Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

How did I go from....

Written by Sue,Monday April 23, 2011                  cloudy cool day,temps. 50's


this......


 To this..
 To this
To this

Look how it glistens in the light.....
Let's have some fun!!!

After growing the berries I pick them....  
wash and dry them, and then...
slice into large pieces, as you want to have real fruit in your jam,  measure 4 qts. of strawberries with 8 cups of sugar if berries are real sweet, if not had an extra cup of sugar, let


 then sit for about 4 hrs. or until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally,this is where I test for sweetness,  I then
 place  them on the stove and bring to a boil, keeping it stirred, once it boils I add a pat of butter, no substitute, why butter? Butter cuts the foam down significantly, where I have very little skimming  to do off of the top.

Once it starts to boil  I turn the heat down just a tad, add 1/3 cup juice from a real lemon,continue to boil until
 the berries become clear and the syrup thickens.While the jam cooks, I  already have water in a canning pot boiling on low, and my jars sterilized, as well as the
 caps and lids heating
Now that the jam is ready, I pour it in jars, wipe the rims with a clean damp cloth, (very important!!) add
 caps and lids, and place in canner, I then let them process in a boiling water bath for 10 mins.
 Viola!!! this recipe will produce 12 half pints with

 just this much left over for my food critic. Would anyone like to guess who that is? BTW it passed his inspection with flying colors. ~wink~

Jams make really nice gifts and you can dress them up with raffia, pretty cut fabric cloths as above, I like to give baskets of jams, relishes along with homemade breads,with either handmade a tea towel, or a pretty apron for gifts at  special occasions. 

I have some very sweet older ladies at my church that love getting jams, because they eat light  for breakfast, having a piece of toast or biscuit with jam with coffee or hot tea. Hand made gifts are always welcomed with open arms.

 I apologize for the long post, put wanted to share this recipe, as it is soooooo gooooood!! I pinky promise you, your family, and friends will enjoy it!

I even like to display jams on shelves  in my kitchen....
If you don't grow your own berries, there are a lot of local farms and farmers market where you   may purchase them. It is so much more economical and fun to make your own., not to mention knowing that you are the final one who handled your food. ~ smile~
Happy jamming!!
Until next time,
Hugs
Sue

Ecclesiastes 3:13 ~That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil------ this is the gift of God.~

20 comments:

Carol said...

Your post reminds me of the canning my mother & grandma Ruby did while I was growing up.
Your jam jars look so pretty in your little hutch!

Smiles,
Carol

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I know it tastes just as good as it looks! I make my jam with pectin but have made it without too. Always delicious.

Your photos and tutorial are perfect!

Debbie said...

This wasn't a long post at all. It was a great one! We don't grow our own strawberries, but I happen to live not far from two strawberry patches. I really would love to be able to make some for gifts.

And well, to eat you know...

Debbie said...

Oh I thoroughly enjoyed this post! I haven't done this for years, and this was a wonderful refresher. There is just nothing like home made jam! Yum...or home made bread...or pie...guess I won't go on, haha. Have a good day Sue! HUGS

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

What a fun post...reminds me of all the year we use to do bushels and bushels of peaches, then jams, then peach butter...oh my, my memory goes back years

I am going to check on the local farms for picking...we do go to the blueberry farm each year

What wonderful gift....and love them displayed in your kitchen...you can see the fruit of your labor

Vee said...

My hubby would be very pleased with my efforts should I ever take this jamming up. =D Thank you for the recipe and that great tip about a pat of butter.

Rebecca said...

You make it look so EASY, Sue! I can imagine the delight of the ladies who receive some of your jam....

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue,I love seeing your making the jam-there is nothing I like more. I agree that it is such a nice gift. Makes me want to get home and start canning. My girls always use organic fruit and sugar so it gets a bit expensive. There is such joy in canning your own fruits and veges.
Have a great day dear friend.
Noreen

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We always make strawberry jam! We love it!

Deanna

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

Oh boy, I wish I was at your house!! I love strawberry jam, and yours looks so delicious! I really like that you don't put pectin in it, just good ol' berries!

I love to give jam as gifts too - everyone love a little something sweet... :0)

Hugs,
Barb

Farm Girl said...

My next thing to do is to make strawberry jam. My kids eat it all of the time and since Peanut butter and jelly is a favorite snack of someone going out the door some place or at night. I have to have it on hand. I love your recipe.
I also love looking at your pictures.
Don't you just love spring?

Angela said...

That is a super-clear tutorial! I would love to get brave and try making some jam this year:)

Susan B said...

Strawberry jam is a favorite at our house. Your jam looks so delicious! I'm sure it will be enjoyed very much in the months to come. :)

Cheryl said...

Sue, I enjoyed reading this tutorial for making strawberry jam. I had always assumed that one needed to use pectin...but I trust your experience! I may try some your way this year. Our strawberries are not ready yet, but it won't be long! (Remember last week when I told you that your talk of strawberries had put me in the mood for some? Well, the next morning, I got a jar out of the pantry and it really hit the spot. ~smile~)

I can imagine you two "hitting the ground running"! I'll bet you had a productive day...and I'm glad that you had a restful day before that. We need both kinds to keep on going, don't we? And your mother...a gem! What a treat to have dinner brought to you after a busy day!

Hugs...
Cheryl

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Looks good, Sue! I love strawberries and used to have a patch. I miss it. I'm glad to get the tip on adding a pat of butter, should I ever take up jam making again. Thanks!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I can't make jam right to save my life- I'm pretty good at salsa though! :) This looks yummy!

Lorrie said...

This is a great jam recipe. I love making jam. I like that it doesn't use Certo (Sure Jell). We have a few months to wait for our strawberries to ripen, though.

Kim said...

You make it look so easy... and delicious. So far I've picked one strawberry from my 2 plants. I think I'd better head to the local strawberry farm.
So glad you shared your recipe and tips for successful jam making. I agree with you that a jar of your beautiful jam would make a most welcome gift.

Elena said...

Your jam looks so pretty and sounds so yummy! Thank you for sharing your recipe. We will be making some jam this weekend :)

Bernadine said...

Thanks for this tutorial. I've never made my own jam but love it when I get a jar as a gift. This year is the year I will try making my own. Thanks for this helpful and inspirational post.