Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Still Beautiful~

Written by Sue, Sunday, September 22, 2013                 cloudy. showers, cool, 70's lovely first fall day.

 On a beautiful pre-fall day, Mr. P. and I decided to take a ride to a little country restaurant in a small country community where I spent most of my childhood summers, and a few years of growing up and going to school. As we passed this church, memories of past times came to heart. I asked if we could stop by on our way back and take some photos.

This church holds wonderful memories for me, if you stayed at my grandmothers for any length of time,... you went to church, either with her, or other churches in the community who were having "Bible School" or revivals. This was fine with me, because I got to see my friends every day for a week.

At the end of the week of Bible School we had a commencement, this is where parents and grandparents would come and hear songs being sung, and bible verses recited from memory from their precious children. As a child I had a great memory and wasn't bashful at all, so I was selected to lead our group.
Psalms 71:5~For thou art my hope, Oh Lord God; thou art my trust from my youth.
A few days later one of the parents was visiting my grandparents, I over heard him tell them what a great job I did leading, and he was amazed at my memorization. I never forgot those words of encouragement by this kind man, to this day I can still see him sitting in his car and talking to my grandparents. Imagine a child of seven or eight never forgetting this moment.

I have always tried to give encouragement to others,especially to children, as I know how this impacted my life. This man never knew how much those encouraging words meant to me And you too, may never know how your words of encouragement  are making a difference.

When I attended Bible School here there was no water from a faucet, just a hand pump, nor indoor plumbing of any kind, the only bathroom was a "Privy" out back. This photo shows where the hand pump was, and it produced some of the freshest and coolest water.

As you can see it is a long established church, I was so amazed at how well kept it was, and services are still held there. This was such a wonderful day trip for us, BTW the country meal was super delicious.~grin~
We noticed the sign and made plans to return for this service, which would have been last night, but due to DH"s sudden illness, (vertigo). We didn't make it, but for sure we will keep our eyes open for future events. Just maybe I will run into some old friends. that is, if we can still recognize one another. LOL

Aren't memories like these one of the greatest blessings from God? I felt like a child again! 
Blessings,
Sue

18 comments:

Southern Lady said...

What sweet memories you have, Sue ... from a kinder, gentler place in time. They brought back some memories from my childhood, too, of when I stayed with a great-aunt for a few days and attended a tent revival with her and her family at night. Like you, I was probably seven or eight, and can still remember sitting on those little wooden benches and singing the "old-timey" hymns. UNlike you, I was very shy and could never be "the leader" of a group, but I loved Bible School and that old-time tent revival. Thank you for rekindling sweet memories ... and for sharing yours.

Patsy said...

Lovely! I have good memories of church singings and dinner on the ground in my childhood. It was so different then and sweet.

happyone said...

What a great looking church and such nice memories for you.
It brought back memories of my own Bible School summers. : )

Paula said...

Oh, Sue~ what a beautiful church!! I'm so glad that it has been kept up in such a pristine condition... just makes my heart sing. :)

Susan B said...

Hi Sue,
What a beautiful church! And such wonderful memories you have of your times there. I hope you will be able to go back sometime soon. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories, and I hope your husband is feeling better soon. :)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

What a precious post..and such a beautiful church. May we all remember to encourage those who are coming after us. I too so remember my early days in church and thing that were said to me, thinks the person probably never remembers saying.

Stay well..thanks for sharing

Debbie said...

I love to run onto old churches like that one and photograph them. I'm glad to see this one is still having services, and they keep their building splendidly. So glad you were able to visit good childhood memories and I'm sorry about Mr. P's vertigo.
Debbie

Debbie said...

PS I think you are a great encourager!

Cheryl said...

It's a blessing to have such sweet childhood memories! So nice that you were able to make this trip down memory lane.

Thank you for sharing the story of the man whose words were such an encouragement to you. It is a reminder to BE a source of encouragement to others.

Hugs...

Debbie said...

Good morning! Hearing about your early church beginnings and sharing in those wonderful memories of yours, gives me a glimpse into why you have become the sweet, encouraging woman who soo blesses us all here in blogland! LOVED hearing about this. It is an encouragement to be careful what we say, and to take every opportunity we get to bless those around us...never know what will stick, and God will use. Have a wonderful day!

Christine said...

You are proof of how important Grandmas are to the little ones!
What a legacy to hand down to your grandchildren!
This (and so much more) is why I love to visit The Farm!
It's so encouraging!

Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful church. How nice for you to get to get back there. I do hope your husband feels better now.

Vee said...

Yes, memories like yours are wonderful ones to be sure. I really like the style of this little country church. My girlhood church looked a little similar to include the square vertical belfry tower on the front right of the building. Sadly, it was taken down and made to look much different in recent years so I am really enjoying your photos. Our pastor mentioned Charles Wesley and how Methodists got their name yesterday. Something about Mr. Wesley's "methods." Also, he gave Wesley's testimony based on a sermon Wesley wrote called "Almost Christian." It was fascinating!

Hope that your hubby is feeling lots better!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sorry that Mr. P has vertigo. My husband has had it a few times, and it's frustrating.

That church is sweet and what precious memories you have. I agree with you about encouraging children, and giving them a 'vision' for what they can accomplish.

Deanna

Elena said...

I just love hearing your childhood memories! The pictures are so lovely of the church. I just couldn't get over the color of the sky. The most beautiful blue!

Debbie said...

OK, late to this party here, but I have to tell you how much I loved this post. I have similar memories of a church, but mine is the "little brown church in the vale."

I love the story about you being encouraged and paying it forward with encouragement. That's what it's all about. (Hokey Pokey...)

Jenni said...

Hello, dear friend Sue! What wonderful memories you have and what a pretty church! It looks like it belongs in a Thomas Kincaid painting... And, I must say, you are quite the encourager, yourself... I know, for I have been on the receiving end of your uplifting words...

Hugs,
Jenni

Rebecca said...

That is a beautiful church, Sue - and your childhood memories even MORE beautiful.

Sorry to hear your hubby is experiencing vertigo (and that it's hanging on - I read a later post before I read this one....). I had a brief experience with it and thought it might have been related to allergies/sinus - as in the congestion in the ears, etc. Hope it passes soon for him.