Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Hello Everyone,
First things first, I owe all of you, my friends an apology for not letting you know I was taking a break. Actually it was not an intended break,  we have been so busy here on the farm, and at church. Every day I would take pictures and make all of these plans to put a post on my blog, but when evening came I was just to tired to blog.


We, dh and I, have also been busy helping our church move into its new home. We have been busy painting and cleaning and enjoying wonderful fellowship with fellow believers, as well as keeping home fires burning. We finally finished and had our first service in the church Sunday. What a wonderful day!! I am so thankful for God's faithfulness!!!.


My boss has given me the day off to blog, and work on my site. ha! ha! 








For my first post since this break, I want to post about  something I make that I really enjoy..... It is my HOMEMADE DETERGENT.... 

So easy, I promise.


You will need 1 box Borax,
 1- 4 lb. box washing soda,
 1 - large box baking soda,
 3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap bars, or other soap bars such as Zote or Ivory.
( optional) scented oils, I haven't used scented oils as I like the fresh scent this provides.



Mix dry ingredients together, grate the soap bars, I used a hand held cheese grater, but you can use a food processor. I have a tendency to make things a little harder. lol


Looks like cheese doesn't it, no way does cheese  smell this nice. lol

This is what it looks like when you have finished. (Oh! smells so fresh.)

All finished and in the jars, this recipe makes a big batch, and lasts a long time. I use 2 to 3 tablespoons per load. If you have a top loading machine mix 2 to 3  tablespoon with a cup of hot water.
have  been using this detergent for about a year, it is very economical and safe for both whites and colored clothes, did I mention it smells so fresh? And it really cleans our clothes, and you know farmers can get pretty dirty. lol


Many bloggers use this homemade detergent, but I first found mine at this wonderful site. http://ladyfarmerparables.blogspot.com/. Please stop by and visit her blogs, she offers so many wonderful tips.
Have you ever made your own detergent? If you have and think it is a better recipe please feel free to share. I am always looking for new recipes that are economical, and helpful.
Hope you enjoy this recipe.
Blessings, Sue

7 comments:

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad you posted Sue, I have missed you, I have wanted to make my own laundry detergent too. I used to make my own soap for bathing, but the lye still scares me to death. It is so very nice that you have been doing nice things like moving your church to a new building and having lovely fellowship. That is so nice. I will get the stuff to make a batch of laundry soap so thanks for posting the recipe. Blogs are a lot of work, aren't they? I just wanted to know glad you are back and I look forward to what else you have been doing.

Hugs***
Love,
Kim

♥ Kathy said...

I think that's so neat that you make your own detergent! Missing blogging is only acceptable when you have a busy life so you are forgiven :) Glad to see you back ♥

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

We use the same recipe!! I usually put 4 bars of Phels Naptha in mine, it works betting with the water here - very, very hard and I have a water softener! I also love the fresh clean smell of this soap, and it cleans super good! I use my food processor to grate the soap. I chop the soap up in small pieces and add about 1/2 cup of the dry mixture with it - it's faster than grating for me.

Have a great day!

Blessings,
Barb

Sunny said...

I have been wondering where you have been:) Glad to see you back posting, although it sounds like you have been having a great time. I was just about to order these soap-making products from Lehmans because I have not been able to find them locally. Can you tell us where you get these items? Thanks. Have a blessed weekend!

Anonymous said...

New to your blog -- thanks for the tip I've never ever have ever made my own laundry detergent.. Glad I stopped by --I'll be back..

Farm Girl said...

Hi Sue, I love it when you come for a visit, you encourage me so much! I agree so much about what you said about it being Jesus in us that makes us beautiful. I am so thankful for you to remind me of that. I love that you understand all of about gardening and planting seeds, it always helps to have a kindred spirit.
I will keep writing my blog, just because God has taught me so much through it. I hope you just keep reading it. :)
Have a lovely Sunday
Love,
Kim

Angela said...

I too a blogging..well I called it a birthday vacation for about a week. I worked outdoors for most of it and SO enjoyed the break and getting a b it accomplished. Lots more to do, but I'm loving it.

I really like this recipe. I have never done this before but you make it look like it could be easy for me to do,,lol..I NEED easy stuff...