Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

This is how our day went

Today was one of those days where everything just fell in place. I absolutely enjoy days like this. We discovered that our beets, squash, cabbage, and broccoli, needed to be picked and preserved.  Mother and I always work together preserving the produce. 


We were up early this morning, dh gathered the beets, while I was getting all of my canning supplies ready.
Here they are with tops cut off, and washed.


What a pretty site, we made pickled beets, There is a lot of work that goes into pickling any vegetable, but beets seem to have a little extra. My house smells so good tonight.lol

But all of the extra work is most certainly worth the effort. If by chance you see something yellow in the jars, well, that is our first picking of yellow squash.
We ended up with 16pts. and 4qts., of pickled beets, with more to come this week, 7 qts. of yellow squash, 4 large bags of cabbage, 8 bags of broccoli.
Not bad for a days work. EH!
  
This seems like a busy week for me, tomorrow, if the Lord wills, I will be caulking on the porch . God has given us a reprieve from the heat wave we were under. I really want to get a lot done this week. 


I guess that just about takes care of my day, I hope yours was filled with many blessings, After visiting some of you tonight I have a date with my sweetie to go sit in the swing and drink hot chocolate. Yum! 
Did I mention I have berries to pick too. Whew!
Hugs, 
Sue
Psalms 121:1~I lift my eyes to the hills----Where does my help come from?My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.

8 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

Thanks for your nice visit to my blog, I always love hearing from you :O)

Your pickled beets look so good! I love them - they remind me of my grandmother. I did plant beets, hopefully they will grow so I can pickle a few of them. Your yellow squash look so yummy too! I just barely planted mine - can you believe it? I can't believe we are so different in each area of the country.

I wish I was there with you sipping hot cocoa and swinging on your porch! Thank you for blessing my life!

Hugs,
Barb

♥ Kathy said...

That is so awesome! I can't wait to have my own yard and garden again! *hugs&love*

Deborah Ann said...

Wow, your gorgeous pictures really created a down-home-goodness kind of feeling. You are one classy lady!

Farm Girl said...

The pictures of the beets make my mouth water. I love nothing better than the smell of pickled beets. I know some people don't like that smell, (like my kids,) I love it though, I am so impressed with all of the work you got done in one day. That is incredible. I bet you slept like a log. :) Isn't it a nice feeling to fill up the pantry with the work of your hands. I always feel like the richest woman in the whole world as my pantry and freezer fills up.
Thank you so much for sharing and visiting my blog when I know you really had to be so tired.
Your porch swing sound like such a nice place to visit.
Back to cleaning house, washing some windows. :)
I hope you have a bit more cool weather.
Love,
Kim

Elena said...

Your produce is so lovely! I just love pickled beets. Thank you for your lovely comment on my last post. My heart goes out to your daughter and son-in-law in all their struggles with having children. I know how it is after it is all over, you love them so much that all your pain fades into the background as you look at their beautiful faces. Those little girls are just beautiful and the Lord is so good to us giving us such good and wonderful gifts!

Debbie said...

In a back door blessing, my sister and I are the only two members of my family (besides my mom) who like pickled beets.

I say blessing because when Mom serves hers, there is more for us!
I love them and had a little mouth watering moment when I opened this post.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

I can almost spell the pickled beets just READING your post. Good for you,Sue!