Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

I am thankful for...

Written by Sue,Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011                            partly sunny, cool, temps 60's

all types of communications, whether it is with a computer, texting,  a letter, a card in the mail, or my favorite, a phone. There is nothing like hearing that familiar voice on the other end of the phone.
The other night, the phone rings, a quiet voice on the other end of the line says, "hi Mom" at that moment the mother instinct that has been placed within us mothers by our heavenly Father kicked in, I asked if everything was alright, the reply was..."Mother, I just needed to hear your voice tonight", before I knew it  we had chatted for over an hour, and then....  all was right with the world.

A few weeks ago when I was not feeling well, Son# 2 called everyday sometimes two and three times a day. One day I reassured him I was doing well and not to worry, with his voice cracking, his reply was "I was worried about you, Mother". He, being so far away was able to use his phone to call and have his mind put at ease. I guess by hearing my voice he knew all was right... BTW, he still calls everyday.~big smile~

 What is so special about a Mother's voice?....

Have you ever noticed a newborn baby, when the mother speaks how the baby's eyes and head turn toward that soft, loving voice ....When our children begin to grow, they learn the many tones of our voices, when they fall down and get hurt, we go to them, pick them up and through our comfort voice, tell them that everything will be all right. When they misbehave, we use our stern voice, to reprimand them, but it is done in a loving way. When they are sick, we reach down, and touch their fevered brow, and whisper in their ear with our reassuring voice that we are there and they will be well soon.

 So when our child calls and says "I just wanted to hear your voice"...... They are just  needing to hear one or more of our voices,

For today I am thankful for the many types and ways we have of communication!

Giving thanks for you today too,
Sue

Much thanks to Leah at south breeze farm for hosting  Giving Thanks Challenge

23 comments:

Vee said...

What a unique gratitude, Sue! I can imagine that your children were concerned with your not feeling yourself. (I have yet to hear those words, though I think that I have sensed the unspoken need.) I sure would love to be able to pick up the phone and put in a heavenly call to my mother. Blessings today!

Debbie said...

Ditto to Vee's point. We've often laughed around here at 'the mom eye' that spoke volumes! :D I hope my kids feel that way.
Debbie

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sweet post.


Deanna

Debbie said...

Good morning! Is this ever true! Everyone of my kids have had their different times and reasons where they just need to hear, "What does mom think" haha...I got a call at 6:15 am (on a Sat morning!) from Mel the other day as the baby was sick and she started by saying, "I waited as long as I could." She knew I couldn't make him well of course, but she just needed the comfort from her mama.

I love that your son calls you everyday!

Have a wonderful day!

Hugs, Debbie

Anonymous said...

a sweet post! My family is all still very near so I have yet to come to appreciate this one! You have a nice place here! Visiting from GTC at SBF.

Leah said...

Oh, Sue - I can't believe I've never visited your blog before. What a warm and cozy spot you've got here - I love it! And the photos of your home all decorated so beautifully for Autumn - over the top! Love, love, love it! :)

Thanks for joining me for this month-long challenge. After spending a little time here this morning, I can see that God has blessed you abundantly, and that you've already got a sincerely thankful heart. Your sweet spirit is just contagious, and I'm thankful to have made a new friend today!

Hugs to you,

- Leah

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love this post, Sue! My children call to check on me, too. My grown daughter lives with us now, but she'll still call from work to check on me if she thinks I'm not feeling well. And my traveling son calls nearly every day to talk! We are blessed!!

Carmen S. said...

How lovely and so true! Thank you for your sweet comment and yes, I need to get all my crafting done so I can get all my junk out of my son's room, he has NO idea what a mess I make in there, LOL!!! Have a wonderful day!!!

Patrice and Higgins said...

So sweet! As my children are getting older and one has already moved out,it is so nice to hear the phone ring for nothing else than just to hear "I love you"!

Denise said...

Awesome post, love you.

Ruth Cox aka abitosunshine said...

What a wonderful post of thankfulness, Sue! I envy you...would give plenty for a call from my son.

Aloha Acres said...

Beautiful post. And so true. My mother passed away two years ago and I still want to pic up the phone to hear her voice just one more time.

I look forward to reading more during this Season of Thanksgiving.

Thanks for visiting me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. :o) I'm looking forward to making new friends also.

I can relate to those mommy instincts when those phone calls come. My daughter has been calling lately just to hear my voice and to know that moms make the world all better. haha They never stop needing their mommies.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. :o) I'm looking forward to making new friends also.

I can relate to those mommy instincts when those phone calls come. My daughter has been calling lately just to hear my voice and to know that moms make the world all better. haha They never stop needing their mommies.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

So sweet! I still call my mom just to hear her voice. She is one of my "thankful fors" this month (and always!) .

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post and so absolutely spot on! The mother's voice is without a doubt the most poetic sound on earth! Glad to make your acquaintance and I hope we become fast friends!

Farm Girl said...

This post gave me chills and tears. You know I always think about those things about hearing my parents voice because no one will ever say hi to me like my Dad did. He always said, " Hello, my baby Kim Sue," Every time we talked. No one ever calls me that.
It is so true, there is that deep longing sometimes to just listen to my kids. I am so glad your kids called you to check on you, you are so blessed.
I always feel like all is right with the world when I have talked to all of them and they are good.
Contentment just quiets my soul.
Thanks for sharing that today. It makes me think.
I know that when I hear the voice of Jesus call me home and he says "Well done good and faithful servant", my joy will be complete.
Blessing my friend,

happyone said...

A very nice start to the thankful challenge.
A lovely thought.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I just read that one of the number one stress relievers is to "hear your mothers voice". It was on a list from yahoo. You have explained it better than the article.

Even at age 50 it is amazing how my mother's voice can bring calm to a situation

I know I miss hearing voices a lot these days because of technology...although I love the many ways we communicate, I miss the sound of the voice.

Great 1st thanksgiving...praying health for you sweet one.

Cheryl said...

Sue, this is a precious post! My heart is touched to think about how reassuring and comforting your voice is to your children. And what a beautiful picture of how we are comforted when we hear the dear voice of our Father God.

Thank you again for your words of sweet encouragement! You are such a blessing!

Love in our Lord,
Cheryl

Beth at Aunties said...

This is a phrase I use almost daily with my own sweet mother!
Even though I know her time is not long here on the earth I cannot even fathom not hearing her voice daily telling me, "I love you baby and do you know how proud of you I am?"
She still is the first person I need to call to share fabulous news, ask advice or need comforted...although I am a grandmother myself 13 times now.
Tonight all four of our children called to check in a couple for reassurance and another to share a triumph of the day!
I love your insightful first gratitude tonight. ~♥

Patricia said...

This was absolutely beautiful, Sue.
A mother's loving voice is such a powerful channel for God's grace.
Thanks for reminding us..
Trish

Unknown said...

My job title is Communication Assistant. I love communication too...all kinds.