Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Apple delights Hodgepodge

Written by Sue, Tuesday, September 26, 2017           Sunny, hot, humid! Oh where! oh where! is Autumn?
From this Side of the Pond



1. What pets did you have growing up? Tell us a little something about them.
We had parakeets, dogs, and cats. When we lived with my grandparents my favorites were the barn kitties we had, my sisters and I would dress them in doll clothes and pretend they were our babies!
For now, this little fella,(Jack) is our love..

2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?
    I must make and can applesauce!


3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing?
I was right where I am today, on the farm,  and probably doing exactly what I am doing today, canning apples! ~smile~the apples above yielded 16 pts. of applesauce, and 6 pts. of apple juice!


I like my applesauce a little chunky. Three ingredients, apples a little water, and lots of love!!


4.September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi,... which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?
Since I am knee deep in apples today, I would prefer apple dumplings, hmmm great idea for dessert tonight!This is the best I could do!

5. There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't."William Trogdon
So which are you?
I am the one who would be looking for that great adventure, my reason would be if I go to all that trouble to make preparations you better believe I am going to make it the best one yet!

found on internet!

6.Insert your own random thought here.

My first instinct was to weigh in on some of the issues we are facing as a nation, as most of us will agree we are living in perilous times, but since I try and keep my blog, happy and non controversial, (this doesn't mean I don't have strong convictions, especially when it comes to respecting our national flag and anthem.) For now it will be another time, another day!

One thing for sure, nothing gets by the eyes and ears of an all knowing and caring heavenly Father, He is the Alpa and Omega! That settles it for me.

I will instead encourage all who view this post to consider the benefits of growing and preserving your own food. There is nothing as rewarding as looking back over a day's work of gathering, preparing, and preserving food for your family and friends, (jams and jellies make wonderful gifts.)

If you are not able to have a garden, you might consider supporting local farmers or merchants!

Why do I preserve food?
1. It's much more economical!
2. It's healthier! Where can you buy food that was gathered, prepared, and canned in the same day, sometimes in a matter of a few hours?
3. You know what chemicals were used in the growing of the foods.
4. It is one way of showing your family and friends how much you care for their well being!
5. Last but not least, it is so much fun!

steps to making fresh strawberry jam.

I would like to thank Joyce for hosting Wednesday Hodgepodge, and once again she has challenged me to put on my rusty old thinking cap!~wink~

Blessings,
From my home to yours,
Sue






8 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Our first dog as a married couple was named Jack. He was almost as cute as yours. Have a great week.

ellen b. said...

Good morning but it's most probably good afternoon where you are! Loved reading your hodgepodge. Our daughter in law is our great example of growing and preserving and canning what she grows and those around her grow. So proud of her. Your bounty looks so great! Hats off to you.
More and more these days I see the need to keep my nose in God's word, TRUTH, so I know how to respond to the craziness around us. Right now I'm listening to a great series by John MacArthur on Spiritual Stability. "Stand Firm in the Lord", yes and amen.

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

I must find some apples, your's just look delicious!! My sweet neighbor who lived across the street passed away last February, he was our apple guy... :0( So, I will have to purchase mine this year, and I can hardly wait! I love apple everything.

I agree with you, Heavenly Father does oversee all that is happening right now. He loves us, knows us, and cares for us . . . all of us. These perilous times are in His hands for sure. We just need to have faith. I also agree that we need to be more prepared, plant a garden and grow your own produce if possible. Stock up on staples and be prepared to make do for at least 72 hours. You never know what can happen in a very short period of time.

Your little, Jack is adorable!

Hugs,
Barb

Cheryl said...

Sue, as long as I've known you here in Blogland, you have been a hard-working girl! Today is no exception! Just look at all of those jars of applesauce and juice and you still managed to make that yummy dessert!

Yes, He IS the alpha and omega!!



(P.S. Jack is adorable!)

happyone said...

Oh that applesauce looks so good. Homemade applesauce always reminds me of my gramma, hers was delicious.
Love that picture of the dog!!

Vee said...

🍃🍂🍃Rusty thinking cap? I think not. Golly Jack is cute! Is this the first time he's been on the blog? I am baking an apple custard pie, but putting up anything is so not my thing. Glad that you do, though, and you do give a convincing argument. And you're an adventure lover, too? I did not realize this. ☺️

Nonnie said...

Beautiful pics. I think next year I'm going to make a little square foot garden and give it a try. That dog is so cute.

UplayOnline said...

He was almost as cute as yours. Have a great week.


หีฟิต