Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Monday Meandering~

Written by Sue, Monday, February 3, 2014...........  rain, temps. mild in morning, turning cold at lunch.

February so far has brought some pleasant surprises, number one being... A visit from grandson, Will. Though the visit was short it was precious, he left with a promise to be back soon!~smile~


Sunday dinner was baked herbed chicken, (great recipe). even better the next day, that is if there is any left over.~grin~,green salad other wise known as tossed salad, green beans almondine, who would have ever though almonds and onions sauteed together, and added to green beans would be a match, creamed corn, homemade biscuits and chocolate meringue pie.

Will's  says, "Wow! Maw Maw, this chicken is so delicious, maybe you could show Jenn." Hmmm...number one rule, for husbands, or husbands to be, don't over bragg on your mother's, or grandmother's cooking to your wife, or soon to be wife, don't offer cooking lessons for them, let them ask. Last but not least never ever let them hear you say, "This is the best chocolate pie I have ever eaten," as was said yesterday. If she is there wait until you get grandma by herself and then whisper, "this is the best Pie ever."....Ahh,!! a favorite tune, and music to the ears of a mother, wife and grandmother. My reply to Will was, "How about a great homecooking cookbook for her bridal shower, and me waiting until she braggs on my cooking and then me offer to give her my recipe." He smiled and read me loud and clear.~big smile~


~Maw Maw Sue's Chocolate pie~
1 baked 9 inch pie shell

Ingredients~
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons cocoa
dash of salt about 1/4 tsp.
3 Tablespoons cornstarch,
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk

3 egg yolks, beaten,
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Meringue
3 egg whites 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tablespoon fine sugar 

In a suace pan combine sugar,cocoa,salt,cornstarch, slowing add half and half, and milk, cook and stir over medium heat until it thickens and begins to bubble, continue to cook for about 2 mins. remove and gradually add a little hot mixture to egg yolks, be careful not to fast, when it is mixed well and it is really warm, place in pot with other pie filling, gently bring to a boil, cook for 1 min.,add vanilla, pour in pie shell.

Meringue 
Beat egg whites , cream of tartar together until soft peaks, gradually add sugar continue to beat until stiff and glossy, pour on pie filling sealing the edges bake, 350 degrees for about 15 mins, or until light golden brown.
Enjoy your day and pie,
Sue

*Note~ He left with two pieces of pie, one for him the other for Jenn.... smart husband to be ~Grinning~

18 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a handsome grandson you have. You are very wise in how you handled the recipe thing.

Thank you for sharing the recipe with all of us! I love chocolate pie!

Deanna

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! So happy you had this wonderful visit with Will. Your meal looks/sounds delicious. Your chocolate pie reminds me of one mother used to bake. Thanks for the sweet memory this a.m. Have a nice day.

ellen b. said...

Good advice for any young man contemplating marriage. So sweet that he voiced his appreciation!!

Debbie said...

Good morning! How handsome Will is, and how nice it must have been to get some time with him. Goodness I have told my sons that a few times it seems (guess they forget in their enthusiasm sometimes) NEVER tell their wives, get mom's recipe for this, or ask her how she makes something in front of them...sigh. Just not smart, lol. Though they have all been married long enough now the girls just laugh when it happens. Truthfully too, they are both such good cooks it is easy for them to be more confident. Your looks and sounds delicious! Enjoy your day Sue!

Debbie said...

I meant to say your PIE looks good! lol

Vee said...

Good advice! That meal looks amazing! He is a handsome grand, Sue.

Thank you for your email...just as soon as outlook is operating for me, I'll respond.

Angela said...

He is handsome! And you gave him some good advice;)

NanaNor's said...

Sue, What a wise mom and grandma you are! Hopefully Will will heed this advice and his future wife will ask for the recipes. I wonder what herbs you put on your chicken. Thanks for always sharing and encouraging us here.
Stay warm my friend!
Noreen

Anonymous said...

Will is a cutie - wink - and your sweetheart is the handsome one! What herbs did you use on the chicken and how long did you roast it for..if you can share I love to know...Thanks

Hugs

Farm Girl said...

I have drilled that into my son's heads. To never, never say how come you can't make it like my Mom.
That is so wise of you to tell him. Your food looks so yummy. Are they going to get married at your house?
He is a very nice looking boy.

Christine said...

Very WISE words.
Very smart grandson!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

What a wise woman you are, Sue! Your grandson is a handsome guy and smart, too! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I love chocolate pie but haven't made one in ages. I'll try this. Have a nice week!

Debbie said...

This post has made me smile. Really. You should see my goofy face that I'm wearing right now. I loved the story and the recipe and the pie. I really loved your idea about giving her a cookbook of home recipes for a shower gift. You really and truly should do that.

Kathi said...

You have a handsome grandson. I'm so glad you got to see him. You gave him good advice from a wise future mother-in-law. Your pie looks luscious on that pretty Desert Rose pate. Kathi

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

What joy to have your grandson. You are a wise woman!! He is also a precious grandson.
Oh being the mother-in-law is sooooooooooo touchy...I have two DIL's.
Benjamin would love this pie...I think I will make it with him and we will call it the Sue Pie! He loves to hear about you. Hugs!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hey, Sue!

Oh, boy, that pie looks GOOD.

AD that was good advice you served, too. :-)

I have been under the weather and am finally up and around again.

Wanted to drop by and give you a hug. Great to see you!

xoxoxox

Sheila

Elena said...

You are such a sweet lady and very wise too! Your food looks so yummy. I'm sure your future granddaughter-in-law will be blessed to have you and will gain many wonderful recipes and insights from you :)

Trish said...

You are so wise and gracious, dear Sue! A true motherly heart and soul :-) God bless you and your precious family. love..Trish xxx