Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~It has officially opened~

Written by Sue, Saturday, May 3, 2014        Beautiful sunny day, temps. 70's.Good day to a hang laundry outside.

Thursday officially started my food preservation season for 2014,  spinach and kale were the first to be gathered this year! It doesn't take a lot of space to plant a garden, ours is a little large, simply because we share with family and friends!
Without being to over zealous one day soon I hope to share the importance and joy of home gardening, and preserving food. I bet you can hardly wait.~smile~
It is hard to imagine that only a few weeks ago these were tiny seeds being planted into fertile soil, and with a little time, and nurturing,they are now ready to serve us. That's the way it is with our life as Christians we are planted in fertile soil, God nurtures us and after a while we are ready to be used of Him for His service.
II Corinthians 9:10~ Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.

~Preparing Spinach for the freezer~
Once gathered, it is washed and rinsed in several waters,if needed the wooded stems are trimmed, 
 I then spin the leaves in a salad spinner until almost dried....
Then placed in air tight Food Saver bags,...  If I were using regular plastic bags I would blanch the leaves for a few minutes, cool in ice water then bag, I opted to try it this way to preserve the nutrients. I hope it works as I have had success with other vegetables.  A Food Saver is a great investment!
 "Voila", ready for the freezer.

Yesterday, as Dh and I were working in the garden I said, "I could stay out here all day,"...and I did ~smile~  the weather was so comfortable, overcast skies with an occasional peeking of the sun, pulling weeds was actually not bad at all.

I love gardening and being near God's creations, where all of my senses are touched in some way, I get to play in fresh air, kissed by the sun with the scent of honeysuckle flowing from the nearby woodlands, Our produce is organic, so tasting is always a must, rinsed first at the nearby faucet.~smile~ Watching butterflies flutter around the flowers, ladybugs feasting on aphids, toads, and the chameleons, along with the call of the Mourning Dove to its mate, birds singing.

In the far distance I hear the nearby train whistle,(one of my favorite sounds) as it nears Beard Station. I have often wondered why I love this sound so much, occasionally, when I can't sleep  at night, and the  house is quiet I hear the train whistle again, it always makes me smile.  Years ago towns were built near train tracks and near rivers, it was for necessities and made for easy travel!

Life is simple here at Pear Tree Lane, but not without problems, but God is my strength and my refuge!

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, and ever present help in trouble.



Enjoy your day!
Sue

18 comments:

Farm Girl said...

Just a bit of loveliness today. I think that is what makes life special and why in the perfect world God made a garden.
There is something so wonderful being out there. Your descriptions is so nice Sue. Your spinach is lovely too.
Very encouraging to me today. I hope you get to be outside lots more.

Happy@Home said...

Beautiful post, Sue.
You could post about your garden and food preservation every day and I'd never get tired of reading about it and seeing your lovely photos.
My garden is tiny, but I find it so satisfying to pick some lettuce and a few herbs every morning. Fresh salads on the dinner table make me smile :).
I planted four kale plants. They seem to be growing slowly and my dog likes to help herself every time I let her out.
I think it's so true that one's nearer to God in a garden than anyplace else on earth.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love this post! I would love to spend the day in the garden as well - or even live somewhere I could have a nice garden. I haven't figured our Arizona gardening...everything starts off well and then is dead with the heat by June - even with gallons and gallons of precious, expensive water every day. I am taking a gardening hiatus this year and maybe until we move somewhere it isn't so hot. I love you connection and metaphor about reaping and sowing and God's love. I would sure like one of those food preservers.

Vee said...

Oh that makes me wonder if I should plant spinach and kale in my raised bed this year. I was just going to plant a few herbs and call it good. I think I'm supposed to give it a rest from planting tomatoes. Anyway, I'll ponder. We are weird. Having had mostly canned veggies all our lives, that is what we prefer. I know. You're making the sign of the cross right now. Ha!

Glad that you were able to get outside and enjoy the day. I'm going outside and pretend that I love to rake and such. I don't. In fact, I truly hate it, but I can try to think more positively.

podso said...

Nothing is ready in our garden yet. Thanks for showing how you do your spinach. Love fresh spinach. The weather has been "pretty" here too. Something to take note of and be thankful as you have!

happyone said...

I'm going to plant some spinach too.
My herbs are coming along nicely in the house now. Ken is going to build some raised garden beds this week.

I can't wait until our temperatures get in the 70's.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, what a refreshing post! I just love hearing about your gardening and it almost makes me feel guilty that I do not enjoy it. Well, don't know if I enjoy it or not, as I've never had a garden. But, Hubby sure enjoys growing his tomatoes. Glad to have your back!!! You are a breath of fresh air!

Patsy said...

It has been nice here and we got the yard raked from the flooding, the grass is getting green.
Great to know you love gardening so much and that you are a child of our Lord. I enjoy your blog very much.

Kathleen said...

Lovely post, Sue. I have to get my Foodsaver out again. I see you have the new stand up model. Mine is 10 yrs. old.
I have read so much about kale I bought some this week. I chopped it small and put it in my salad. Ummm, we didn't like it! :(. How do you prepare yours?

Cheryl said...

As some of your other commenters have confessed, I am not much of a gardener. Ron enjoys gardening to a point, and I am happy to cook the offerings he brings to our table! But I am inspired by your love for gardening and your love for God's creation. I am always amazed at all your hard work and your cheerful spirit!

ellen b. said...

Quite the bounty you have to enjoy!

Debbie said...

How I love to stop by and read your thoughts Sue for they always lift me up, inspire me, and give me that "warm feeling" you know. Honestly it is like reading a good book I just want to read and see more. As I have admitted gardening and working outside is just not something I have ever done much of, nor do I enjoy it. But when I read your posts I feel like I might have really missed something. You make me want to find my gloves and a hat and plant something in the ground, haha. I do know I soo enjoy the fruits of laborers like you soo much. I love to go to Farmers Market and feast on all the goodies. Hope your week-end is a good one!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I'm definitely doing spinach! I love it.

Your post is beautiful, thank you for sharing the peace you have along with the hard work.

Deanna

Maryann said...

I may have to consider a food saver. I love gardening of any type, so will be interested in reading about any tips you might have. We have also joined a CSA this year so I am expecting I'll need lots of ideas on what to do with all the bounty I am expecting

Debbie said...

Count me as another one who likes to hear about your gardening and especially when you put up the produce from your garden.

We got a food saver about a year or so ago, and I agree so much about it being well worth the money.

I didn't grow a garden this year for a few reasons. I am going to miss the spinach!

Melissa G said...

That spinach looks amazing!
Once we get our own place here in AK I'm looking forward to gardening.

Elena said...

Dear Sue, I just love seeing you preserve your wonderful produce! I love train whistles too. A train runs about a 1/2 mile away from our house. Your garden is so beautiful. We planted a garden this year. Being a little more north here, things start growing later. I feel close to God out in our garden and a wonderful place to teach Mary about our wonderful Lord! Have a blessed Mother's Day dear friend.

Angela said...

I love your gardening/preserving posts! I am sad we are not having a garden this year (even though we are terrible at it:) because my husband wants to let the ground rest. He's hoping the weeds will die but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. I think I will just have to frequent the farmer's market this year.