Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~And so it begins,~

Written by Sue, Tuesday afternoon, May28, 2019,....   Very Hot, Humid, 98 degrees today,WOW!!!
It's that time of year when we harvest and preserve, the food we grow here at the farm! It's what I call the "fruits of our labor"!

Last week, the english peas were ready, they were picked, washed, shelled


and canned in a pressure canner


We also went to a local 'pick your own' farm for strawberries, so enjoyable, Until this year we grew our own, because of a knee problem mr P. decided not to plant strawberries this year, 

I sure miss going out to my berry patch and picking my own berries, but whole heartedly support local farmers when we don't have what we need. How about you do you buy from local farmers?

I pre-froze some of the berries,

then packaged them using my Food Saver, ladies a Food Saver is one of the most useful and economic appliances you could have.The things you package last three times as long as regular freezer bags, a great investment!
I also  made two batches of strawberry jam, I must say they turned out great, so delicious. Making jam is one of the most rewarding things I enjoy doing every summer, most of the jams will be given to family and friends for the holidays and gifts. Each year I try and find new recipes, not a lot of luck this year. ~wink~


One of my favorite things to do in between chores, is, walk to the pond, sit on the deck,  bask, and meditate  in God's wonderful creations!
Yesterday was spent  remembering and honoring the men and women who gave the ultimate and willing sacrifice for our freedoms, such as expression of speech as I do here on my blog, freedom to worship, freedom to work and have a free market enterprise, freedom to protect!

I saw a wonderful program Sunday night on PBS honoring all those who died in combat during all wars, it was so moving! I am so glad I stopped, watched, and recorded this program.  I am also glad that there is a day set aside each year to remind us that our "Freedom Was Not Free", That a price was paid, and is still being paid for such freedom! May God Bless America!Hope you are having a great week!💝
 Love
Sue

15 comments:

Sandi said...

Looks like a lot of work, but I bet it's worth it!

happyone said...

Wow that sure is a lot of work, but I know you love doing it.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Such beautiful fruits of your labor, like a picture out of a magazine.
And, what a beautiful spot to relax and reflect.

Lorrie said...

Your preserving season is starting out with a bang! I love putting up food for the winter. Freezing strawberries is something I do, along with blueberries and raspberries. Jam making will come later in the summer.
The pond looks like a lovely spot for a break on a hot day.

Unknown said...

I wish I could have a farm house. Get well soon so you can grow more strawberries. great author.
Alisha recent posted
Mehndi Designs 2019


Theresa said...

Oh this reminds me of my childhood and my Mom preparing all of the goodies from the garden. We would enjoy them ALL Winter and beyond. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Cheryl said...

You're such a diligent farm girl, Sue! Your family must love the "fruit of your labors"! It's been a while since I have made jam . . . must put that on our summer list . . .

Vee said...

A lot of work ahead for you. Yes, I do enjoy buying fresh produce from local farmers. There are several farmers who have a can of money with a slot and operate on the honor system. I sure hope that none of that faith in humanity has ever been abused. Now is that your own private pond? river? lake? Very pleasant. I am glad that you take a break every now and then.

Wild Oak Designs said...

My what a lot of canning!
I usually make jam...but haven't yet this year...maybe I will make some strawberry jam....
Love that you do can....
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Shug said...

absolutely beautiful....I love seeing canned foods. Not only is it rewarding, knowing that the fruits of your labor are now on the shelfs in your home, but this kind of food is so much more healthy than those filled with preservatives.... Have a Blessed day...

Farm Girl said...

My beets will be my first canning project. I planted my peas too late. Its so nice to see you working again. We have had so much rain, the strawberries have been late.
So nice to see you today Sue.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so impressed with all that you do!

ellen b. said...

You really get a lot done at your place. You are an inspiration. Glad you have time in between to walk and rest and meditate.

Christine said...

I'm glad to see you sat down and enjoyed the moment.
Your hard work paid off or at least it will later.
It's always nice to visit the Farm!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I so admire you, Sue, with all that canning and freezing. I used to do that a lot. I still always make homemade jam, though!