letters and receiving them. It is truly a lost art. I hope you are better soon. I do hope to be back blogging again also. Hugs, Kathi

Farming On Faith said...

Yes~ I agree with you. I love to get a hand written letter. Guess that means I should write more of them.
Hope you had a lovely Valentines Day!
Blessings Sweet Friend~
Carrie~

Vee said...

Just doing a little bloggy business...don't mind me.

Trish said...

Hi Sue,
I just sent a letter off to my son who lives in a different state to me.
I certainly need to write more letters - my handwriting has deteriorated something shocking!!
Glad to hear you are doing better now :-) Praise the Lord!
God's grace..Trish

Lois Christensen said...

I also love that magazine. Haven't read one in ages. Hope you're feeling better!!!