Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~I really have a very good excuse~

Written by Sue, Wednesday, February 26, 2014           cloudy, some rain, cold temps. 40's
To all who visit  Pear Tree Lane, thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I usually try and respond to comments before writing a new post, but I am making an exception this time, You see I have been out of phone service,(which meant no internet, and no Notecard Party at Vee's this month, I don't have a smart phone but am seriously considering one)  lack of service was due to a severe electrical storm we had in our community. I have never experienced seeing and hearing so much thunder and lightening strikes in all my life, it lasted for 1 3/4 hrs. We are used to electrical storms in the summer, but none as severe as this winter one was.

The repairman said the lightning probably struck near our underground phone line and when it reached the ground it kept right on going, hitting the underground line and straight to the house to the protective box it went. It blew the top off of the box into many pieces. The box has been replaced and a temporary line is in place until the phone company can plow a new line in. I am so thankful the lightening did not hit the house, goodness knows what  the outcome would have been.

This is the damage, the hit was so hard the lid exploded, I found pieces all around.
 This is the message I saw on  my phone
 A new protective box and temp. line, our service was restored late  Friday, and then
these precious ones came for a weekend visit to celebrate grandson Wills birthday . They humored me by wearing the princess crowns. All was not lost last week, we soon forgot our woes!~smile~Have I mentioned that Will serves our country through service in the Navy?
 His favorite cake, ten layer chocolate cake, yes, there are ten layers on this cake.,  the layers are not chocolate just the best chocolate icing ever!
They are the cutest couple, here Jen is helping Will with his new deer stand! I am always asking  myself  "where did time go?" I remember when Will was about five yrs. old, his dad built a small platform deer stand, he and I would walk through the pasture to the edge of the woods to that deer stand, he would have his toy bow and arrow in his hand,we would climb up in the stand, I would be just talking away, he would turn to me,  with his little fingers pressed on his sweet lips, and say, "Shh!shh!, Maw Maw, you might scare the deer away."  I would then sit quietly there with him as he so anxiously waited for his deer, about sunset we would meander back to the house, with him saying " tomorrow we will get our deer."Aah, sweet memories, hope you are making lots of them with your children and grandchildren

~Was my story convincing enough, did my photos show the proof in the pudding,  am I forgiven? Anyhoo
This Is My Story and I am Sticking to it. ~Grinning~

Hugs,
Sue

15 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Missed your sweet, smiling face around here, Sue!

So glad you didn't have a fire or that lightning didn't damage the house! It's been crazy weather this year.

Your grandson is very good looking and I thank him for his service! The Navy tradition is strong in our family.

Deanna

Debbie said...

Good morning! Wow! Soo glad that is all the damage there was. Such crazy, crazy weather this year. We are FINALLY getting some rain! It has rained all might. Love hearing it fall. Will is soo nice looking, and yes they make a darling couple. Glad they got to come for a visit. Thank him for his service for all of us! Enjoy your day Sue!

Vee said...

You don't need any excuse, but, if you did, that was a great one. Where did you ride out the storm? I'd have been under the bed.

ellen b. said...

Yikes! Your really got hit hard. I'm glad that all is restored again. Looks like you have a wonderful relationship with your grandson! Thank you Will for your service.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You're excused! I just hate lightening like that. I think every tree in our yard has been hit by lightening which leads me to worrying about our house and wonder what makes our yard such a target!
Glad to know your phone service is restored and that your house was spared!
Many thanks to Will for his service. What a cute couple!

Farm Girl said...

Well I am relieved that it didn't hurt your house. That must have been so scary with it it going on like that for so long.
Yes, time does go by too fast. I am glad though that you had visitors like that. Glad you are back now.

Anonymous said...

So thankful your damage was not worse. It was bad enough and like others, I wonder where you rode out the storm?
Love the "crowns" and that chocolate cake looks wonderful! God bless Wills as he serves our country.

Debbie said...

You are forgiven! I have to forgive you for two reasons. 1. I have been incommunicado too...
and 2. Your time with Will was more than enough reason and the storm damage just gravy on the taters.

(I wish I had a smart phone too, but I am probably too dumb to use it.)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

You are a doll and I am so glad this can be fixed easier than the water last time..but then again you got a whole new house(almost)
Your visits are always precious and remind me of what life is all about.Thanks for letting me learn from such a wonderful example.
Ben and I send our love!

SarahGeorge said...

Glad,everything is right back to normal now. Serving the country is one such GREAT thing I admire and respect! Hats off to your son.
Hope to see you often :)

Anonymous said...

Lightening and thunder - not a peaceful time for sure.. glad you were not hurt -- but the electrical-box that's enough of a issue to get fixed..wink..

Grand children are indeed blessings

Hugs

Christine said...

You sure have had your experiences with the elements!
God bless you and your precious farm.

The cake looks sooooo good! What a wonderful grandma to make him favorite cake.
God bless Will for his service!!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Good grief, that was a HIT and so glad it didn't do more damage.

What a cute b'day cake for a fine young man. Bet he loves his Grandma!

Glad you are back and I'm thinking you would love a smart phone. :o)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How scary the storm must have been. So happy to hear it didn't hit the house. Sweet birthday photos :)

Anonymous said...

Sweet post and sweet memories of your boy. The time sure does fly, doesn't it? Love the idea of a TEN LAYER chocolate cake, by the way! Have you posted the recipe anywhere? I have tried to do a four layer cake before, with whipped cream and frosting between the cake layers, and it always looked so lopsided, we started calling it The Ugly Cake. And then I just gave up on cakes and started doing cupcakes for birthdays. But if the layers are frosting . . . (mind spinning here). Maybe I could manage that!