Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Working while enjoying fall~


Written by Sue, Thursday October 6, 2011                               What a beautiful, sunny fall day, 80's
There are so many sights, sounds, and smells,  that I love about fall.  Gathering the hay for winter is one of them.  


The hay is cut, and let dry for a day or so.
It is then flipped,  and dried some more.

The next step is to roll it in rows
It is now ready to be bailed! Isn't this cool? You would think after so many years of farming, that this would be hum drum, but not so, If farming is in your blood, you love every day and  changing of  seasons. Oh! I love farming! But it wasn't always this way. Would you like to hear?....

My father was not a farmer, but  served and retired from the military, however  my grandparents were farmers. When school was out for the summer, our parents took us to their farms to work, and earn enough money to buy one outfit for the following school year. Yes, that is right we got "one" new outfit for school.. Big difference compared to today. ~smiling~

My sisters and I didn't care for all the working in the fields, we had our minds on other things, or should I say, ahem!!! boys, and girl things.... manicured fingernails, new hair dos, playing our records, Elvis, Pat Boone,.. So through these hardships. ~LOL~ yea right!! we all declared "WE WOULD NEVER EVER MARRY A FARMER, "NEVER"!!

But, my farm free days were short lived when I met this guy!!  Guess who married a farmer!!... and Boy was she ever glad she  did!! ...After all these years he still makes my heart go "pitter patter"!!!  He is the "One  who gave me my "love farming" blood transfusion!!! along with an apron! ~big grin~
Here are the bails ready to be put in the barn! What a beautiful sight for a "farmgirl", and her "farmboy"!!

While standing at the  fence   I could smell the fresh cut hay,... one of the best "farm aromas".... giving  thanks to our Heavenly Father for our harvest, God always provides even in a drought,and we have had one of the worst ever here in the South.. We will need this hay come winter to feed our sheep, cows and horses.


One of my favorite things to do is to walk to the field with refreshments, and have My"farm guy" ask me if I would like to take a ride on His tractor? Do you even have to ask?? "Be still my heart!"

Farming is year round, and it has long hours with it. But it is so rewarding, To be able to put a seed in the ground and see it spring forth, and produce food for you to preserve, and eat fresh,...to be able to have all kinds of animals around you that you learn to love and interact with is worth all the hard work.


Until next time,
May your day be filled with many blessings 
Sue
Psalms 92:2~ To declare Your loving kindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night,

29 comments:

Elena said...

The hay harvest is so beautiful! My grandparents were farmer too. We grew up next to farm lands and as I child I loved to see the hay harvested and baled. I would sit on the alfalfa bales in the spring and fly my kites. That is such a sweet memory for me:)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

You guys do farming so well and even though it is hard work, you fill the time with such love and joy!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love the smell of newly mowed hay and also love seeing fields dotted with the big bales. I grew up on a farm, so these things appeal to me!

Julie Harward said...

I guess it's true that you must never say never! My mom used to send me out to the fields with treats and cold drinks for my dad and brothers. A good life! :D

Vee said...

I always wondered how you landed down on the farm, but such a beautiful farm it is.

You are The Farmer's Beautiful Wife and I'm sure that you still make his heart go pitty-pat. No wonder you're still getting tractor ride offers!

Still putting up your harvest, Sue? You've been scarce.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Well you make a beautiful farmers wife...and you just make the farmers life look so appealing.

My grand dad had a farm...so I got to partake of some of that life. My parents then tried to farm in their 50's while my Dad continued his Engineering Business. It wasn't what they thought and couldn't make a living, so when the economy hit them in the late 80's they headed back for town.
I miss both of the farms from my past.

Thanks for sharing your with Benjamin and I...I was trying to explain this process of baling hay to him the other day...now he can see it.

Isn't God good? He knew where you would end up...and you know have a dream farm.

Lois Christensen said...

I love the pictures! My father grew up on a farm in Germany and he loved to tell us stories about the farm and would say things like, "Today is a good day for planting or cutting hay." When he was in the hospital before he died I would come in and tell him about the farms near our house; they were getting their fields ready to plant and he always seemed to enjoy hearing me talk of their progress. I think he's in charge of a farm in heaven these days! Great post!

Christine said...

i just love visiting your Farm.
You bring the flavor of the farm to my city life and I love it.
~dreaming~

Patricia said...

You wanna know something Sue?
The sight of hay-bales standing in a paddock makes me feel content -as if 'all's right with world'.
And I've never had anything to do with farming lol!!
It's just such a peaceful, homely image to me, I guess :-)
I'm glad you married your sweet "farmer boy" because you were surely made for such a man!
love and hugs..Trish

Susan said...

how nice that you are able to grow your own feed. We don't have enough land to grow our own so we have to buy it. Im with you though, I do love living on the farm and in the country. I love all that goes with it, even the hard work. Enjoy, and happy fall
Blessings

Debbie said...

Good morning! Oh I LOVE these posts. Soo interesting to me. Your hay bales look different then Mike & Mel's...probably cuz theirs are made from alfalfa...

When Mike & Mel were dating one of her favorite things to do was ride in his tractor with him, haha....I used to think to myself, "Really?" haha They still do it on occasion too.

Have a wonderful week-end Sue!

HUGS

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a witness you are to all of us who love and admire you! And I love to hear about your romance with your sweet farmer! My dad was one, and he always made my mother's heart go pitter patter, too. And so did my best friend's father and mother. My grandmother married a businessman, and then after he died, many years later she married guess who? A farmer!

Love you...

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

ok Sue you can tell Im a city girl, I always wondered how they got those rolls of hay like that...
I come from country folk,,but today technology is awesomely handy..
have a great weekend my friend..

A Hint of Home said...

So sweet to read how happy you two still are!! Makes me happy! After 41 yrs. for us, it's rare to find couples that enjoy being together!
I posted the broccoli soup recipe that you requested. I hope you try and like it.
Have a great weekend!
Hugs!

Jenni said...

Hello, dear Sue! What a delight to visit with y'all on the farm today.... And I loved getting to know more about "making" hay... I always just usually see the finished product as I am driving past a field....

And I so enjoy reading about you marrying your dream man who just happened to be a farmer.... hehe. He sounds like a good, hard - working, honest, salt of the earth kind of guy...

Have a wonderful, joy -filled day!

Hugs,
Jenni

Cheryl said...

Sue, I LOVE this post, and your story of how you came to the farm! God obviously planned for you to be a farmer's girl...and I'm sure that Mr. P. is grateful for that!

I want to thank you (again) for your sweet, kind words that you left for me on my blog. Your encouragement is truly life-giving to me! You are such a precious friend!

But, truly, I admire you so much...your diligence, your joy-in-my-work attitude, your love and care for your family, your dependence on the Lord in the big and the small. It is I who am gleaning from your wisdom!

Blessings to you...
Cheryl

Cheryl said...

P.S. Kati was standing near when I came to your page...and she ooohed and aaaahed over your header! ~smile~

no spring chicken said...

You have so much wisdom to offer, Sue! Your heart for your home, your family, your God, and your man (not in that particular order I am sure) are such an encouragement. May your day be as beautiful as it can possibly be!!

Blessings, Debbie

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

How wonderful. I love going by a field with fresh mown hay! blessings,Kathleen

Ms.Daisy said...

Sue,
What a lovely header you have made! Just the perfect thing for Fall. I grew up with chickens and chicken farming isn't quite the same as your kind of farming but I can relate to some of the things you show us! Love your blog it makes me feel that all is right with the world!

~Jean

Rebecca said...

I can almost smell that new mown hay just reading & seeing your post, Sue.
What beautiful, beautiful scenes.

Paula said...

Oh, Sue~ what wonderful pictures! And I loved your sweet story...
I'll have to show this to my hubby... he loves tractor pictures in action. (Even though he likes red tractors instead of green- deep down he loves them all! *grin*)
I was so glad to be able to help my hubby put up hay this year... it was wonderful to work together as a team so our animals would have something to eat this winter.

Jennifer said...

Happy Thursday, friend. Just stopping by for a hello:)

Farming On Faith said...

I so enjoyed seeing your beautiful pictures. I also enjoyed catching up with you.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathi said...

Hi Sue. I just want you to know I'm going to come back tomorrow and catch up on reading your blog. I just got home from teaching school all day, then we drove 45 min. to pick up our car from the shop and 45 min. back, bite to eat, home for 10 min. Now I go teach at AWANA. Busy and happy, but not able to keep up sometimes. Thinking you and see ya tomorrow. Kathi

Debbie said...

And yet again, I'm late to this party, Sue.

I can not tell you how much I loved this post. I didn't grow up on a farm, and it was my sister and not I who married the farmer, but I just love the sights and sounds and SMELLS of a farm. Sometimes, I tell her how much I love the smell of her place, and she says, "NOW?"

Apparently, there are a few seasonal ones that don't tickle her fancy. To me, they all just smell like the heart and soul of life, if that makes sense.

I love that you share your farm. I don't know if I've ever told you, but my mom reads here regularly. She told me last week that she thinks the best pictures in blogland come out of "Pear Tree Farm".

I love the visual that I have of you riding that tractor with him. That's the very picture of romance to me.

Kathleen said...

Wl even though it is Sunday, and I can't post on your new post, I can blab here!
I love reading your posts, very calming. I have such respect for farming and farmers. They are disappearing so quickly. Here on the east end of Long Island where I live, there are still a few, but land is so valuable, many of the farmers sell to builders for new homes.
The Tablescaper.com has the cutest owl made from hay bales on her blog today.
Thank you so much for sharing.

Felisol said...

Dear Sue,
I really wanted to comment on your last post, "Promises kept". You must celebrate a prolonged Sunday, cause I cannot find a place to write my note.
First of all; I'm in love with your wonderful farm, it's beautiful and perfect in every way. Both cattle and poultry grassing outdoors in heavenly harmony. The beauty of the well kept buildings not to speak of all the wonderful seasonal arrangements. Perfection in details.
We are indeed living in different worlds, but have the same goal; to spend eternity with Christ. Oh, that will be the day.
have a blessed week till a new Sunday shows up.
From Felisol

Kathi said...

Sue, I am here to keep my promise of returning to your blog. What beautiful farm photos. I love and appreciate your special things from your grandmother also. I love the verses about God's faithfulness. He will indeed return and take us with Him, soon. Have a blessed week. Kathi