Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Saturday business~
Written by Sue February 27, 2011
I looked my working apron squarely in the face and said "Missy we have got some work to do today! Are you up to it? she's the one on the right, her sister,Lily is waiting until we have company to do her duty.
She smiled and pointed toward the stereo system, I put our favorite worship music on and here we went, we danced and worked all day, making pumpkin puree, and doing laundry.....

I had been wanting to get these pie pumpkins, prepared and in the freezer since before Christmas. I am really surprised that they lasted this long. Talk about procrastination!
Missy and I got busy, cutting  them in half, and taking the seed out.
We placed them face down in 1/2 in. of water in a preheated 350 degree oven.
In about thirty minutes Missy and I took them out...
Scooped the pumpkin out and placed it in the food processor, ...
pureed until smooth...
Isn't it pretty? I can just see, and smell, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and all kinds of goodies baking !
In the freezer we go,.... now what happened to the seed?
All washed and ready to dry, we will plant some in hopes to have more this fall, and of course, some to eat, which I have been nibbling on all day.
And the rinds went to the chickens for a treat.

I know there is probably no one here in blogland that still has pumpkins, left from fall, LOL, but this is really a great and easy way to preserve your pumpkins. My Mother did hers at Christmas, and made some of the best miniature bunt cakes ever. She gave them  as gifts in her goodie bags!
Missy is all clean and back in her honored place and is now ready for another day of fun. I hope she got a lot of rest today, because I have a busy week planned for us. (smile)
Happy Monday,
Sue

17 comments:

Elena said...

Your pumpkin puree is so pretty. I just love anything pumpkin:) Mary was wearing a little dress on the day we were putting the flowers on my mom's grave. It was a little summer dress that I put a turtle neck under so she could wear it in this cold weather.

Happy@Home said...

The only way I have ever prepared pumpkin is by opening the Libby's can. I had no idea it was so easy. Yours looks so good and how wonderful to have it on hand in the freezer. Is it easy to grow? I have thought about trying to grow them before.
Looks like Missy is going to be a busy gal this week. :)

Farm Girl said...

Yes, Sue, I still have pumpkins left. I have been giving them to my chickens a few at a time. I have lost very few which surprised me. I should turn mine into pumpkin puree too. They are still lovely as they were when I picked them. My chickens get so excited maybe that is why I haven't did the work. It is beautiful though. I thought I was the only one too. :)

Jenni said...

What pretty pumpkins! I could almost smell all of those yummy pumpkin treats you mentioned while I was looking at all of those pictures!

Hugs, Jenni

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
Sounds like you had a very productive weekend!
I can almost taste the pumpkin in all the goodies you will bake.
Sounds so good!
Hugs to you!

Debbie said...

Oh how I love ANYTHING pumpkin Your mother's bundt cakes sound wonderful. Having all the yummy puree on hand would make me giddy with the possibilities. Hope you and Missy enjoy your week. ; ) HUGS

happyone said...

Oh so that's how you do that. Simple to do. I will do that next year! Thanks!
I am surprised that the pumpkins didn't go bad after all that time.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

You and Missy work magic together :)

Judy Dudich said...

Hello, Sue!
I have come to your blog by-way of the links in the sidebar of Lily-Rose Cottage blog!
I just wanted to say how VERY much I enjoyed my first (but not last) visit here! I took a little tour of the inside of your farmhouse, as well, and was completely taken by its beauty and elegance!
Truly, you are "in your element" there and the JOY you find in your homemaking emanates through your posts. I can't WAIT to make sugar scrub!!! Thanks for teaching me!
May God bless you and your family as you enjoy your animals, recipes, and glorious nature that surrounds you there!
Thanks for inviting us in!

Unknown said...

OH my friend..you so impress me.. for one..your apron and where you hang it is just toooo precious..I loved it.. I thought , oh she much go grab a different one,,those two are just tooo cute..but regardless. you are just so handy dandy,, i love it..
I will be ordering a pumpkin pie, come fall.. just to let you know..lol..
love ya my friend..sure wish we could grab a mason jar of sweet tea and just hang out on your porch swing..:)

Vee said...

Oh this speaks to me. I just got my squash baked and eaten before it spoiled. It was yummy. I don't have freezer room to do all these great things, but I sure enjoy watching others go to it. Loverly warm pictures of home, too, my friend.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh don't you have such a delightful way of telling things! I just jumped...I actually did this with my decorative pumpkins from my November decorations..YEA! this city girl has a few bags in the freezer...So I did something you do!!! I love it. See you have inspired me with all your other things that I just couldn't throw them out.

Oh what a productive week you have had....always enjoy my visit. Benjamin is taking a picture of the calf to his class on Thursday...Benji!

Vee said...

I never know who'll you be next! I say to myself...Sue? Sue who? LOL!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

HI Sue,
good to hear from you as always, and thanks for your encouraging comments on my Monday Manna post.

Loved this post and seeing how you do the pumpkin to keep it till next year that is really great. Doesn't look as hard as one would think, course,
I am sure getting those punkins cut in half, must not be a breeze tho.
Love how you do all that, it is really so neat.

Hope you are feeling very well these days. I have been really tired lately because I haven't been getting enough sleep. So it has
really caught up with me the last few days. Ugh!!

Also liked your post on the wilted plant, that is all so true what you said. I really need a nap big time, and took one yesterday, but we will be leaving soon to run a few errands and meet Dee and Jerry for dinner (they are treating us, Bless their sweet hearts!!

You have a great evening my friend,
Love and Blessings,
Nellie

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

"Missy" is one pretty apron :) :) Oh, and all that beautiful pumpkin. I LOVE pumpkin!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

mum4305 said...

Your pumpkins are so cute. I can't believe they lasted that long. You must have taken good care of them.

Savannah Granny said...

This is awesome. I would have never thought they would last this long. What kind of pumpkins are these and are they readily available in the fall.
The puree look so good and doesn't seem to be that difficult.
Thanks for sharing. Ginger