Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~pickin, jammin, and grinning~

Written by Sue,Wednesday, June 5, 2013            A very nice day, partly cloudy, and low 80's ~perfecto~
Have you ever had one of those days where every thing just seemed to fall in place, and you were able to get so much accomplished, yesterday was such a day for me, so much so, I even amazed myself.~smile~
Tip for today.... Always start and end with a clean kitchen makes work so much easier and you are ready for the next days work.Which I will be doing as soon as I finish this post. ~smile~
MR P. dug the potatoes, and rinsed then twice before bringing them to me, I scrubbed each one  twice to remove any soil, I leave the peelings on because, they are all organic, and besides I love the peelings.  Just think these potatoes were in the ground yesterday morning and by evening they were sitting on my counter top in jars.
You might ask, why I can so much,... only half of these will I keep for us, the other half goes to family and friends, When Susan was here she took back three canning boxes of goodies, and this week I will be mailing some to the others. I just love it when they ask to take some home.

 When DH came in last evening, he said, "Wow Sue you got a lot accomplished," my reply was "me and Jesus did," for it is only by his ..

and strength, that I do anything!!

Since the family has left, DH and I have been trying to get things caught up here at the farm, of course as every farmer knows that is almost impossible. Besides the potatoes, I have been busy picking,shelling,and canning, English peas,(in the south we call these garden peas), yellow squash, and finish the strawberries(today),
They were just hanging there asking to be picked.
Washed and ready to put in jars.
 yellow squash,
Almost ready, maybe tomorrow!




I thought about making a tutorial video but decided not too, I have a very southern accent, and you would probably be laughing so hard, that you would not follow instructions,~smiling~, so I decided to take  lots of photos for a tutorial and am planning to add them to my recipe page,(hopefully soon,lol) if you are interested in knowing how I canned these veggies, stay tuned, or feel free to ask me  any questions.

~Washed and ready to slice~
I thought I had enough jam made,

until the phone calls.  "Oh, mother this is the best jam, ever. ummm Have you anymore, please?~big grin~ This is only a small batch,(that's what we call a canning of jam.) If I do say so myself, it was "fittin to eat".  lol

In between work, I was having some fun, I love lavender, while I was working in the garden the fragrance was  heavenly,.... so I gathered some.
Very noticeable fragrance when placed about the house, this sifter belonged to my dear MIL, I still use it, I have watched her many times lovingly sifting flour to make something special for her family. She is dearly missed! 

  To all of you who stop by for a visit, I say "Thank you so much."
Enjoy your day, savoring moments, as I am!
Sue




30 comments:

NanaNor's said...

What a sweet bounty! Love it that you are able to get so much harvest.
I love it that you share so much too.
Have a blessed day my friend.
Noreen

Vee said...

Ohhh that is all so pretty sitting there. It is hard to believe that one woman got it all done! You're amazing and I thank God for you. Bet that your entire family does as well. I always say, once summer arrives, that I'll not be seeing Sue before November. Ha! You're going to be busy. Say, is your mom going to be coming by for any canning projects? (Oh, and this may be nuts, but I had no idea that anyone canned potatoes.)

Happy@Home said...

I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment you must feel at the end of the day. How wonderful to preserve the healthy bounty of all of those gorgeous vegetables and fruits and to share it with others too.
Every year I think this is going to be the year when I do some canning. Ha, hasn't happened yet. Personally I think a tutorial would be just the thing to inspire me. :). I think your sweet southern accent would just add to the charm. I, for one, hope you will consider it.
As for the lavender, I am going to have to plant some. For some reason I thought it didn't do well with our humidity. I think you have just disproved that theory :).

Debbie said...

You make me feel quite inadequate. I pulled little trees out of my flower beds this morning.Too bad they're not edible cause we'd have a mess of em!
:) Debbie

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Wow, Sue! I used to can, but I couldn't have gotten all that done in a day's time. It all looks so good! I think you should do a tutorial for those who don't know how to can or have forgotten (like me) how it's done. I've canned most things from homemade apple pie filling to green beans, but never potatoes, so I'd be interested in seeing how you do that.
Enjoy the rest of your week!

SarahGeorge said...

What a wonderful post! It's surely a great accomplishment. I too love growing fresh veggies:). Visiting your lovely farm for the first time and had so much fun! Thanks for the very helpful tip too:)
Sarah

Carol said...

You are amazing! It would take me more than one day to can that much! I just love seeing your canned goods. It always reminds me of all the canning my Mother & Grandma Ruby did. The squash, peas & strawberries look so delicious. I can see why your kids want more of your jam. Yum!

Patti said...

We recently moved to the country - and the garden is still NOT in - because my poor husband is still building the fence to keep the rabbits out! BUT...I so want a nice garden. I have no idea how to can - but you make it look easy and fun. I just wish California was closer so you could give me some lessons. Your blog is wonderful!!! Blessings, Patti

Doniene said...

Oh, I'm green with envy!!! I haven't been able to can like that in several years! But oh so very thankful for your bounty that I know you unselfishly share!! Your definitely a true daughter of the King!! Oh, I wish my lavender would grow like that - I do love it so!! and I have an apple sifter just like that!!! It was Mike's grandmother's! Such wonderful memories!

Blessings sweet Sue!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I am so impressed! What beauty, looks like something out of a magazine. Just nothing like fresh veggies canned and homemade jellies. It's something I've never done but probably should.

Sweet blessings on your major accomplishment!!!

Farm Girl said...

My goodness Sue, I cannot even begin to fathom that work you got accomplished on a single day. That was how much food I could do if my girls helped me about once a year. But oh my goodness. Such a beautiful kitchen to behold.
I love all of that good food. Your red potatoes are just wonderful. So are the peas.
So many strawberries. God has really blessed the work of your hands.

Cheryl said...

As always, Sue, your hard work and cheerful spirit are inspiring! You are such a busy bee and a blessing, I'm sure, to all of your family and friends.

I cast my vote in favor of you doing a video tutorial. I'd love to hear your charming southern accent!

Thanks for taking a little break from your chores to pop in for a visit.

{{Hugs}},
Cheryl

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sue! I've missed you!

What a gift you give to your family.

It all looks so good.

Deanna

Debbie said...

Good morning! WOW! I love seeing such diligent productive efforts! You got soo much done! What a good feeling it was I am sure. How I would love to taste any of those veggies! What a blessing for your family. Mike was planting while we were at Mel's, and was I ever surprised at how much work it all was. Mel needs to learn how to can. Maybe when the babies are a little older. She's kind of pre-occupied right now. : ) I made jam twice in my whole life, and I was soo proud of myself, haha. Enjoy your day Sue!

no spring chicken said...

Wow. All in a day's work? I. Am. So. Ashamed. You definitely inspire, Sue. And may I say that every picture is absolutely gorgeous? There I said it. :) Count me as one who would LOVE to hear your southern accent. I'm sure it's as embracing as your beautiful home and your beautiful blog!

Blessings, Debbie

Angela said...

I'm from East Tennessee, so my accent is a little more mountain than southern, but I'd love to hear your voice! Actually, what I need to do is take some lessons from you -- you are one productive woman!!

Patsy said...

My Sue you are an inspiration! We had little new potato's for dinner with lamb chops, so good.

happyone said...

Wow you've been busy! How neat it all looks!
What a lucky family! : )

Elena said...

Your canning is so beautiful! We have a small garden planted and we are looking to havesting and canning some things. You truly are amazing!!

Anonymous said...

wow wee - can canning get any more awesome - what a joy -- having the means in which to can your good;s from your won garden and sweeter to know you share so much of it -- my dear you are blessed from your kind giving heart..and your DH to help -- now pass the peas and the jam - Please - thank you -- wink!
Hugs

Jenni said...

Sue!! girl!! You are a lean and mean, cannin' machine!!!! Whew! It makes me tired just thinking of all that work... you amaze me... and it is beautiful the way you acknowledge the Lord giving you strength....

Hugs!
Now I want Strawberries!!! LOL!
Jenni

Jenni said...

Oh, and thanks for your comment on my blog about the "Robbery Ordeal" I went through last weekend... your thoughtful words brought comfort... you are a Kind and Caring Lady and I appreciate you very much....
Hugs (Again LOL)
Jenni

Kathi said...

Sue, You are amazing! Your produce and canning are all beautiful. Thank you for the welcome back. I'm so far behind, it will take me a while to be able to return comments. God bless you. Hugs, Kathi

Myra Campbell Phillips said...

I stumbled upon your lovely blog by accident yesterday. I was delighted with my visit to your farm via blogosphere. It's been a long time dream of mine to have my family live on a farm in a farmhouse. I've envisioned that when I have grandchildren that they would want to spend time at this farm learning how to grow their own food & can food etc. much like you are doing. Thank you for allowing me the glimpse of what I would like my future to look like. My children are just now starting to "fly the coop". Hopefully it wont be long before we find our dream home. In the meantime I am going to hit the farmers market and start learning to can. Thanks again for the inspiration! Blessings! Myra

Debbie said...

And yet again, I read through all of this and thought, "I want to grow up and be Sue on Pear Tree Lane Farm."

Yeah, I know. I had better be committed to hard work if I do.

I love the fact that you can enough to share. That's really what it's all about.

Christine said...

I've been away and when I returned, I ran to my computer to see what you have been up to.
WOW! Yes, you have been busy! You make it look so easy and sooo beautiful.
How does someone get on that list of blessed folks?

Always enjoy my visits to The Farm!
Bless you!

NanaNor's said...

Sue, Every time I see your profile picture, I mean to write and tell you how incredibly beautiful you are! I think you've lost weight or have over the last year-it certainly shows.
Sending love your way tonight.
Noreen

Trish said...

Do you ever rest, lol!!!!
Sue you are one amazing woman - with ONE amazing God!
What a wonderful bounty you have to share with those you love.
I really enjoy seeing what you have been up to and always leave here inspired and uplifted.
Thanks a lot!
Oh and..I would LOVE to hear your voice and accent.
It would be the next best thing to actual "chatting" with you.
Be blessed my friend!
love in Jesus..Trish x

Paula said...

Sue, you have been busier than a little bee! I love to see jars of canned ANYTHING... it means someone will be enjoying the fruits of their labor long after the harvest is over and that thought makes me smile. :)
Your garden came in early... you all must have planted sooner than we did because ours is only just now about ready to harvest.
And those jams and jellies.. OH MY~ pass the biscuits!! *haha*

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Wow! Looks like all you can and make is "fittin to eat"! You sure do accomplish much and have such a loving, giving spirit! :)