Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Sunday thoughts... words do matter

Written by Sue, Sunday, December 10, 2017           sunny, cold, temps. 40's

This season finds me feeling a bit nostalgic, even in my seasonal decorating, to me that is a good thing.
This church holds such a feeling for me, especially one summer long ago


When I was a child, I spent my summers with my widowed, paternal grandmother and her bachelor  brother who lived with her and helped her farm the land. They were a funny twosome, I was the apple of both of their eyes, One would say they spoiled me, but I say "I was just loved a lot."~wink~

Getting back to this church, which was not the one we regularly attended,


Each summer I would attend a week long Bible school at this church, at the end of the week we would have a commencement service in which the children would have a program of songs and memory verse reciting. I remember one particular time in which my fellow students were a little bashful, not me, I had memorized all the bible verses by heart and I led them all.


The next day, one of the fathers of the children , who was a friend of my uncle,  stopped by the farm, to visit. In those days visitors were a rarity, and as children would do, we listened to the adults talk.

I remember Mr Mclamb looking at me and telling my uncle of how proud he was of my leading the group in the program. He went on to say he didn't know what would have happened if I had not. You can only imagine how wonderful I felt.

Proverbs 25:11~ A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.

Words can either bless people or discourage them. The encouragement this man gave me as a young child, has gone with me all through my life. We never know the impact we have on others, through words and deeds. His words did indeed impact me, in a good way. I never forgot this man, and when I would see him from time to time I would remember the kindness he showed. He probably forgot, but I never did.

I have tried to teach my children , and grandchildren to think before they speak, words are so powerful!

May your day be filled and overflow with many blessings.
Love, 
Sue








.

9 comments:

ellen b. said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful memory and how it impacted your thoughts and life, Sue. Very special. Amen to your encouragement for us to consider our words. Blessings instead of cursing. :)

happyone said...

What a wonderful memory to have. Yes, so very important are the words we speak.
Your house looks beautiful!!

Barb said...

Hi Sue~

What a beautiful church! I love the memory you shared with us, how wonderful to think back and remember that time in your life, when you were a leader of verse! I love to tell young people, whenever I get the chance, how wonderful they are, especially if I can catch them doing a good deed. Kind words are never forgotten.

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a precious memory and one we can all learn from. Thanks for sharing this with us. Happy week my friend!

Rebecca said...

I ♥ small churches...
What a rich, beautiful memory!
And you are SO right about encouraging words.

Cheryl said...

That is such a sweet story . . . and encouraging to all of us to mind our words and use them for good!!

Christine said...

Reminiscing about the past, makes for great stories.
You have a wonderful memory from the past. Not only a memorable but wise. Watch our words.
Thank you for sharing!

Debbie Harris said...

Such a heart warming post.
Isn't it so very true, our words and deeds can encourage or discourage others.
Thank you for this beautiful reminder.

You are so beautiful~

Vee said...

It is wonderful that you approached this from the perspective of someone saying something positive. I am sure that you could have done it the other way around, but this is better!

The design of that church is so similar to the church I attended as a child. The steeple part has now been removed, which has changed the apoearance a lot...

You know what else? I imagine that you still remember all those Scriptures you memorized. ☺️