Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

"Aprons" & "Chicks"???

Written by Sue, Thursday September 22, 2011                    Cloudy, rainy, temps. 80's, perfect fall day!


While waiting for the rain to subside, (I  truly love fall days like this), I decided it would be a good time to post. We have been so busy finishing summer bounties, and starting  fall duties. If anyone lives or has ever lived on a farm, you well know that there is always something to do.~grinning~


My Dad's mother,who was a widow, lived and worked on a farm, her brother, (who was a bachelor), lived with her. He was the grandfather that I never knew, he spoiled me rotten, I have so many wonderful memories of time with both of them.


When my grandmother  dressed in the mornings, she would tie a bib apron around her very round tummy, she wore that apron all day. The first thing she did was to put on a big pot of coffee, that stayed on the stove all day, and was warmed over for supper.She prepared a big country breakfast, eggs, sausage, or ham, with grits, and homemade biscuits. theses biscuits were so big, and yummy. After breakfast she fed her chickens, and other animals. then it was on to milk the cow, I also remember listening to her praying in the barn, she prayed long and loud...... 
Proverbs 31:26,27~She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness. She watches over her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness;


That apron held eggs she had gathered, extra veggies, I have seen her wipe her brow with it when she was hoeing in the garden, she would fan it while she ran the chickens out of her garden, but one of my fondest memories was going to Sunday dinner after I was married. She would put her beautiful "Sunday Best" apron on, and serve us dinner........


While picking beans this week, I filed my bucket and had just a few more plants to pick and didn't want to go back to the house to  get another one, so I used my apron to hold the few I had left, just like she did...... note;  my camera is with me at all times. lol

I had just finished canning the beans,when... 
~thirteen pints~


the phone rings, it is Mr P. calling, asking me to hurry and  please come help him, "bring your camera", I knew right away it had something to do with an animal. ~lol~
grab the camera and go running,....there they were, I began gathering them and putting them in my apron, all the while Mr. P. laughing and saying  "wait I will get a bucket."
Aren't they the cutest, I want to hug them , ... and I did!
 Do you see the little yellow peep, that is not a guinea, it belongs to one of our hens, it seems she found the guinea hen's nest and decided to lay an egg, the guinea hen hatched it out. Here is the funny part, chickens take 21 days to hatch, guineas take 28 days. That little peep had to sit in the nest with the guinea for a week, we were pleasantly surprised that the g-hen stayed. Usually when a hen hatches she will only stay for a few days, I guess she must have felt them moving in the eggs, to me this "girl" gets a blue ribbon, a true sign of a good mother.
Wonder what this peep thinks about the brothers and sisters, who made he or she wait a week? ~big grin~ 
 Back to the story...
Are you kidding I had all those peeps in my apron before you could turn around. BTW, it happened so fast that he didn't have time to get the camera off of the hood of the truck. "Lucky me", This is the scene I believe he wanted to photograph......


A woman(me) with a red apron on her knees grabbing peeps as fast as she could while the mother guinea was trying to flog her, I wasn't going to stop, I knew I had a fight on my hands and had to move quickly,...  I was going to save those guineas. Whew!  mission accomplished.


Just in case you are wondering about  the apron, it  went in the laundry basket when I went back to the house.`lol`


went  back to the house wondering "why I was called", was it to help, or was it that a "certain farmer" wanted to be amused? hmmm! you be the judge. ~grinning~


Why take them away from the mother? Guineas by nature walk a lot, guinea hens will walk the newborns and because of being weak they die. We weren't going to take a chance with these. We either take them away and put them in a pen, or try and catch the hen with them, (I prefer this). After a few weeks when they are stronger and if they are with their mothers we will let them out. 
Guess what happened?
We put them in a pen with some other baby guineas, that were taken away last week. the g-hen has taken them all under her wings. Don't you just love a "happy"ending?


The rain has stopped and I must go pick grapes,.... hope to finish today. 


Thank you for your visits, and for all of your sweet notes, I so appreciate you all so much.
Until next time,
Sue

The 91st Psalm is one of my favorite Psalms, it offers so much comfort of abiding in His presence! 

Psalms 91:4~He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. 

Just as the guinea hen gathers her young under her wings to love and protect them, so does our Heavenly Father gathers us under His Wings for the same. How comforting this is to me....

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh what a beautiful post..My goal is to make aprons for all the women in my family for Christmas.. I remember my mom always wearing a apron when she cooked... I never picked up on that and I want to start...
Thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog...
Have a wonderful day..
((HUGS))
Lisa

Farm Girl said...

Oh I love the story about your grandmother, she sounds like mine. There was something comforting to know that we had the same kind of grandmothers. I kick myself, but when I had to go through the house after they died, she had hundreds of aprons, maybe generations of aprons and I gave them away. I was so heartsick even though it had been a year since they had died. My grandparents died a week apart.
I just couldn't think straight, now I wish very much I had kept them.
I love the story of all of your peeps. I also love the picture of the Mama and all of the babies and that she just took them all and that you got one chick. That makes me laugh.
I am so glad you get a fall day, we are in full blown summer 100+humidity for awhile longer.
Your beans look great.
Well, enjoy your beautiful fall day.
Now I have to go do school. :)

Anonymous said...

Awww I love this story! So cute I wanna hug them too.
Also I love the idea of an apron how handy. I remember my great grandmother did the same, she wore a house dress and an apron every day and used her apron in the same way. She's a happy memory thanks for this story so I could remember my own.

Elena said...

I just love your stories! Your beans look so yummy. The little chicks are just adorable!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Just so sweet! Psalm 91 is so precious isn't it! Lovely stopping by your farm :)

Jenni said...

Sue, what delight to read your homey and hearfelt words today. And I love the stories about your grandmother and your family... she must have been a wonderful Lady!

And I always enjoy the animal stories you share, and the photos, too!

Love Psalm 91.... what riches for the soul!
Hugs,
Jenni

A Hint of Home said...

I'm so glad the Lord carries me on his mighty wings of grace and shelters me under his wings.
Lovely post as always.
They are such cuties!
I can see you trying to catch them all in my mind's eye. lol
Have a great weekend!
Hugs!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, I loved this; I've heard stories of hens and other birds dying while protecting their young under their wings. It is so precious to realize the Lord protects us too.
Love reading about your day to day life on the farm-it makes me smile.
Hugs, Noreen

Debbie said...

Oh how I loved this visit to the farm. I had a land lady when I was newly married that wore a different apron like that every day. (had the same round tummy too) I LOVED them. She hung her sheets on the line so they would have that fresh air smell, baked bread from scratch every few days or so, and sat in the sun and painted china. What an influence she had on me as a young woman. She started my love of aprons that I have to this day. I have a few pieces of her china too that she gave as Christmas presents. She knew the Lord of course too which just added to what a wonderful woman she was. How I loved her. We live there almost 7 years. I have a feeling you have that effect on many who know you too! :)
Love that verse btw....Have a wonderful day! HUGS

Vee said...

Oh I think your hubby wanted to see your pretty face and if he was amused watching you run around catching little chicks, well, who could blame him? A post full of sweet goodness, Sue, and a wonderful reminder of how the Lord loves us and gathers us under His wings. Does He not tell us that He longs to do this? It is comforting.
(I tried to visit this morning and could NOT get in. I don't know if it was my computer or what. Anyway, glad I could land here tonight.)

Julie Harward said...

I know that you know how very blessed you and your hubbie are, to have such a place and such a life...days of work and joy! :D

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh another wonderful treasured post...I even had Benjamin get out of bed to come enjoy with me. He stayed by my side through each picture and the story of the chicks.

He is now yelling..."keep it on so Dad can see!" He is suppose to be going to sleep....Dad is praying with him....LOL, my little talker

Well back to my comment...love the story of your grandmother...what a heritage! I think I need to learn what they knew...prayer and working with your hands...the fruit of your labor will bring great contentment...which I also learn every time I visit here.

Great post...now I have to wait for Bill to get here and see the babies...orders from Benjamin

Debbie said...

Oh Sue! This is a wonderful post from beginning to end! You made me think of my own grandmother who ALWAYS wore a bib apron. She is the reason that I wear one too.

I love the picture with the chicks in the apron, and I love the happy ending to the story.

I'm so glad I sat down to visit this morning.

Happy@Home said...

Such sweet memories you have of your grandmother. She sounds like a wonderful and hard working lady.
Your little peeps are so precious and I love the happy ending.
Wishing you a happy first day of fall and a wonderful weekend.

Kathleen said...

What a wonderful post! I loved reading the busy ness of your day, and the abundance of your apron, and many blessings.
Have a wonderful First of Fall weekend!

Christine said...

"Farm living... is the place to be!"

The way your write, I was drawn in, following your every foot step.

And what a great story about your grandmother's apron. My grandma used her's to pray. When she needed a moment with God, the apron went over her face and head.
We knew not to bother her when she did this.

Susan said...

Do you ever wonder what your grand daughter's memmories of you will be?
When you think about what an impact your grand mother had on your life then look at your grand kids....do you wonder if you will have that kind of impact on their lives? or more? I do, I think about this all the time. I hope I will instill a love for all things home and all things good, a love for animals and what God has place into our care......Most of all though, I pray that the impact that I have on my grand kids will be for all of eternity.
Blessings, what a cute cute story!
I love the one lil chick, thats funny

Debbie said...

I loved your 'rememberin', and your sharing. What a nice story.
Deb

Cheryl said...

Sue, those baby chicks make me smile! You and your hubby work very hard on the farm...but there are so many joys, aren't there? I so enjoy when you share snippets of your life. And I love the way you see HIM in these day-to-day happenings! (I love the 91st Psalm too!)

You are such a blessing...

Abi's Blog said...

Hi, Sue - I'm Ava and I hopped over from Barb's Blog. I LOVE your blog- can't wait to read further. :) I pray you have a very blessed day! Love the scripture about being safe under His wings. In fact, I'm just about to have it painted on an old window for my SIL.
Blessings,
Ava
PS Abi is my "grandmother" name.

Kathi said...

What a darling story. I do love happy endings. I did not know this about G-hens. Thank you for sharing. Thank you also for your sweet comments of encouragement. Have a wonderful evening. Kathi

Rebecca said...

I DO love happy endings - and aprons, too.

Also appreciated the post "Footsteps" and the fact that you are a Pray-er, Sue. So many difficult stuff going on here, too. But for prayer, I'd be a Basket Case!

Trish said...

Sue, your guinea hen is a very beautiful bird and her babies are adorable!!
The yellow chick looks so big next to them lol!
I love aprons too and have a kitchen drawer full of them :-)
Never had one full of baby chicks though - how lovely they look in your red apron!
You have a wonderful gift for writing my friend..you are creating a beautiful legacy in words for your loved ones.
This is something I love about blogging - you can write and add photos to create your personal story for family and friends to cherish and enjoy.
That scripture is one of my favourites too..we are safely tucked up and hidden away from trouble when we are under our Father's wings :-)
blessings to you today..Trish

Walk In Truth said...

Sue,

Love, love, love hearing about your precious grandmother.

Oh, the babies, how darling, I wish I could hold them. I love the bright red apron, it made for an awesome backdrop for the newborns photographs :o)

You take such good care of your animals, they are so loved, and that just makes me smile. Oh, almost forgot, I like your new header photos with the horses, and Moo Cows :o) . I saw so many cows when we drove to Lake Tahoe Ca. a few years ago, and I think I said "Oh how cute" at least a thousand times.

Many Blessings to you & your family,
Love and prayers~ Michele