Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Keeping the sweetness~

Written by Sue, Wednesday, Nov.2 , 2011                             Sunny beautiful temps.60's
I have always thought and tried to be a thankful person, I was taught this early in my childhood, by Godly parents. I joined "Giving Thanks Challenge" for several reasons, one being, I knew it would cause me to pause, and  have more of an awareness of just how many blessings I am given each day. And I am only into day two and this is happening. If I named every thankful gift I was given today it would fill this page over and over......

My day two of "Giving Thanks Challenge" is simply this...

"Tuesday date night"...


Tuesday is a special day in our household, it is the one day of the week set aside for "Us". Why Tuesday? you might ask, I don't know why, it just fell into our schedule. Sometimes we take the whole day off, but most Tuesday evenings we go out to a favorite inexpensive restaurant way out in the country. We live in the country, but this place is Way in the country. Sometimes we just stay home with dinner  and a movie. We started this many years ago, early in our marriage, and it doesn't cost much. When the children were small, and funds were short, we would take some time after they had gone to bed,
Photo Elenna Madson

 to sit, talk, with coffee and a snack, and one of my favorite things to do is to put some oldies music on, music that we grew up with and dance, yes, we like to slow dance, even now after all these years.

If  I have any advice for young as well as older married couples, it is to keep the "sweetness" in your marriage, by...
taking time for each other. If only for a few minutes.  No matter how long you have been married, marriage is something you work on each day. There may be  days when you don't feel like it, but you still have to persevere. The rewards are worth it.

So yesterday on a beautiful autumn Tuesday,  Mr P. decides we will leave early and do some site seeing, taking the long way around.

When I was a child, one of my fondest memories was, seeing my father, while driving, reach out and take my mother's hand, and seeing them glance at each other and smile. He would drive for miles holding her hand, not  a word spoken just a loving gesture. I now know how special my mother felt, as Mr P. does the same with me. There is just something about a loving touch.
photo John Slobinik
I was not disappointed, the trees were ablaze in all their glory, ( I forgot my camera), I saw silos set against the setting sun, farmers gathering their fall crops, and house after house decorated for autumn with pumpkins. Red, orange and burgundy wreaths on the doors beckoning all to stop  come in and enjoy some  southern hospitality. Now one might say, "Sue you live on a farm why would driving in the country thrill you so?"..... Simply this,.... "I was with the one I love and adore"
Giving thanks for you today,
Sue 


Psalm 95:2~ Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving;Let us shout joyfully to Him with Psalms.

19 comments:

Vee said...

Oh I love this! And I will take it to heart, too.

Now, Sue, imagine a portly gal doing a little dance in her computer chair as she realizes that she will be reading what you have to say, dare I say it, every day in the month of November! I love that, too!

Debbie said...

Good morning! I intended to start this too yesterday, and I forgot...I will NOT let them stop me from joining in....I love your list already. You said such wise things about marriage, and you are just soo right. Sat. afternoons are our date time over here...and how I love it. Your hand holding memory made me smile. I still feel my heart flutter when my hubby takes mine. : ) Have a wonderful day Sue, and enjoy that Fall scenery! HUGS

Debbie said...

MEANT to say I will NOT let THAT stop me, haha (there is no them)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Back country roads are the best for afternoon drives- I live in the country too, but I can't get far enough out in the country! :-)

Farm Girl said...

So sweet, that is what I love about you is your love for your husband. It speaks such volumes to me.
I am glad that Tuesday's are your day set aside for each other.
It is so important no matter how long you have been married.
Have a lovely day,
We are in the middle of a huge dust storm.
Cold weather is coming.

rkbsnana said...

Oh, my how I love your blog...the pictures, content, writing style. Count me as a new friend please

Happy@Home said...

Hi Sue,
I so enjoyed your post today. I have always admired couples who set a date once a week. Such a great idea. I think the date you and Mr. P went on sounds perfectly lovely.
I've been getting caught up on your previous posts and am sorry to hear that you had been under the weather. Hope you are feeling all better once again.

Lois Christensen said...

That's a beautiful post! I loved seeing my parents hold hands also in the car. AND my parents would often go for a ride by themselves. Now we lived in Queens, NY, so they usually just would get in the car and ride around the neighborhood or go up to Forest Park and ride around there for a little bit. But they hardly would take us kids. We would ask all the time and they would say, "No, you stay home with your brother." I love your idea of just taking time to sit and talk, very nice. Enjoy your day Sue!

Marti said...

You are truly blessed and have learned how to keep the love going.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, What a wonderful post filled with such sweet memories and a thankful heart. We do have much to thank the Lord for; I'm thankful for you friend!
Love, Noreen

Sunny said...

I love country also, and would pine away like "Hiedi" if I had to live or spend much time in a city or town. Blessings of the Lord have pretty much always allowed me to live in and enjoy country life. Great post, Sue!

Leah said...

Oh my gosh - this is just the sweetest post I've read in a long time! I would agree that a healthy marriage takes work. Your country drive sounds like a wonderful date with your hubby!

Unknown said...

I love this idea. There is so much to learn from couples who demonstrate deep and true love. I wish there were more role models like this in my life. May God continue to bless your Tuesday evenings.

Cheryl said...

Sue, I LOVE this post! I love that you two have date night...and that you have always made time for one another. Even seasons of life presented different circumstances and limitations, you made it work during those circumstances.

Thanks for the inspiration and warm fuzzies!

Jenni said...

What a wonderful post! I really admire you and your husband's love and commitment to each other... what a beautiful example of true love....

and I always enjoy the illustrations you put on here, as well as the photos. It makes visiting you even more fun....

Hugs,
Jenni

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great post, Sue! I have always loved to take a ride in the country with my hubby. It's something we used to do to get away for a short while and talk when our children were old enough to stay in the house by themselves for that short time. It's something we still like to do. I'm sure I enjoy it more than he does, since he's a lineman and is out in the countryside every day. But that he's willing to go with me is very special!
Enjoy the rest of your week!

Patricia said...

Sue, your love for your hubby is inspirational!
It's great that you have continued your Tuesday dates throughout the years.
I'm thankful that my beloved (of nearly 40 years)still holds my hand while driving through the countryside too :-)
Younger couples call us "the lovebirds" haha!
bless you..
Trish

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Awsome and awe-inspiring post, Sue, and this is SO true.

You were with both the men you love and adore... your DH and the Lord. Does it get any better than that??? Especially when your DH loves the Lord, too! There is nothing more appealing in this world than a man who loves the Lord.

XO,

Sheila

Debbie said...

What a wonderful post! As I was reading it, I realized that in the past six months or so, I have spent very little one on one time with my husband. He has always traveled, but this past few months has been heavier with it than usual. What time we do have together seems to be way too filled up with To Dos.

I am committing myself to remedy of that. I'm not sure how, but I am.