Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Yesterday...

Written by Sue, Saturday  June 11, 2011                                                       Sunny, temps.are in high 90's with high humidity
     
I asked Lucy

 if she wanted to go to the garden and help gather squash, and she willing went.

We discovered this squash blossom with a visitor inside, he was either shading himself from this blistering sun, or enjoying some nectar, probably both.
I love to see how plants and their fruit evolve. Do you see how the squash has begun to develop from the blossom?
It is now mature enough to gather, all this happens within a few days, therefore we have to pick them every day, or they will become to large
Aren't they pretty?
Once washed I trim and slice, this is when my camera started acting up. It was so loud I jumped. I think it was in rebellion because lately I have been taking so many photos,{lol}
I didn't get to take photos of how I got these. The result of my camera misbehaving is blurred photos
The lens on my camera has gone  kaput. I guess I have over worked it,{lol} anyhoo it will be going to the shop , and I was so glad to find out that it has an extended warranty.WHEW! 

Today I will be making this...
And doing this..
 And some of this..
When day is done I will be soaking here, that is if I don't fall asleep before hand [Smile}....



Do you remember when we were children,and in the summertime we would want to play and stay outside way past dark to catch fireflies, or lay on the grass , look up and count stars, and always try and find the big and little dipper?  And all the other games we played! When we were finally forced to come in that it was then that we realized how tired we were, and  sometimes we would be dozing off while getting bathed by our mothers, I know I do!... 

Enjoy your day, and be blessed.
Until next time,
Sue

Psalms 18:1~ I will love You, O Lord my strength!

22 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I love your day and that is a bunch-of-squash! It looks so nice though.
I loved what you did when you were a kid, yes, I loved all of that too. I remember telling my Mom when I grew up I was never going to bed and I was going to stay up all night. I wish now I could make it to 10:00 PM
:)
Have a lovely day and I keep telling myself I am going to get your recipe for making laundry soap. I must have lost it from the last time.
Would it be to hard to publish it again?
Have a lovely weekend.

Vee said...

Yes, I do remember those glory days of summer. Perhaps that's how it will be when earth's day is ended.

My goodness, what a lovely bunch of squash. I think I have planted some like that in a pot. A pot? I know! Of all the stupid places.

You enjoy your day, too!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

This is great from beginning to end....love the squash. And I think I am going to pull out a blanket and lay down in the backyard tonight and look up at the summer sky...remembering the joy of being alive.

Oh my husband bought a picture at the thrift store...a little boy hugging a calf...I will have to send you a picture of it...it is my picture that will always remind me of you!

Happy@Home said...

Your squash looks so good. I've planted 3 zucchini plants and hope to see some blossoms turning into squash soon. Last year that never did happen. I guess all of my blossoms were "boys" and they didn't get pollinated :(.
Your day sounds like a busy one, but it will be so rewarding when you can relax in that lovely tub.
I do remember the summer days you spoke of. Great memories.
Happy Saturday to you, Sue.

Debbie said...

Good morning! How interesting this was again for this city girl. I have never seen a squash blossom before. Didn't even know it started from a blossom...what a rookie huh? Oh the summer time was such a wonderful magical time wasn't it? Hide and seek, night time swimming (how my kids loved this) sleep overs with girl friends. And the star counting....loved that. A wonderful time. Have a good week-end Sue! HUGS

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

You had some fine company picking those beautiful squash!

And, yes, I remember doing just what you mentioned as a child. Each and every thing you said :)

Julie Harward said...

Yes, I do remember those Summer nights..playing "No Bears are out tonight" hiding, looking up at the moon. I cannot believe you have harvest from a garden already..we are just beginning to plant! I love to end my day with a soak like that too and I have a soaker tub just like yours! :D

Carmen S. said...

Sending big, sloppy kisses & hugs to your beautiful girl Lucy:)Your squash looks devine, we didn't plant any this year as the zucchini got out of hand last year, LOL! Have a wonderful weekend:)

Jenni said...

Lucy is a beautiful girl! And those squash look so good... my grandparents used to grow it, there is nothing like fresh veggies straight from the field... we'd go pick 'em and grannie would wash and cook them right then and there. They tasted so good.

She also canned a little bit, they only had an acre and a half, nothing like y'all.... their little garden did make some nice veggies, though.
Hugs,
Jenni

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Sue,

You are such a delight :) :) I had to laugh because my day today almost exactly mirrors yours..I don't have squash or a garden...although I dearly love both :) :)

I'm cleaning, I posted about homemade laundry powder again on my blog today.. well, posted a link for the recipe. The batch I made awhile back is lasting forever. It's awesome :) :) I'm cleaning lots today... Now I just need a nice bathtub with a curtain to make the picture complete. Apartment bathtub is okay...but I like those stand alone tubs...more style and vintage charm :) :)

Enjoy you day. Lucy is the cutest dog ever... :) :)

Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

Susan said...

Sue, your garden looks great! Crookneck is my husbands favorite squash. I never thought of bottling it though. hmmm

sorry about your camera. Love the tub!!

It has just got to be summer here where I live and our gardens are just now going in. I tried doing plastic tunnels to get an early start on the garden and two days after I got all my tomato plants in (the ones I stared from seed) they froze under the tunnels. :o( I had to go buy new plants. It's so dicouraging. I have been trying to garden in this cold climate for a few years now and it is very challenging to say the least. Right now Florida sounds good however when it gets hot here its a dry hot and much easier to be out in......Still sometimes I think I'd really love to live in the south...maybe someday.
Blessings and drink lots of iced tea .........stay cool

Christine said...

Visiting the Farm...
From start to finish, I like to how you grow, pick, pack, and preserve.
Ahhhhhh... that tub!

Anonymous said...

Your squash looks beautiful! I too recently made that laundry soap, I am very happy with it.
Thanks for sharing your day, even though it's work, it feels good to do it too.
I LOVE your bathroom!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments on my blog it means a lot!
Tania

Unknown said...

ok girlfriend..now not only do i want to hang around on your front porch with ya.. but i want to borrow your precious pretty bathroom tooooo.. wow Sue that is gorgeous.. enjoy..
love ya girl.. god bless

Amrita said...

This is so besutiful

Anonymous said...

Sue,
What a beautiful post, here and for Sunday.
The tub looks heavenly. The squash wonderful. Isn't it amazing how the fruit develops from the blossom? I like to watch that too.

Denise said...

Such an awesome day my friend.

Anonymous said...

Seeing your jars of canned squash brought back memories of my mom.
I fried squash for "supper" tonight. Not a healthy recipe: fried in bacon grease with onion, scorched to the pan. Yum.

Paula said...

Hello, Sue... thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment on my blog!
Your squash looks so delicious... I can imagine lots of yummy recipes in those.
By the way~ I loved your Sunday post.... I'm thankful I belong to the Good Shepherd, too.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sue,
My most favorite thing is to pick veggies that I have grown and your squash looks so yummy I can just taste it. I'm so glad your camera had a warranty! Yea!
Thanks for coming by and leaving your nice comment on my story of Garden Road.
My Shepherd leads me also and I am forever grateful for what He has done in my life.

~Jean

corners of my life said...

I love my homemade laundery soap too.

Debbie said...

Ah, yes, I remember those days well, and how we played outside until there wasn't an ounce of energy left in us.

Nowadays, I'm just as tuckered out at the end of the day, but it's due to that OTHER stuff you pictured and not play.