Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Would you like a slice of pie?


Written by Sue, Thursday, January 23, 2014        Cold, sunny,  a beautiful day, temps. 40's

Did you know today is National Pie Day, I didn't until I visited bj over at Sweet Nothings, like me, she loves pie too! As a matter of fact I prefer pie over cake,I don't really have a favorite, cherry, pumpkin, chocolate, lemon meringue,pecan, well you get the picture!

When I was a child I always loved coming home after school, opening the door, smelling something yummy baking in the oven, usually it was a pie. My Mom always, and continues to do special things for her family. If I ever needed her, most of the time I would find her in her kitchen either baking, or cooking something special for us.Even when times were lean she always made sure our meals were special, as was our time spent at the table.



 It was then that our Father, engaged us in conversation about matters of the heart as well as school, news, and goings on in the neighborhood.Each of us were made to feel important, because our parents "listened".
 It was also at this table, manners were taught, if we wanted something we were to say "pass me this or that please." No elbows were on the table, napkins were in our laps, we chewed with our mouth closed. ~smile~and  never ever were we allowed to get down from the table without asking to be excused! I never once thought this was to rigid, because this was a practice that was going on in most homes at this time. I am truly thankful today for my parents and  my heritage!!   OH!! where have table manners gone?
Oh! my goodness this was suppose to be a post about pie!!So in honor of National Pie Day, Have a slice or two of pie, how about chocolate meringue!


To all who come by to visit us here at the farm, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart, I truly have missed visiting with you my friends, and have been trying to do some catching up since yesterday! I have done both blogging and face book, and have found blogging to be more personable, and blogging wins hands down, however I have wanted to try Pinterest for awhile, we shall see!! If it stays cold as long as they say it is, I will be doing more sitting by the fire chatting with y'all! ~smile~
Hugs,
Sue

20 comments:

Happy@Home said...

Knock Knock... I'm standing here with my plate held high waiting for a piece of pie. :)
Loved reading your memories of sharing family time around the kitchen table. It sounds very similar to the way I was brought up. Makes me sad to often see family members immersed in their texting while gathered together at the table nowadays.
So glad you are back to the blog world.

Vee said...

I considered pie baking today as a result of BJ's post, too. In the end, I wimped out. I did make Pannukakku for supper...that probably doesn't count. Pinterest is fun and very addicting.

happyone said...

No, I didn't even know there was such a day. I love pie too. Lemon Meringue is my favorite. My gramma's were the best. : )

Debbie said...

I'm at the back of the line with my paper plate (no washing)but I'm sure more will come. I hope that is a really big pie. Thank you.
Table manners have gone the way of two parent families and family dinners. With the loss of the big things the little things have gone too. Society is beginning to show the stess of these missing assets, and it's not pretty. Thank goodness there are still a few that believe that the little things really aren't so little!

ellen b. said...

Enjoy that cozy fire. I should have bought a pie for small group tonight! What a blessing to come home to a warm welcome. My mom was always there when we came home, too.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Yummy, what a delicious looking pie and I do prefer pie over cake too.

Yes, families today I'm afraid are missing those around the table family meals and the sweet times that can be had. My meal times growing up were much like you described. We shared our day and sure didn't have the interruptions of TV, cellphones or even a regular phone. Those were the days!!

Happy weekend!

Mrs. W said...

Yummy looking pie! Good to "see" you! Is that your daughter? She's gorgeous like you!

~Angela

Cheryl said...

I, too, choose pie over cake. I am drooling right now over your chocolate meringue creation! Yum...

Stay warm, enjoy Pinterest, and eat some pie for me! :D

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I do like pie - especially a good chocolate or peanut butter and chocolate! But I do love a wonderful apple pie too…

My husband LOVES pie. Why then do I rarely make it? hmmm

I think I may have to remedy that soon!

Stay warm Sue!

Deanna

NanaNor's said...

Dear Sue, I for one have really missed you! National pie day huh?
Wish I could eat some of that pie; I even have Pie in the Sky cookbook about cooking at high altitude. Unfortunately, unless I make the crust gluten free I can no longer eat it. Oh well. Hope you have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs, Noreen

Anonymous said...

beautiful pie - now you have gone and done it -- I've gotta go make a pie - wink - to hard it pass by...
Hugs

Debbie said...

Oh how I have missed pie since going gluten free! I love it! And like you doesn't matter what kind it is. My Aunt made a wonderful chocolate meringue pie every Christmas that seriously we almost would fight over...it was soo good. She taught Melody how she made it, but truthfully NO ONE could make pie crust the way she did. I have tried and tried...haha Anyway, eat some with for me! Pinterest is fun, but almost overwhelming sometimes, lol Enjoy your week-end Sue!

Farm Girl said...

Well once you get on Pinterest, my goodness, it is a huge time waster. But a very nice one. I try to limit my time there. I think it is the same as catalogs, they just make me a bit or maybe a lot sometimes discontent.
I am so glad you are posting and so glad you shared it was an excuse to make pie. I love pie too and have so many yummy fruits in my freezer to make into pies.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Debbie said...

I could have written every word of this post. I couldn't agree more about table time and table manners. My fondest memories are STILL made at the table.

Happy Belated Pie Day!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hello Sue,
So great to hear from you and I have
truly missed you.........was just
thinking about coming to visit you
and see if all was well, and there you were.............
and chocolate merenque pie sounds
wonderful, haven't had that in years and years, and lemon merenque either. I am more of a pie eater now that I used to be,
really like them better now, guess cause they are must better for you especially if you don't eat the crust. Which is what we usually do, maybe just a smidge of the browned crust!! lol
I just took my decorations down
yesterday and am about to finish packing them up, had to wait for
hubby to bring in the big big tubs and run to the grocery store this morning first, so that will be my afternoon along with making some lemon chicken soup...can hardly wait to have it. Made it last year and haven't had it since, so
that will be a nice treat.
and Yes, you are so right where did manners go.....and etiquette.
It would certainly be nice to see those resurrected for sure.

Well, glad you decided not to quit blogging cause you are always so much fun to visit.........and always have uplifting stories and things to say, a precious commodity in this day and age.

Blessings my friend and welcome back to the blogosphere!
Nellie

Oh and thanks for coming by and for your sweet comments as always.

Angela said...

It was cold here yesterday too, but I didn't realize it was National Pie Day and made an oatmeal cake instead! It's been awhile since I made a pie. I love chocolate but my husband's favorite is butterscotch.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love chocolate meringue pie!! It's one of my favorites. I quite agree about table manners needing to be taught.
Enjoy your weekend, Sue!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, how perfect your pie looks! And, how special the memories you have shared. A joy stopping by to visit with you!

Trish said...

Oh yum..I love anything with meringue, Sue!
I agree with you about manners..sadly lacking these days.
As for Pinterest..I enjoy it a lot..maybe a bit too much, lol!
So much inspirational pics out there..but I prefer blogging to FB too.
It's nice to see your beautiful face again, my friend! love..Trish xx

GretchenJoanna said...

I'll have to add that holiday to my calendar, and maybe next year I can celebrate it properly. January is a fitting time to eat this best kind of comfort food. Thanks!