Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Blueberry hand pies, as promised~

Written by Sue, Monday, July 20, 2015                  Hot~ Hot~ Hot~ temps. 100's 

Assemble your pastry ingredients,
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
pulse together in food processor add
2 sticks of butter cut up
1 teaspoon, vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
2 tablespoons of ice water, if needed add more


 pulse until a ball begins to form, remove and roll in a ball....
 wrap in plastic,place in refrigerator while getting the berries ready. This is one of the best pie pastry recipes I have ever tasted, and worked with! Meanwhile.......
Mix 4 cups berries, 1 tsp. lemon zest, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar, I add cinnamon to taste.Blueberries love lemon and cinnamon.
 Cut dough ball in half, place one in refrigerator while you roll the other. I take a saucer, and cut out a circle
.
Place 1/4 cup of berry mixture, fold in half
pinch the half together,crimp edges with fork.
prick top with fork, use an egg wash,.. whip 1 Tablespoon water to 1 egg, brush on hand pie,sprinkle a little sugar on top!
place on parchment paper in preheated oven at 350 or 375 degree, for 30 mins. or until done and brown.

What is missing in the above photo?, Ice cream of course, Mr P loved his hand pie anyhow, need I say more.



The recipe makes 8 hand pies, I  made two batches today,froze them on a tray, for a couple of hours.


Next, I placed them in food-saver bags,
in the freezer they went.


These keep so well in the Food-Saver bags much longer than regular freezer bags. A Food-Saver is one of the best kitchen gadgets you can invest in!

Here are a few advantages of making and freezing hand pies....

1~ So convenient, some times you need a dessert in a hurry that looks and taste like you worked for hours for unexpected company,
2~ Children come home from school hungry, makes a great snack!
3~Time saver!

Thats about all from the farmhouse for today,  I plan to make other hand pies as fruit is available, and have some great recipes to share. I apologize for so many photos, but this is what happens with a tutorial!~smile~

I hope you are having a most blessed day.
Love, 
Sue

I am linking with Stephanie at Roses of Inspiration, thank you for hosting Stephanie,


23 comments:

Vee said...

Oh yum! They look so delicious. I love a good, homemade hand pie! Of course, your hubby loved them. Bet he looks forward to berry season all year. What else can you use for filling? Peaches? Apples? Chocolate? (Did I say that?)

Sue said...

All of the above and more Vee, ~smile~ Thanks for coming by!

Anonymous said...

Those pies look delicious, Sue! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Carol said...

They look delicious! If my hubby sees this he'll be wanting me to make hand pies for him.

Smiles,
Carol

Betty said...

These look yummy! Are the ones you froze cooked? They don't look it. If not, how do you cook them?

Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness...it is a good food day in Blogland! First there were Vee's Blueberry-Orange Scones. Then Lorraine's Key Lime Pie. Now here you are with your tempting Blueberry Hand Pies! What is a girl to do? :D

Thanks for the recipe and the tutorial, Sue!!

Stephanie said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my! How I would love one of these right now. Your blueberry hand pies look incredibly tasty, my friend, and I must put them on my "To Make" list :)

Thank you so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Have a lovely week! Hugs!

Daniela said...

This recipe is truly not to forget, I come from Stephanie and I felt inspired by your post ... iI wasn't mistaken at all !!!
Thank you so much,
have a joyful day
Daniela

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Yummy!

I love this idea! Peach season is coming up soon, and I love Vee's idea of chocolate!

Thanks for the recipe Sue!

Deanna

Debbie said...

oh my I have NO DOUBT these are just delicious...I can practically smell them lol. Your tutorial made these seem pretty easy and the recipe for the crust sounds just delicious.. I hate the fact that I have been forced to go gluten free means I can't try this recipe. I imagine I can substitute gluten free flour, but truthfully nothing ever tastes as good when I do....I was thinking like Vee. Think of the possibilities for fillings. Peach sounds good to me! lol Enjoy your day Sue!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

This is great. Ben loves to cook and he would so enjoy these. He has been on Uncle duty so much, he would enjoy the break. Thanks for sharing.

Happy@Home said...

Your hand pies look delicious. I like the idea of having them tucked away in the freezer for a taste of summer in the cooler months. I imagine there are a multitude of good things tucked away in your freezer and pantry.
Thanks for taking the time to do a tutorial for us.

Maryann said...

You took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting Hand Pies". This is a perfect recipe for those of us that have "Empty Nests" I know my hubby would enjoy these. Thanks for sharing the recipe

happyone said...

Oh they look soooo good. My mouth is watering. : )
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Barb said...

Hi Sue~

Yes, I have been waiting for this recipe! I can hardly wait to make them! We will be picking Huckleberries in the next week or so, and I think that they would make a great combo with the blueberries...yummm! Thank you so much, my mouth is already watering!

Hugs,
Barb

Cheryl @ TFD said...

These look delicious! I will have to try this with some of those peaches I'm hoping to harvest soon...if the deer doesn't beat me to them! :) Thanks for the tutorial and recipe, Sue!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I want to try these today. I usually make 'fried pies' but these would be even better. Thanks for the recipe! Hugs, Diane

Conniecrafter said...

Those sound delicious! thanks for sharing

Christine said...

All that beautiful work!
My favorite picture is the empty plate.
Who needs ice cream when the smell, looks and taste are so wonderful!

Polly said...

oh WOW, these look scrumptious.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting and Oh my goodness -- made to perfection.. Thanks for the steps...Now gotta go try my hand at this..
your the best!

Hugs

living from glory to glory said...

Morning, I am going to try and make these soon! I will save it for a blue day... LOL You are a very wise lady and what a great homemaker! I bet your Hubby says, now that girl is a keeper!!
xoxo Roxy

Unknown said...

Oh my,Sue!I would love one of these right now. It's a cold, rainy morning, and they would go perfect with my morning coffee! They do look seriously yummy! Pinned! I can not wait to try making these! hugs, Christine