Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

How was your day?

Written by Sue, Tuesday, August 30, 2011                                          absolutely beautiful 80's, low humidity.
We are so very thankful for minimal damage from Irene, our thoughts and prayers are with those who were hit so hard.... It breaks my heart to watch the news and see people telling their stories of loss....


We have been cleaning up and trying to get things back to normal.....the only damage to the house was the screen being torn out, we also lost another of our Bradford Pears, and a lot of debris, so insignificant compared to others.. But still thankful!!!!

Dh fixed the screen while I cleaned and placed everything back in place.

 I feel very sad tonight for what so many are experiencing....,  Our lives can change forever in a moment.  Please join me in praying for all that are enduring problems, from storms, extreme heat, and drought.
am so looking forward to fall, as we have had such a hot, dry summer. Our daughter who lives in Texas told me today that her lawn is so dry that it crunches when they walk  across it.


Monday I decided it was time to finally finish the garlic, sooooo....

What does this pan of garlic have in common




with these knee high stockings? 

This of course.

We will be planting our crop for next year soon, Garlic is very easy to grow, and we use it both in cooking, and for medicinal purposes. One of the best herbs you can grow.

They are now hanging in the pantry waiting for use.
I am so looking forward to fall......

We harvested our gourds when the girls were home,
Papa and Susie, she is our serious one, always honest, and doesn't want to hurt anyones feelings.
This is our little ham, Katie, every family needs one of these, she makes you laugh even when you don't feel like it, and  loves a camera.
 I washed them,
 hand dried and placed on a table  for a couple of weeks.
 then paste waxed...next I hand rubbed with a  soft cloth... yes! each and every one! ~lol~

"Voila" ready for containers and placed over the house, a first reminder to me of fall's soon coming
This one found its way into the foyer. September 1st is this week, I think I can safely put out some fall decorations with out feeling silly~grin~ Did I tell you how much I am looking forward to fall? ~smile~

Until we meet again, 
May the God of peace fill you with His peace.
Sue

Numbers 6: 24-26~ "The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace."

24 comments:

Tami said...

Love garlic, what a neat way to store it. Beautiful gourds too!!

Happy Autumn!
Tami

Debbie said...

I laughed at the comparison between the garlic and the hose! You're so funny! I just love the gourds! If I had some of those, I'd get ready for Fall too! Seeing how you arranged those made me think I'll be getting some of those really soon!
Glad you had minimal damage; sounds like some folks got a lot of water and are still suffering the effects of the hurricane.
Thanks for reminding us to pray for them Sue. We can get so caught up in other stuff and forget when the news moves on to something else.
Debbie

Jennifer said...

Love the gourds...and homegrown, too! How special is that - and yeah for starting to put out the fall things!

Farm Girl said...

Wow what lovely gourds. What kind of wax? I have always wanted to know.
I think that everything you said is so true. In a blink of time it can all change.
I didn't know it was one of your Bradford Pears that fell down.
I love your pictures your girls are all adorable. I can see that they get it from their grandma. :)
I hope it cools down soon too.
Have a very nice Wednesday.

Cheryl said...

Oh, we definitely share a love for fall, Sue! It is my favorite time of year. Seeing your harvest of gourds is getting me excited. :-)

I will join you in praying for those who have been devastated by Hurricane Irene. We are so blessed to have suffered so little damage.

Hugs...
Cheryl

GardenOfDaisies said...

Sue, I am looking forward to fall as well, but with temps up in the high 90's again this week, I'm still thinking in terms of summer. The panty hose trick is very cool and it looks like you will have enough garlic to cook with for a year! I LOVE your gourds. Does the paste wax treatment do something to the gourd other than give it a soft glow? I also feel bad for the people affected by Irene. So grateful that it was not worse.

Jenni said...

Sue, those gourds are just "gourdgeous"! hehe. Seriously, I love decorating for Fall, and I know they are gonna be just the right naturally lovely touch for the Autumn season..... Like your daughter's, our lawn here in the Houston area is "crunchy", too.... and we are fighting so hard to save our Tulip Tree just off the patio, which is beautiful in Spring.... but it is still looking bad.... We need some Rain!

I too, am praying for those affected by Irene.. so thankful and rejoicing that y'all are ok.
Blessings,
Jenni

no spring chicken said...

I'm so glad that you didn't receive much damage. Encouraged by the fact that all of my blogging buddies from the east coast seemed to fare well.

I'm taking notes from the master... knee highs for garlic. Brilliant. I haven't grown garlic before but we use it like crazy so will be doing so.

Paste wax for gourds... got it! :)

Blessings, Debbie

Mom of 12 said...

I am so ready for fall here! Seems like the harvest just began. We made dozens of jars of apricot jam and it's already peach season. The beans are driving me crazy and the tomatoes are all still green. Happy gardening!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Just love the garlic idea, I know what you mean about decorating for fall. It is my favorite time of the year to decorate. I even snuck out some pillows. But I usually wait until after Labor Day. Getting so hard to do though. I even changed my blog background this morning.


Love and Prayers always,

Angie

BECKY said...

You are such a busy gal, Sue. I'm so glad your damage was minimal. My heart is sooo heavy for those who are flooded, and have lost everything. The news media seems so good at hyping ahead of time, yet seems to under report the true aftermath.

Love your gourds! And love that you grew your own garlic!!! My Mom also always stored vidalia onions in panty hose...sure kept them well.

Always love seeing your kids and your grandies. I know they fill your heart with joy!

Love you bunches, sweetie!
Fall is only a skip away!!
Becky

Kathleen said...

I join you in your prayers for those suffering the after "wrath" of Irene. It is no fun and so hard on the disable and elderly.
My niece who just had a double mastectomy and has a severely disabled little boy had to be evacuated. I am grateful we didn't have more damage than we did, and that our power is back. There are so many who are very bad off!
I love your gourds, they will be wonderful for Fall...ahem, when in comes in 3 weeks or so! :)

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

My prayers are with the victims and families by which Irene has changed their lives.

Looking at your beautiful gourds, I'm thinking about the crookneck squash plant in my garden that looks like a gourd....now I'm sure that's what the mystery vegetable is! I'll just use them for decorative purposes:)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

It's so good to hear that you didn't have too much damage. Your photos are all wonderful, and what a great idea for the garlic! The gourds look so nice, I'm looking forward to Fall, too. Love the season!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, So very glad you only had a bit of damage. I've been upholding those that have suffered more and are wondering where to begin the cleanup. I didn't realize you were on the east coast-I always think of you being in the mid-west due to your farm.
Love the grands-oh the joy they bring to our life.
I've never heard of polishing gourds-I'm wondering if it is just to keep them shiney or does it help preserve them?
Have a blessed Labor Day weekend.
Love, Noreen

xinex said...

Your gourds look so beautiful and your daughters are lovely and charming. One of them looks like Alyssa Milano....Christine

Patricia said...

Sue, I thank the good Lord you didn't get too much damage!
I love the colours of your beautiful gourds.
I never knew they needed polishing like that!
They're going to look fabulous in your home over the coming months!
We are growing garlic for the first time and I can't wait to harvest it from our garden.
Thanks for your hose tip :-)
blessings to you..Trish

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh your daughter is in Texas? I didn't know that...well we are still over 100 each day, if we go three more days we will beat the longest record of 100 days in one summer...and yes, everything is dead and we have fires again raging through taking out houses, and farm land...again.

Yes, prayers for all those suffering through the weather disasters this year.

Praise that you all suffered so little.

Now garlic...I tried and it got zapped from the heat also...will try next year.

Look at your bounty...oh I would so love to come by and visit...just tooooooooo welcoming, now aren't you glad we all don't live close are you never would get all that wonderful work done for your visitors.

Love the pictures...glad the girls got to help in the harvest.

Blessings.

Elena said...

Your granddaughters are such beautiful little girls. I love their enthusiasm:) Those gords are beautiful! I love the fall.

Southern Lady said...

Your stories and pictures are always like a ray of sunshine and never fail to brighten my day, Sue. Katie and Susie are so precious and I know they cherish the times spent with you and their "Papa" at your lovely farm.

I'm so glad to hear you escaped most of the wrath of the storm. My heart and prayers go out to those who were less fortunate.

Anonymous said...

I think I need to move to a farm. How lovely!!

Bobbie said...

Well, all of your hard work paid off... and these gourds are absolutely beautiful! I love fall, but I'm not a big fan of what comes afterwards.
I love how you described each of your granddaughters.. and I would have probably been able to guess their personalities just from the photo's. They are beautiful girls!!
Thanks for sharing your life.. what a blessing!!

Rebecca said...

The gourds are amazing! I really SHOULD try to grow some next year...I like them so much but don't like to have to pay for them in stores :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Beautiful gourds, lovely garlic too! And what a beautiful family you have. Sorry I've been MIA here.. really not sure I'm receiving your updates via blogger. I shall check into that ;) Missed ya! Glad everyone is ok. -Tammy