Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~It's That Time Again~, Or Is It?

Written bu Sue, Thursday, April 16, 2015              rain showers, cool temps. 50's

I love halos especially on angels.~wink~ Canning citrus fruit has been on my to do list for sometime; since the season was soon ending I decided it was time, if I had known it was going to be this easy, I would have done it sooner. Next, I am going to try a combination of fruits. Ha ha

The first step is to wash, rinse,sterilize, the jars, lids, and caps,  

After peeling,
Perfection!

 take the pith,(that's the white strings you see.) They are bitter, this is the most time consuming of this process, but well worth the time. When I researched this on the internet, I found that companies use a chemical solution to remove the pith. I'd rather not do this, so I peel. ~smile~

All clean and ready to place in jars.


Prepare a light syrup, 2 cups sugar, 6 cups water, mix, you could make it sweeter, I choose the light syrup, bring to a boil! At the same time I am bringing the lids and caps to a boil, turn burner off.
 Pack clementines in sterilized jars, I will either sterilize my jars in my oven on 200 degrees, or use the dishwasher, it depends on how many jars I have, this time I used my oven.

add syrup,


 stir to get air bubbles out, wipe rims, place lids and caps on,process in boiling water bath for 10 mins. time starts when the water starts back to boiling.

Voila', my own  mandarin oranges, ready for salads, desserts, including mandarin orange cake!



 Does this mean, that my food preserving for 2015 has started? ~smile~Na, just a little side stepping here.~wink~ This time of the year I would rather be outside in my garden!


Personal note*
I dearly love blogging, and have met and made some wonderful friends, as I was looking back over my previous posts, I could hardly believe the few times I have written and posted, after all this is suppose to be a journal of my life! Life situations happen and one has to prioritize, as most of you can relate!
Thank you Dear Friends who visit and or comment; a heartfelt "Thank You"!
Love,
Sue

25 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, these look delicious! I love mandarin oranges. You are such a busy bee and no wonder life gets in the way of your blogging. But, we'll always be right here when you do have time. Happy weekend!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh I love when you can...so inspiring. Benjamin just loved the helicopter story and then went on to talk about you! He still enjoys hearing from you. Now stay busy lady and enjoy life, which you always do! Hugs

Vee said...

They look so pretty and must taste so fresh and delicious.I love mandarin oranges. What would ambrosia be without them?

Carol said...

Those little jars full of cuties are adorable! You do such wonderful things in your kitchen.
Thanks for commenting on my blog today. It's so good to hear from you.
Take care!

Smiles,
Carol

Anonymous said...

I really admire the fact that you keep this craft up. Unfortunately it skipped me but fortunately my mom's canning skipped to my son! Those little jars of halos are adorable! FYI: Our son-in-law who was stationed at Camp LeJeune is now out of the Marines and he and our daughter are living in the next town from us while he finishes his schooling. We are happy that he had a good experience and came back safe and sound!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Halos and Cuties are the best tasting! We love them here at our Cottage.

I would never have thought to can them myself. It seems very simple. Hmmm, might be a good project for the kids to learn to can.

Deanna

Barb said...

Hi Sue,

I have never thought about canning my own Clementines, what a great idea! I'll bet they taste better than the store bought oranges. I love how easy the peel, they are one of my favorite treats! You have inspired me!!

Hugs,
Barb

P.S. Sue, just so you know, I have always thought that your picture is just gorgeous!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Well, look at these beautiful jars of mandarin oranges! I know they are just as delicious as they look too. That's because all you do is filled with love and kindness. Sweet story about the helicopter and Rain overseeing the operation. :)

Farm Girl said...

I have never thought about making these, but what a great idea! So easy too. Thanks for sharing.

happyone said...

They look delicious. I like how it all looks so neat and tidy. Looks easy enough to do.

Happy@Home said...

I love clementines and buy mandarin oranges on a somewhat regular basis. Would I ever think to turn clementines into m. oranges??? No. That's one of the many reasons I love visiting here.
Also, I love your header. So pretty.

Geneva said...

I don't think I would have ever thought to can clementines, but yours look delicious. Now that you've shared this "easy" method, I may just have to try it for myself. Thank You so much!!! xo

bj said...

Well, it seems our minds are so running on the same tract...I was just telling Mr. Sweet today that with strawberry season about to get hot and heavy, I wanted to be sure and make more Strawberry Freezer Jam...we love it so, it's sooo easy and I can't wait.
Your oranges look amazing. I am so lazy that I just buy mandarin oranges in the can, open 'em up and eat every one. LOL

bj said...

...am I just missing your Google Friend Connect so I can follow you?

Cheryl said...

You have made it look so easy, Sue! And your jars of oranges are so appealing (no pun intended). ;) Yum!!

No worries about blogging frequency. No obligations...no pressure. We're just glad to have a visit with you when you can!

Happy Springtime, friend!!

Wanda said...

Sue, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I truly enjoyed the tour of your canning and love the look of rows of jars of goodness and love.

I have several Sue's that visit and I'm thrilled to have you too.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You make canning look so easy, Sue. I used to can when we had a bigger garden, but I haven't done so in many years. I do still freeze several things, tho.
I always enjoy visiting your blog, don't worry about those times when you are busy, we understand!
Have a nice weekend!

M.K. said...

I've never seen canning citrus before, Sue -- thanks for sharing that! We bought halos just the other day, but we eat them up SO fast :) Thanks for stopping by my blog (Through a Glass, Darkly).

podso said...

Now I'm going to get a clementine or orange to eat! What fun to read this and learn some things. I've never canned before. Also enjoyed reading your helicopter post and about going back to work. What a blessing you can be to the family of the gentleman you are caring for. My dad also dealt with that disease and was a retired minister, so it's all close to my heart. Have a good week!

deafnsmart said...

Thanks for sharing this! Does anyone know how much syrup to put into the jars?

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Sue, Your post, your home and your heart is always in the right place!
I wanted to thank you for coming to my blog and commenting! Your photos inspire us all! Life has a way of just making us to stop and to do the most important things. I will need to get caught up on your blog and life!
Blessings, Roxy

NanaNor's said...

Dear Sue, Your life is always overflowing-either with fruit from your garden or life in general. So good to see this post and how to can these cuties! I am going to pass it onto my girls, whose children eat them by the flat. We had a nice morning, but the clouds have rolled in and rain/snow are sure to follow. For now, I'm just reading outside and not planting-it is much too early. Sending lots of love your way!
Noreen

Anonymous said...

LOVE it when you show me step to step.. I am missing canning.. You make it so easy - thanks for the idea - I forgot about those sweet fruit that you can can them too.
Hugs

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Morning Sue,
It was so great to hear from you, and
have wondered where you have been....
and now I know........what a precious
ministry to the dear Pastor and family.
I am sure you are a treasure to them.
I love clementines, yet I rarely get
them cause you have to buy a whole crate and I am the only one who eats
them, so.......
Was just thinking my son Scott loves them too, so I should see if he wants to split a crate some time....lol

I bet those clemintines would be great on a tropical fruit salad that I make, and hubby will eat that and
it has mandarin oranges but am thinking the clementines taste so
much better.

Wow, that was something that fellow had to set his helicopter down on your property, think this must have
been a divine appt. - as the folks in this house or so friendly, helpful and loving.........what a great way
to minister to them too, and as well
to your grandoson and his friends.

That was funny your horse was so interested in what was going on, I would think he would have run away as far as he could get.......

Enjoyed getting caught up with what has been going on with you. We miss
you in blogland, but know life is what it is and we have to just go with it............

But thanks so much for coming by and
for your encouraging comments as always.......

Blessings Sweetie,
Nellie

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Oh and by the way, I forgot to say
these canned clementines look amazing
and just wet my appetitie for some.

Have a great day!!
blessings, Nellie