Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~A Godly example of aging gracefully~

Written by Sue, Thursday, Nov. 3, 2011                                                       beautiful sunny day, temps. 60's
Just what is.. "aging gracefully"? (Notice I didn't say "old" lol). I have fought the words, old, senior, for quite sometimes. I know you have heard "you are only as old as you feel." This is so true, but what God is teaching me is that aging is a fact of life, That I am to embrace it with more vim and vigor than ever, but to do it "gracefully" And He has given me a beautiful example.
~Christmas is Mother's favorite holiday, and she always comes bringing me gifts~
One of the reasons I have fought getting older were the outward signs I saw, wrinkles, my hair graying, I didn't want to look old, and then there were the new aches and pains!....  I had been focusing on the outward, God wanted me to focus on the inward.... through many talks with Him lately, he pointed me to a woman that I know so well,.... My Mother, she defines "aging  gracefully"from head to toe. Not only from her outward appearance but to her "Inward spirit". Yes, she has wrinkles, the graying hair, the outward signs are there, but beyond these outward signs, is "grace"beyond words.
~no words, just love~
~simply-love~

~We had so much fun sewing these pillow cases, four generations sewing together that day.~

~Teaching the girls how to put icing on a cake, the proper way~grin~~

On a recent visit as I was sitting in her living room, I saw a woman who has embraced getting older with enough vim and vigor for all of us. Soon she will be 84, takes no meds, works 4 days a week, has a mini bakery in her home, crochets, sews, and has one of the most creative minds ever. Her secret...She loves her God with all her heart, and her family. But one thing I noticed is she always has a "thankful spirit" example... When I call her, I will ask her how she is doing, her reply is always "I am doing well, "thank the Lord".

As God is using my mother to teach me how to "age gracefully" I realize she doesn't do it verbally, but by example. And now as I am embracing my own "aging gracefully", my desire is that one day my children will be able to  say, "I know or knew a lady who knew how to "age gracefully".

"Thank you Heavenly Father for teaching me how to "age gracefully", by a lady who loves you with all her heart and "gives thanks" to You everyday.
For today, I am so thankful for a "Godly example of aging gracefully".

Giving thanks for you too,
love,
Sue

1Peter 3:3-4~ Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel--rather, let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

Thanking Leah at South Breeze Farm for hosting Giving of Thanks Challenge, and for all of you dear friends who come by for a visit.

29 comments:

Patsy said...

Just beautiful!
Thank you for your comment,I fear most people have their head in the sand about what is happening and how they need to draw near to Christ.Did you know about my Bible Questions and Answers blog? http://patty-patcards.blogspot.com Or see it on my blog roll.

Carol said...

What a beautiful mother you have! You are blessed!

Smiles,
Carol

Debbie said...

How blessed to have such a wonderful mom and to share her with the rest of us. Good examples are what we learn by! She is beautiful, obviously inside and out, and I wish I had her energy. It must come from a happiness inside!
Debbie

Lady Farmer said...

Dear Sue ~
My internet has not let me view or comment for too long!
Your mother is one of the most beautiful examples of a glodly woman! And her sweet daughter takes after her!
Blessings friend!

Beth at Aunties said...

Sue, I have missed your gentle, sweet and grateful posts.
I always feel blessed for having visited you, as I always come a way having felt the spirit of Lord.
Your precious mom is an inspiration to all of us and yes, a perfect example of aging gracefully. Her beauty is obvious on the outside, yet one can tell when a person has the 'Light of Christ' within them and she radiates it. As you do!
I will for today, handle my new aches and pains a bit more gracefully as I accept my senior citizen status... and then tomorrow start it off again with a prayer of gratitude and do all over again!
Bless your heart for blessing ours!~♥
I am glad I found you again:)

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I really love this....because I have felt the same about your mother as you have shared her here through this last year I have followed you.

I also believe the acorn didn't fall too far from the tree by watching her daughter here also.

She is just beautiful...a true Proverbs 31 Woman and an example to us all...as is her daughter.

God knew what He was doing when He said let the "older women" teach the younger.

Wonderful thankful post!!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It is obvious that the grace and love of your dear mom had been passed down for several generations! A lovely tribute!

Vee said...

Oh, I'm going back to read the words and that beautiful face. She is an inspiration to us all! I notice that she's doing some things that we could all do...she is beautifully groomed, she wears her make-up, she smiles, she loves, she honors the Lord, she keeps on going, and she continues to enjoy her life and her family. Oh I do love this post!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, I love seeing your mom-I can only hope I age as gracefully as she has. You girl, worried, come on now? You are both an example of Prov. 31 and I wish I lived closer so I could visit with you in person. Great post!
Blessings, Noreen

Debbie said...

Oh Sue I have thought MANY times through the last couple of years as I have gotten to know you through this blog world, that you have SUCH a wonderful mother. She is not only beautiful on the outside, but has the inward beauty of a woman who knows the Lord, that obviously draws soo many to her. She seems to be soo active and hard working (like you!) and industrious and all while being in her 80's! What a wonderful example of a Christian woman she has been for you, and no doubt why you too have soo much to give, and a heart that is an example for us all.

And growing old gracefully? Oh how I long for that. My mom, bless her heart, can be such a unhappy, demanding, looking for the negative type of woman that it scares me sometimes. I DO NOT WANT to grow old the way she has. Does that sound just awful? I LOVE LOVE LOVE her, but she does not know the Lord beyond a very basic salvation knowledge, and the rest of her faith is caught up in "Religion" I don't think many can grow old gracefully without Him guiding and directing and giving them that grace and beauty. How I longed for a mom that truly knew Him, and could have guided me along that way.

This is a subject I have given much thought to recently, and I am glad you have written about it.

Have a wonderful day my friend!

HUGS, Debbie

Debbie said...

I just have to say that I'm enjoying this thanksgiving adventure. I am getting treat after treat, day after day. It's pretty wonderful.

I love this post about your mom. I feel as if I have known her for a while because you have opened the door to Pear Tree Lane Farm as she helps with your canning.

I've told you before that she reminds me of Debbie Reynolds. Clearly, the beauty on her outside is only a scratch in the surface.

You are very blessed.

BECKY said...

Hi Sue,

It is wonderful for you to have such an incredible example aging gracefully in your Mother. I know she brings you much joy, and I love that you share her with us! It is especially wonderful for those of us whose Moms have already passed on.

Hugs to you, sweetie.
Treasure each and every moment with her. I did with my Mom, and am sooo thankful! She was also an incredible woman!!
Becky

Lois Christensen said...

Takes no medication? That's something I've been dealing with almost 2 years. I've discovered I have a heart problem that I've probably had most of my life, only now just realizing what I've been feeling isn't normal. Anyway, I"m on 3 different medications for it and it makes me feel so old at times! Thanks for posting and making me realize that I need to be focusing more on my inner "age" than what's really going on sometimes! Enjoy your day!

Doniene said...

Lovely post!! A great example of "aging gracefully". What a wonderful mother and family! I so enjoyed reading your blog! I'll be back.

Blessings

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I can only hope to be half as busy and full of spirit as your mama is at her age. I am positive that you and your children keep her going! Sweet post, Sue!

Jenni said...

Goodness, Sue! Your Mom is lovely and I can tell she is a real lady... You are blessed to have her precious love and close friendship... actually all of you "Pear Tree Ladies" look like y'all enjoy such a wonderful closeness, and like y'all have the best times together.... You are blessed!

Loved today's thankful post!
Hugs,
Jenni

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by to say 'hi' on my blog.

Great blog post! Your mother is beautiful.

Ruth Cox aka abitosunshine said...

A wondrous example of aging gracefully...together! Love those pillow cases!

Patrice and Higgins said...

What a beautiful post and a beautiful mother!

Christine said...

Her Grace shows with every smile!

Farm Girl said...

This is such a wonderful post about your lovely Mom. You are so very blessed to still have her. She is such a treasure. You are just like her too.

Leah said...

Your mother is a beautiful woman, and I see a lot of resemblance between the two of you! It's obvious she delights in her family - that smile on her face just shouts it! Isn't it nice when the sweet spirit is all wrapped up in a pretty package? :)

Hugs to you, Sue!

- Leah

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Sue. You did it again. You made me cry... in a good way!

I adored reading this loving tribute to a Godly woman, your precious mother. One of the reasons I love your blog so much is that you and your family have your priorities in order. It's so obvious from every picture you take and every word you write. It's always a joy to visit you, my friend. An absolute joy, and I rejoice in the fact that you take the time to share your treasures with us, and you and your family are our treasures, too.

For that, I give thanks!

XO,

Sheila

Elena said...

This is such a lovely and true post! I know the Lord wants us to embrace aging gracefully. That is one of the reasons I chose not to die my hair when I had Mary. I get a lot of opportunity to share of God's grace and not forgetting his promises! Have a blessed day Sue!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love this post, Sue, what a wonderful tribute to your mother! She is a beautiful lady and you take after her. Her lovely spirit and zest for life shows in her beautiful countenance. What an inspiration she is!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Trish said...

Sue, your dear mum is a gorgeous and precious lady!
What a wonderful blessing she is in your life.
It's the light in her eyes that draws me in.
You have obviously inherited so much loveliness from her and now you are passing on this beautiful legacy to your own!
It's so encouraging to see older godly women who are real, and who shine with that very special beauty that comes with age.
Inside and out..you and your mum are pure gems!!
bless you..Trish

Walk In Truth said...

Hello Friend,

Thank you for sharing about your Mother. What a wonderful example she is. She is a beautiful lady inside out, and that has clearly passed down to her daughter (You :o) )

God bless you friend
Big hugs and love
Michele

Jan said...

Wow, it's pretty obvious that the apple doesn't fall far from your family tree!

There are days when I want to grow old gracefully, but there are days when I realize I will be thankful just to grow old!

God bless,
Jan

Jan said...

Wow, it's pretty obvious that the apple doesn't fall far from your family tree!

There are days when I want to grow old gracefully, but there are days when I realize I will be thankful just to grow old!

God bless,
Jan