Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~A promise is a promise~


Written by Sue, Monday,July 29, 2013                beautiful, sunny, temps. 90's

I have been as busy as a bee in a honey suckle patch, and I am fulfilling a promise I made  to you a few years back, of sharing how I make my tomato meat sauce.
Last Friday I decided it was time to make said meat sauce, especially since I had most of the ingredients here on the farm. The number one rule around here is. "Always start with a clean kitchen and end with a clean kitchen. It just makes things so much easier. I canned 72 pints, not all stay here,I give 1/3 to my mom, 1/3 third to family and friends, and I keep 1/3 for myself.
(You might think this funny, but I love to walk by and gaze at these jars.)~smile~ 
My handy dandy equipment for canning, plus my pressure canner.
This is my trusty and all time favorite kitchen appliance. I call her 'Ellie Mae", I have had her for many years and she is so faithful.

Home grown tomatoes, delicious!!!

after tomatoes have been dropped in boiling water for one minute, I place them in ice cold water in the sink to cool, drain them. The peels just slide off so easy, I then core them, 
I bring them to a boil, set aside while I prepare the meat

To make things run more smoothly I gather all my ingredients together onions, garlic,,oregano, basil, parsley,hot peeper, bell pepper, were grown here on the farm. Other ingredients are lemon juice, salt, pepper, a little sugar to sweeten the sauce, mushrooms are optional, some I make with and some without. 
I have all of this chopped and ready to add to the meat once it is browned, and drained.

Brown the ground beef in olive oil, then drain any grease. This was 93% fat free organic beef, not much to drain.
add spices, and tomatoes, stir, then add tomato paste. cook until it thickens.
Almost ready, yummy for my tummy. For some unknown reason my family likes my meat sauce, hhhmmm, wonder why. Could it be a secret ingredient that I alway add... it is called "Love", and lots of it.

Have lids and caps boiling hot...

After pouring sauce in jars, wipe rims with a clean wet cloth, 

place lids and caps on jars,tighten and put in pressure canner process according to directions.
"Voila" meat sauce ready for spaghetti, pizza, or use on anything that requires tomato meat sause. this is so good, and really comes in handy, especially when in a hurry.
Lots of work, but well worth it!!

There is so much satisfaction in making your own sauce, especially when you are able to grow most of the ingredients yourself.
Hope to be back blogging regularly, very soon, A lot of things have been going on here on the farm, can't wait to share. And how is your summer going? 
Love, 
Sue

p.s. If you have any questions please feel free to ask or e-mail me at.. peartreelanefarmhouse@gmail.com

19 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

Oh my goodness - it looks delicious!! I would love the recipe! It seems like my life has gotten so busy, and this would really save me some time when life gets crazy!!

Thanks for posting!

Hugs,
Barb

Vee said...

It looks beautiful to me, too, Sue! I pinned this...if it's a problem, I'll remove it.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I would smile, too, if I had those beautiful jars lined up in my kitchen! It all looks sooo good, Sue. Enjoy!

Btw, I just love your porch. I think you must have the prettiest I've seen this summer!

Debbie said...

I somehow can just smell this Sue...and it is heavenly. Glad things are going well over there and you are busy as always. I had to smile at your thoughts on starting and ending with a clean kitchen...isn't that just the truth? Enjoy these summer days!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Fantastic!

I really like canning. We'll be doing peaches soon!

I also love seeing what you're up to on the farm!

Deanna

Cheryl said...

I love that you named your food processor!

I love that you walk by and gaze at the jars!

I love that you put "love" in each one!

I love that you popped in for a visit! I'll be looking forward to your next post and seeing what else you've been up to there at the farm!

{{Hugs}},
Cheryl

Angela said...

Oh Sue, our garden was a total bust this year, but I love to see what you've been doing in yours. And if I were you I would just love to gaze at my beautiful jars, too:)
Thank you so much for the directions!

Farm Girl said...

I know you make it look easy, but when I make my sauce, it is anything but easy. :) Your sauce is beautiful. My family prefers the home made sauce to that of store bought every time. In fact my boys will take a jar and a loaf of french bread and eat the whole thing for a snack. I but your kids do that too.
It was so nice to see a post. I hope all is going well and I look forward to getting caught up.

Elena said...

Your sauce looks so good I can almost smell it cooking :) Our tomatoes are turning white but not red yet. Can't wait until they are red and we can start using them. I look forward to hear about what has been going on in your neck of woods! Love, Elena

Patsy said...

Hi Sue<
that is a great sauce, thanks for posting it.
Check out my blog for new way to peel tomatoes. It worked so good for me and a big time saver when we put up our tomatoes.

Southern Lady said...

I don't blame you for walking by and admiring your handiwork ... those beautiful jars of tomato sauce are truly a work of art and love. And I'm sure they are as delicious as they look!

I've missed you and look forward to hearing (and seeing) what's been going on at the farm this summer.

Debbie said...

Oh I hope you allow pinning from here when I try. I want to save this!

This looks delicious, and I would smile at the jars too. It certainly beats my method of homemade meat sauce. (Hint: it involves getting in the car and driving to the Duchy to eat that which is made by my mother...)

Miss you when you are busy, you know!

SarahGeorge said...

Dear Sue,

It just amazes me every time I read your post. Your home grown veggies are truly great! And this meat sauce looks great as well! I liked your tip for a clean kitchen :). Looking forward to read your posts on other farm activities.

Sarah

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at you go! You know that looks so comforting to me at this time..I know silly, but it reminds of me of my grandmother.
Thanks for sharing...you busy bee. Benjamin sends his hello!!

susanbeemer said...

Wow! You have been busy...Can't wait to bring some back to Texas.... Love you

your one and only daughter,

Susan

Doniene said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy!! Made my mouth water!! You are so right - home grown and home canned is so good!

Blessings

Rebecca said...

I don't BLAME you for loving to look at that line-up of jars! You make it all look sound kind of easy, but I see quite a bit of work there :)

And love.

Lois Christensen said...

I do this!!! I can my tomatoes also. Only I just cook down the tomatoes and then can them. I don't add the meat or any seasonings. I do that later when I use the tomatoes. AND I love to walk by and look at my jars also. I haven't done that many at one time in years. Last year I canned maybe 4 or 5 jars a day as the tomatoes became ripe. Still waiting on the tomatoes! They're all still little and green. Great post! Hope you're doing well.

Kathi said...

This looks fabulous, Sue! You always amaze and inspire me. Hugs, Kathi