Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Embracing the situation, and memories~

Written by Sue, Thursday, January 30, 2014         30 degrees, sunny, but snowed in.
Having snow only once in a blue moon, can bring about memories that you have tucked away in your heart, one such memory came to mind yesterday...... I remember many years ago, leaving the hospital with a tiny bundle of joy in my arms, it had started snowing early afternoon and by the time I was officially discharged it was almost dusk, the snow was coming down so fast and hard , that I didn't know if we would get our precious newborn home safely.We did, he is our snowbird, he loves snow and has moved to where there is snow on the ground for months!~smile~

At this time babies wore cloth diapers, I had no clothes dryer other than the sun to dry and kiss my clothes! Having a new baby meant diapers that needed washing, back then, I would find myself washing clothes as soon as they were soiled, my how things change. I so vividly remember the next day being out in ankle deep snow hanging diapers and baby clothes on the line,(Mr P. was at work, and would have had a conniption fit) The sun had come out and the temps. were above freezing. One thing we can count on here in the south, when it snows it doesn't stay around for long, with 2014 being an exception. ~smile~
~Mr P.'s photos, ~
Taken while out feeding the animals yesterday~

 Sheep absolutely do not like snow, 
they only came out to eat, 
 then high tailed it back to the shelter!
 The pond is partly frozen, 
just a thin sheet of ice, 
no walking on this stuff!!
Ducks take it all in stride!
 A lesson for me to learn!!

It truly is a winter wonderland,
however, I am getting cabin fever, 
as soon as the secondary roads are clear,(tomorrow)
I will be out and about, with camera in hand,~grin~
But first homemade chicken, rice soup, 
a perfect cure for cabin fever!

Enjoy your day,
Blessings,
Sue

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were experiencing cabin fever today, too! Such a precious photo of your baby; how special that it snowed for the homecoming! Love the photo of your sheep. I'm with them...I don't like the cold either!
Your soup makes me hungry. Hope you have a lovely afternoon.
Mildred

Angela said...

Mr. P. took some great photos. It really is beautiful, and having a chance to snuggle in with nowhere you have to go sounds pretty good to me:) Your soup looks delicious -- and warm!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That's a precious memory!

Where I grew up we never had snow, but now I live where we get snow ever winter. Some years more than others such as this year!

Deanna

ellen b. said...

Sweet memory and beautiful photos. Love all those sheep! Glad you can take care of your cabin fever tomorrow. That soup looks delicious!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, love hearing about your early years! So much has changed over the years; when we had babies hubby demanded disposable diapers-who am I to argue. Both my girls use cloth though. Hope you get out tomorrow, we will be house bound if the storm is as bad as they say. Hugs, Noreen

Debbie said...

Oh I remember those cloth diapers well. Soo much more work, lol. Melody had disposables and it was nice as I was soo busy with her big brothers by then. It is sooo gorgeous there with the snow. Love the duck pond picture. Soup sounds good. It is cloudy, and cool here today. Finally seems kind of like a winter day. Hope you get out and about tomorrow!

Debbie said...

We bought our first home when Angela was a little baby. Up until that time I'd used disposable diapers. But as soon as we closed on our house we bought a washer/dryer combo which I'd help pay for by using cloth diapers when we were at home. It wasn't too bad, but if you've never dunked a dirty diaper in the commode and wrung it out, well you're pretty fortunate. Those cloth diapers were so thick and soft. They aren't made as well now. I only hated those plastic covers! Especially when there was a 'failure'. :D
That soup looks so good! I wish I were closer...I'd come for a bowl!
Deb

Vee said...

I was always glad that I had an autumn baby and a spring baby since it meant there'd be no wee newborn out in the cold or in a drafty house. Who'd have guessed that you had a winter baby with snow, too. It looks so pretty there wearing white!

happyone said...

I remember the days of cloth diapers too. In the winter the diapers would freeze and be as stiff as boards out on the line. Had to take them in to thaw.

I still don't have a dryer though and prefer to hang them outside. When the weather is bad I hang them inside.

Farm Girl said...

I so love your memories. I could read more of them. It was different then with cloth diapers. :)
I love the winter wonderland that is your place. It is just beautiful The pictures of your pond are just breath taking.
It will soon be gone like you said.
It is lovely though, your soup looks yummy too.

Cheryl said...

Sweet memories indeed! Awww..what a precious gift to arrive along with the snow!

This has been some winter so far. I am hoping that the summer is cooler than normal too. (Wishful thinking?) :)

Patsy said...

Always love reading your blog and what great photo's. With very sweet memories.

Kathleen said...

Hi Sue,
We brought our bundle home in a Feb snow storm too! I remember dh carrying him into the house and forgetting to come back and help me up the 12 in of snow covered driveway! Some things never change, lol!

I am looking forward to not seeing snow, it has been around for weeks now, and so cold it has turned to ice.
Makes simple chores so difficult for those with disabilities.

Even though we are in NY and snowstorms are frequent , it is the same scenerio each time in the supermarkets! I am usually equipped to be housebound for 5 days, but I guess others aren't. There are only 2 of us, but my son and dil have 5 little ones, so they are always running to the store before a storm! Can't run out of Pampers! :)
Show me Spring pics, I've seen enough snow!

Lois Christensen said...

Your photos look lovely! And your soup delicious. When our daughter, Olivia, was born it was snowy also and she had to stay in the hospital after I was discharged since she was a premie and it did keep snowing off and on for a few days until she could get home with us. Lovely memories.

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

What fun memories - and cute babies! I can remember those, cloth diaper days, I really loved hanging diapers on the line, and having them fresh and clean for my little baby!

Living in Idaho, we usually have terrible winters, but for the past few years, we have had hardly any snow, especially in the valley. We had a little bit on Wednesday, and a few flakes this morning, but nothing like we normally get - Mother Nature is very mixed up this year!

Your pictures are just beautiful, but, I do hope you warm up soon, your poor little sheep need some sunshine, (I love sheep... :0))!

Hugs,
Barb

Kathi said...

Your son was such a precious little baby. It is so true that different events, sights, smells, and sounds can all trigger memories from the past. Your home is lovely and calm. The snowfall is peaceful. Kathi

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I always love seeing what is going on at your beautiful place, Sue. I didn't know about sheep not liking snow. I'll bet they are looking forward to spring just like we are!
Have a nice weekend!

Elena said...

The snow is so beautiful but like you I am glad to see it go. When the snow stayed on the ground for 2 weeks here in December it was so strange. It had never done that before. Your son was darling and your soup looks so good right now!!

Debbie said...

I loved your memory as much as I loved the pictures of your beautiful farm in the ice and snow.

It really is beautiful, isn't it? I have told folks that snow sort of has the pumpkin latte effect in the south. We love it because it isn't something that we can ever have "too much" of.

I'm still sort of grinning at the picture in my head of you and the freeze dried diapers.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Look at that sweet baby boy of yours! This weather must be so unusual for you. The photos you have shared are all so pretty. That delicious pot of soup is wonderful :)