Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Would you peek?

Written by Sue, Sunday, June24,2012                           Monday is going to be hot, humid, with afternoon thunderstorms.
If you were given a beautiful cedar chest, and when you opened it found the price tag was left tagged inside, how tempted would you be to look?

I have been receiving some wonderful gifts lately from my younger sister, and am loving each of them!  An amazing thing is these treasures, which she has owned for many years  have never been used! It seems she has decided to simplify her life, and asked if I wanted them. Why of course, I do!! The most amazing thing, is that most of these gifts have been items that I have secretly had on my lifetime wish list.

 When I was a young girl,dreaming of one day marrying, I would visit my grandmothers, and saw that my Aunt Jan,had a beautiful hope chest, and secretly wished for one of my very own. But I didn't ask because I knew my parents could not afford one,.... life went on, however I did marry my Prince..... So never give up, here after all these years is my very own hope chest. It is so pretty! I am so thankful to have such a loving,and giving  sister, who didn't know that she was fulfilling a young girls dreams.


Here is another secret wish that she unknowingly fulfilled,...
a Herschede Grandfather clock, it has the most beautiful chimes!

 While  we were there  to pick it up she said, "I have had this for over thirty years, and just didn't know how to work it, and now I am wanting to simplify." If you notice, it was placed in my foyer, way before I found the water leak. I was so happy and just had to confess to her that I had wanted one for years! These are just two gifts I have been blessed with. I will share some more later.
2 Corinthians 9: 7~So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver.
To all who commented on my post about the water leak, Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement! All equipment has been removed, and we are waiting for the adjuster to return, and then the work really begins.
BTW~ I did see the price tag, there was no way I couldn't as I am planning on using it for my sweaters and or blankets. Nothing sits idle around this farmhouse, not people nor things that work. ~grin~
Enjoy your Monday
Sue
James 1:17~Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

21 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a joy for you to receive these treasures! Don't you just love it when it's a win-win. A win for your sister who is happy to let go of things that aren't don't have special meaning to her...and a win for you who has wanted these very things!

(Of course, I would have peeked too! ~smile~)

His gifts come in many forms, don't they?

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

What treasures - I would probably peek... ;0) Your sister must be a very generous soul to give such beautiful gifts! I have always wanted a grandfather clock - they just sound so beautiful when they chime. My sweet husband gave me a beautiful mantel clock that chimes, and I love it - but there is just something about a grandfather clock that says, "listen to me"!

Enjoy your week!!

Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted both of those items -- blessed are you - indeed -- totally beautiful gifts .. never say it's to late.. right!
hugs

Happy@Home said...

How sweet of your sister to share these beautiful pieces with you. She will be able to visit them when she visits you, which will be nice for her.
I just read your post about your water leak. Oh my, how awful. I hope the repairs go smoothly.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Wonderful treasures! We recently got an old Lane Cedar chest for our daughter who just turned 13! It is her hope chest. This cedar chest was an answer to prayer as we really wanted to get her one but finances are tight right now. This friend put on our church's FB site that he was giving this away - it had been his grandmothers and no one in the family wanted it! It has some minor damage to the laminate. It is a treasure to my daughter!

I think it is wonderful that your sister is willing to pass these things along to you.

Deanna

Farm Girl said...

How wonderful that you got things that you have always wanted. I got my hope chest when I graduated from high school. I know how bad I wanted one and how bad I wanted it filled with things for my marriage. I didn't even have a boyfriend, so it was filled with dreams, now it is filled with baby clothes and dolls and things like that. I even have cards from my grandparents wedding, my Mom and Dads, then I have cards from when my Mom died. Lots of bittersweet.
Yours is so pretty.
That grandfather clock is beautiful. I am so happy for you.
I just wish I could clap my hands and all of your work was finished on your house.
Can you tell I need to email you as this is so long.
Have a lovely Monday. You always inspire me.

Vee said...

The grandfather clock looks beautiful there! As if it was made for that very spot. I have three chests and I need more! They are the perfect place to store treasures. How sweet of your sister to give these to you when she could have sold them. I think she must listen closely to God's voice. I know that you will enjoy them for years to come.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

That just thrills my heart...I wrote on my hope chest last year, and I am now going to go back and read your comment, I think I remember you mentioning you didn't have one...that is just so awesome.

Oh the clock...my mother has one that my husband has loved since she got it over 30 years ago...recently she smiled and said, "that clock will be Bill's one day"

God hears the desires of our hearts and this morning my heart was heavy and this gives me such encouragement...He hears my heart also.

So glad clean up is going well..enjoy your new treasures!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, Love the cedar chest-I have two; one was my mom's and then my hubby and daughters built three-one of each of us girls. I would have looked at the tag too.
I love the look of the clock in your foyer-so elegant.
Praising God that your floor is fixed and hopefully you'll never have another leak.
Hugs today.
Noreen

Debbie said...

I can't wait to see my mom tomorrow. She is going to mention this for sure. She has always wanted a grandfather clock too. You have a wonderful sister!

And I loved your Sunday post. I didn't see it until today because I'm still behind from my weekend.

Elena said...

How wonderful!! I would love to get Mary a cedar chest some day. I never had one and have always thought it would be so great to have one.

Lois Christensen said...

How wonderful for you! The Grandfather clock looks as if it belongs in that spot! I was very blessed to receive my grandmother's blanket chest that she had in Germany when they lived there. When my parents moved 4 years ago it did not fit in their new bedroom and my house was just 3 houses down, so the movers brought it over here and it sits beautifully at the foot of our bed. It's all hand carved and must be over 100 years old, but it was my grandmother's and that is as special to me as your pieces from your sister! Thanks for visiting today! I always love your comments! We planted a garden this spring, the first in 3 years. I need to get pictures posted. NOTHING compared to what you and your hubby do, but it's a start. AND this year I found the lettuce seeds. I was always looking for plants, silly me. They're coming up nicely! Enjoy your night.

Trish said...

Hi Sue, thanks for my birthday wishes :-)
I am so glad you have been gifted with two things on your "wish list"!
They are both very beautiful and coming from your sister they must truly mean a lot to you!
The clock is perfect in your foyer and I imagine it sounds just lovely too.
I think I'd try not to peek at that tag..but probably would, lol!
Your Sunday post really blessed me - it is full of thanksgiving and drew me right into the Father's arms today :-)
Have a wonderful (leak-free) week, my friend.
lots of love ..Trish xx

Susan B said...

What wonderful gifts from your sister Sue! She is very generous to share them. The clock is so beautiful, and so is the cedar chest. I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing about them. Enjoy this upcoming week! :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You have a very generous sister! How wonderful of her to pass along these wonderful pieces to you. The pieces are beautiful and I know you will use them and take care of them. And your sister will still be able to enjoy seeing them when she visits you!
And, yes, I'd probably peek! :)
Thanks for your visits to my blog, I appreciate them so very much. Enjoy your week!

Christine said...

Both the chest and clock look like they were meant for you and your home. Especially the clock that sits so stately in your foyer.

Nice sister!

Anonymous said...

by the way just wanted to tell you love the header.. tree lined drive way what a dreamplace..
hugs

Jenni said...

Oh they are beautiful, dear and precious friend Sue! I am so thrilled you inherited such treasure..... And you are so kind to leave a comment and "check" on me.... it inspired me to finally post something new!

As always, it's a delight to visit y'all on the farm,
Hugs,
Jenni

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

What a beautiful old clock- your sister is very generous, and I am sure she is thankful to pass these treasures on to you.

Anonymous said...

Sue,
What beautiful treasures! And now your sister is able to simplify and also know they have a wonderful home!
Your communing with God post resonated in my spirit! Yes! That is how I would describe my special morning time with Him. I'm out on the back porch, doing the same.
And I am glad for the blessings you were able to appreciate through the water leak and repair.
Additionally, I love the picture of all the cukes you have preserved this year. I've done the fruit preserves and am starting to harvest green beans and zucchini.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and yes, I would peek!
And the day I served up the purslane salad, Mister was repeating in his head to himself, "Please don't tell me she's going to make me eat this, please don't tell me she's going to make me eat this...!"
But it was indeed delicious. You can't tell you are eating stems and leaves. The texture is tender and fresh with a nice little crunch.