Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Happy Spring~
Written by Sue,  Monday, March 21, 2011
Even tho the calendar says spring , I know a lot of folks are having cold temps. and snow, I feel a little guilty about posting this when so many of you are still getting such cold weather... There is a danger here in the south, when we have an early spring.... more times than I like to remember, our buds have come out on our fruit trees like you see here, and then a frost, freeze warning is predicted by the weatherman, like we have for this week. And when that happens we wrap them with old sheets,  hope and pray.
We decided to try our hand at growing asparagus this year...Here Mr P. is putting the sets in the trench. You have to spread them out like a spider, with the crown just sticking above the ground. These are two year sets and we were told they will produce this year. Fingers crossed !!!
All laid in a row,..

This is a bed of onions, four different kinds,.... I feel a need to set the record straight,lol.... When I post of photos dh is the one who is always working,...... But I do help him, Yes! really I do. It just that he tells me  he doesn't like to take photos. The truth is he likes his picture taken, and I don't .LOL The garlic is growing nicely too! (painting the fence is on our to do list.) I am thinking about trying a Tom Sawyer trick here, Do you think I can pull it off?
We got our potatoes planted a couple of weeks ago,  they have sprouted and are coming up.
Our lettuce will be ready in a week or so. There is nothing any better than growing your own lettuce, so easy. If you have a pot, soil, sunshine, water, and seed, You can grow all kinds.
I have to tell you about these little guys. They are Violas, or jumping jack. Why the nickname?....They just jump all over your garden and yard. I have them growing every where, and I don't mind, as they let me know that spring is here. They will last through June, and you can eat the blossoms. Yes you can!

Happy gardening everyone, and to my friends whose weather has not changed, just hold on dream some more, I promise it will warm up soon.
Thank you to all of you who come by and take the time to visit, and leave me such sweet notes.
Sue
Ecclesiastes 3:1~ To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! The lettuce especially looks wonderful. Nothing better than a big salad for lunch.

I have always loved violas. The other day, we stepped out of the car and saw one growing in a crack in the driveway!

When I grew some long ago, I would freeze the blossoms in ice cube trays. They made a delightful addition to lemonade!

Vee said...

It's wonderful to see all the planting going on. I think I will try growing lettuces in a pot this year at the price of things. I'll have a pot of lettuces and a pot of herbs and I'll be good to go. Everything else can be purchased at the Farmer's Market for less than it would take me to plant it and I have no lovely acreage as you do. The fence? Yes, I think some darling grands would love to paint the fence for a good cause. Are they the ones you're thinking of playing the trick upon?

Happy@Home said...

It seems to me that you & Mr. P have worked out a good system for planting and picture taking :). I had never seen asparagus being planted and found it interesting. I hope it grows well for you.
I planted some spinach seeds a few weeks ago, but there is no sign of any sprouts. I should get some lettuce planted before it's too late. Thanks for the reminder.
Happy Spring to you, Sue.

Debbie said...

Good Morning! I love to see and hear about all of your planting going on. How interesting it was to hear how the asparagus is done. I'd love to do all that planting. Don't do much at all over here, though I do hit Farmers Market and stock up. I "thought" we'd warmed up for good over here when this last storm hit. It was in the low 40's last night which was really cool for March in California...haha....Have a GOOD day Sue and enjoy that sunshine, time for planting, and that hubby of yours! One of my favorite verses btw! HUGS

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Sue,
Oh, there is nothing like fresh grown produce. Your lettuce looks so delicious.
You and hubby have been very busy with planting. Now you can start to enjoy some of your harvest.
Loved your last post!
I accepted that invitation as a nine year old girl. Never regretted it!
Enjoy your first week of Spring!

Farm Girl said...

I really like looking at your beds. I planted Asparagus about 3 years ago. I should be getting crowns this year but I haven't seen anything yet. I like seeing that you use pine needles for your mulch. I am going to use that this year too.
We are having a week of rain this week. Which is okay. I can get the rest of my spring cleaning finished.
Then I can be outside.
I laughed about you just showing pictures of your husband working. It is true, some one has to hold the camera, right?
I love it all and I enjoy looking at it.
I hope you don't get frost.
We had 60 mile an hour gusts yesterday of wind but my trees look okay today.
The apricot needed the winds to open the blossoms.
I hope you have a great week.

happyone said...

The lettuce is so nice and green. Looks delicious.
The Violas look a lot like Pansies. So pretty.

BECKY said...

Just delightful, Sue!! It always makes me smile when I think of your home grown goodies, and the loving hands that prepare them and can and freeze them!!

Just gives me the warm fuzzies!!
Have a wonderful week, sweet friend!!
Love ya!
Becky

Jenni said...

Sue, I LOVE your "retro" music!! It is so Springy... I've always loved to listen to such as that, though I am 37 years old.... to me, it's happy music. Those old timers had much to worry about with WW2, and hard times, but so many of their "tunes" were uplifting... gonna have to visit you several times so I can listen to it all...and I have always loved "It's a Wonderful World"!

I enjoyed your account of what y'all are planting and doing 'round the farm. The photos are great, too...
Have wonderful and happy day!
Texas hugs,
Jenni

Jenni said...

Ooh! and I see you have Pat Boone, and Floyd Cramer and some other "later" singers on your play list...
I'm really enjoying this...
Jenni

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I thought of you when I was putting in my very small garden...it would make you laugh, but I will probably post a picture for that exact reason!

This looks wonderful and I love your fence...I had one 15 years ago and my boys had to do the painting! LOL

Happy Spring...love the pansies peeping through, Benjamin took tons of pictures of some just like that..he said, "they are so beautiful"

Have a blessed day!

Farming On Faith said...

Oh it all looks like Spring~ I loved seeing what you have started.
It was 79 degrees here to day so I cleaned flower beds and mulched. Boy~does my back ever hurt.
I so enjoyed my visit tonight. I have my feet up with a Diet Coke while I am visiting. I am going to catch up on all your post!

Have a wonderful evening~ I hear all the frogs croaking ~music to me ears.

Talk with you soon~
Carrie

Elena said...

Your garden is beautiful. I love the little violas too! I am like you, I end up taking most of the photos:) We are enjoying a nice spring here too!

NanaNor's said...

Dear Sue, For some weird reason you haven't been showing up on my blog reader and I've been missing you! How are you dear friend? Looks like spring is in bloom in your area-we are experiencing spring weather but I haven't planted yet because we could still get snow for the next month and a half. Loved seeing all the veges etc you are planting.
Hugs to you today.
Noreen

Debbie said...

I hear you about the cold snap right when the buds are bursting. It has happened here too many times to count, too.

I want some of those violas! How festive would that be on a luncheon plate?

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I have always heard the Violas called "Johnny Jump-ups" around here. I always feel bad when I have to mow over them and also springtime violets.

Hope you are doing ok!

Susan said...

Hi Sue, Thanks for stopping by. Your blog is beautiful, I love you house and your lane. What a wonderful place you have there.
Great pictures of you bathroom too!
You are a great decorator!
I need to get my blog overhauled one of these days. Happy Spring, our snow is still melting but just about gone now :o)

~Sue~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.