Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Something sweet for you~

Written by Sue, Tuesday, September 24, 2013            simply beautiful weather today, high 70's

Do you like relish? I do, and use it on hot dogs, hamburgers and in so many recipes! I also like to make my own. Why? I know what ingredients went into it, we grow the veggies for the recipe, so therefore it is chemical free, and I know the hands, and appliances that prepared it were scrubbed clean.
1- These are the ingredients you need for sweet relish: all veggies grown in our garden.
1 qt. of chopped cucumbers
2 cups of chopped onions
1 cup each of sweet green and red peppers
1/4 cup salt
3 1/2 cups of sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
2 cups cider vinegar
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
2~Place chopped cucumbers, onions and peppers in a large bowl, mix well.
3~pour salt over veggies, add enough water to cover, let sit for 2 hrs.
4~ Drain the veggies, rinse well with cold water, drain again.
5~ Combine vinegar, sugar, and spices , bring to a boil, add drained veggies, simmer 10 minutes, place in hot sterilized jars,with caps, process in water bath for 10 minutes.
6~ Here we have our own sweet pickle relish.
So simple to make and so delicious, and all ingredients are readable. These make excellent gifts along with jams, jellies., and other homemade goodies.
*note* I doubled my recipe, and when you do, you don't need to double the sugar, and spices, just use your judgement.
**note**You don't need a large garden to grow these veggies just a little space in the back yard will do. These came off of a few plants that were planted late in our garden, due to all the earlier rains.

Ladies, I had some me time today, and decided I would try and make a collage, so how did I do?
Enjoy your day, tomorrow I will be putting fall decorations out, finally. ~smile~
Hugs, 
Sue

27 comments:

Vee said...

You did a wonderful job on the collage and the pickles. You're so right, there's only one way to guarantee what the ingredients are... Gotta admire the gals who still do it the old- fashioned way and I do!

Carol said...

It looks fantastic, Sue! Reminds me a lot of the chow chow my grandma Ruby made. Wish I was your neighbor, because I just bet I could sneak a jar of relish from your pantry. LOL

Smiles,
Carol

ellen b. said...

Your collage is great and your relish is a work of art! Looks yummy!

Debbie said...

The relish looks and sounds yummy. The collage is REALLY good. A nice busy productive day for you! HUGS

Patsy said...

Wonderful color and the whole blog is great.

happyone said...

You did very well!!
I've never made relish. Maybe if I made my own I'd eat more of it. : )

Paula said...

Oh, Sue~ you have me starving now! *haha* Your relish looks so good... and I love it on EVERYTHING. I've even been known to crack open a jar and eat it with a spoon and a pan of cornbread. :)

Cheryl said...

That looks soooooo yummy! We make pepper relish most years...to put on hot dogs, hamburgers, turnip greens...and I even plop a little in my tuna salad!

You did a fine job on your collage! :D

Farm Girl said...

I love that stuff so much. You know my favorite way to eat it is on pita bread crackers. I know it sounds odd but I like it that way.
You are right about the size you the garden. Some of my best gardens were in my tiny little spaces. I once made 200 quarts of spaghetti sauce out of a 10 by 10 plot of ground.
I love this recipe. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

The collage looks great and so does your relish!

You are some woman!

Deanna

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Gosh that looks delicious!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, my, that relish is beautiful and I don't even care for relish.

You always inspire me with all your domestic talent.

Always fun to stop by and see what you have been up to.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

How did you do? Oh my...always great. I so remember my grandmother making this every year. She also made something she called chow chow!
This looks great! I can almost taste it!

Anonymous said...

I need to stand right in your kitchen beside you and watch every move and item -- you are SO skilled - if I had the choice I'd buy my veggies from you..
they look so health.. Yummy on grilled chicken too - wink!
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I need to stand right in your kitchen beside you and watch every move and item -- you are SO skilled - if I had the choice I'd buy my veggies from you..
they look so health.. Yummy on grilled chicken too - wink!
Hugs

Elena said...

Your relish looks so yummy. We have homemade relish too but my sister makes it from her garden. She does a zuccini one and it is so good. We use it on everything :)

Debbie said...

The collage is terrific and the recipe even better. It beats my recipe hand's down. (Get in car. Go to store. Buy relish. Hope it's decent.)

I also loved that church post below. I told you so there, but thought you might not see it because I'm so stinking slow in my blog hops these days.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, your relish looks so good! I would love to make a batch. I like your idea to use for gifts too!

Christine said...

Collage turned out great but what made it so beautiful is all those colors!
Look at that relish! Looking fresh and yummy.
Love my visits to the Farm.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
It has been ages since I have been
by and it was so good to find your
blog again.......
You did a great job on that collage,
loved it, and that relish sounds and looks awesome.
Also loved your post for Sunday, it is so true that God is in control and what a comfort that is...all the time, but especially during hard times.....
Looks like you and your hubby are doing well........hope he is feeling much better from that vertigo. Will say a prayer for him.
So good to have been here, have really missed you ..........
Blessings, Nellie

Lois Christensen said...

I'm sure I would love your homemade relish! I didn't get to do any canning this summer, but next year will be better for me! Enjoyed your photos of the church you visited so often as a young girl. I love VBS and our commencement night when I was younger as well. Great memories. Hope you and hubby are doing well.

Jenni said...

Sue, precious Friend,I have been missing visiting you on the farm... I really am enjoying getting caught up and looking at all your pix... the collage looks great (and so does the relish!)

Hugs,
Jenni

Rebecca said...

I do collages so infrequently that I have to re-learn every time! Yours turned out nicely and was great for illustrating the process...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sending you huge hugs. I loved the cloud story above. Fred is here with me, I had a bad fall, and he loved it, too. I had a bad fall that could have been so much worse, but God's healing is being manifested as we speak. He is SO good, and I am convinced so e poor angel is walking around wounded from me falling on top of him.

Love you,

Sheila whose broken hand has been blogging today with the doctor's permission! :-)

Unknown said...

Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com