Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~A little Thyme in the garden~

Written by Sue, Tuesday, June 23, 2015      Sizzling hot today, 102, high humidity

If you come looking for me early in the morning you will probably find me in the herb garden,first thing on my agenda is going through pulling any weeds that have popped up overnight, trust me they do pop up overnight. ~grin~ Next I clip any over growth I see, especially if the herb is beginning to flower out, that is not good, when this happens the herb losses some of its potency and flavor.
As you can see Peter Rabbit is very diligent about keeping an eye on the garden, nothing gets by his watchful eye.


#1photo~Here you find, rosemary, love the fragrance so much, it is very strong! I use this with baked chicken,and salmon!
#2~going across is sage, I use this in stews, dressing,also dry it for later, though this herb is hardy in the South, and most times I can gather it fresh!
#3~flat leaf parsley, this herb is great for just about anything,also use fresh and dry!
#4~curly leaf parsley, same as with the flat leaf parsley, also it is good for freshening the breath, just      pick, wash and pop in the mouth!



#1~ has several varieties of oregano, there is even a spicy hot one, it is very hot! I use oregano fresh    and also dry for winter. This really comes in handy when I make my spaghetti sauce.
#2 basil, I have about five different varieties, love the smell of basil! Do you see the flowering bud at the top of the stem, cut it off, the basil plant will become bushier, and the flavor will be stronger.
#3~  is eucalyptus, I use it when making flower arrangements, can also be used medicinally.
#4~ is lemon thyme, smells so good, I also use it fresh and dry for winter.


This is stevia, I will be cutting and making a fresh stevia elixir this week, great for those watching their weight and who like sweets.

 Lets not forget dill, I use this in making pickles, as you can see the seed are forming, just waiting for them to dry!I also plant garlic chives, good for making vinegars, lemon verbena, curry, marjoram!
 On my way in from all the heat and humidity I couldn't resist cutting a few hydrangeas for drying! I tried this last year for the fist time and had great success!This has become one of my favorite flowers!

Genesis 1:29~ And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which (is) upon the face of the earth, and every tree, in which(is) the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.    
I hope you enjoyed your visit with me in my herb garden today, I started learning and planting herbs over thirty years ago, and truly believe they are so healthy for us, when I use herbs,  I don't have to flavor so much with salt, plus I use herbs for medicinal uses.
     
Example.... Last night Mr P. went out to water the plants on the porch, dressed in shorts no T-shirt,  the mosquitoes had a feast, he showed me the whelps and bites this morning, I immediately went and made a mixture of coconut oil and Tea Tree oil, rubbed it practically all over him, (I have never seen so many bites), immediately he had relieve and has not had any itching since, though the whelps and bites are still very visible. Tea Tree oil is always in our medicine cabinet! So many other uses for it!

That's about all for now from the farmhouse, I would like to really complain about the hot, humid weather we are having, but the Lord wants me to be thankful for what I have, my heart and prayers go out to all those who are having even worse weather situations than a little heat and humidity! As I know that this will soon pass, but those who lost everything in the tornadoes and flooding will have a tougher time rebuilding their lives.Please help me pray or them!
1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that first of all. supplications, prayers, intercessions, (and) giving of thanks, be made for all men:

much love, 
Sue


Once again linking up with Stephanie at Roses of Inspiration, thank you Stephanie for hosting, I am looking forward to making new friends! Also thank you for mentioning my blog and welcoming me to Roses of inspiration link-up party!

21 comments:

Christine said...

I'm hand is getting a cramp from taking notes on how and what to grow in my garden.
Do I see pine needles as a mulch?
Tree Tea oil? Will this help my dog's itch too?
Love visiting The Farm!

Sylvia said...

What a pretty garden you have!
Thanks for visiting me and leaving a sweet comment.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Sue, what an amazing garden you have so lovingly created. The bunny is such a sweet accent. Your plantings are so lush and beautiful. Truly a blessing to spend time in this growing space. What a talent you are.
So nice to meet you. I enjoyed my visit here so much. Thank you for stopping by to visit me as well and your kind comment. Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week.
Hugs and Blessings, Celestina Marie

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sue,
Thank you for sharing your beautiful herb garden with us! I don't grow very many herbs but would like to grow more and learn more about them.

I have the flat leaf parsley and lavender, this year. In the past I have done cilantro, too.

I do use Tea Tree Oil too! Love what God has provided for us!

Deanna

Cheryl said...

I love your herb garden, Sue!! That is one area of gardening that I enjoy myself. I love to use fresh herbs in my cooking, although I have not yet explored their medicinal uses. And I did not know that parsley was a breath-freshener! (All of our swallowtail caterpillars should have some very good breath, because they usually eat it down to the ground!)

Keep cool(ish)!! Hugs...

Vee said...

The herb garden looks so tidy and vigorous. I, too, am a big believer in the power of herbal medicines, I will remember the treatment your hubby received. Not so long ago, my grandson began to complain that his ears were feeling funny. (He's terribly good at self-diagnosing an ear infection.) He got a treatment, too. of Thieves and coconut applied around his ears, but not in them. Thus we headed an ear infection off at the pass. Yay!

I meant to have a planter of a few of these herbs this summer. My raised bed has been devoted to zucchini, but I'd rather have herbs! Since the tree canopy has grown in again, we have even less sunlight and so the herbs do not do so well. Perhaps it is not too late for the herbs, though, in a pot upon the deck.

Oh, yes, the week has not been kind to many. We even had tornado watches here last night, which is practically unheard of. Still, it would be lovely if I could share some of this Canadian high that has descended with you...such crisp, cool air it is. (I'm sure that my flowers and John would appreciate some warmth.)

Conniecrafter said...

Your garden is so pretty enclosed in that white picket fence, that is great you use so many herbs, I would need to do some research I don't know how to use them, which herbs with what kind of food and so on. We did purchase a stevia plant this spring and it is taking off, we probably should have planted it somewhere it had more room to grow. Yes it is hard not to complain when the weather is this hot and humid but should be thankful in all.

Debbie said...

Good morning Sue! I am ashamed to admit I don't really know a thing about herbs, and of course I've never grown them. How knowledgeable and wise you are on the subject, and the garden LOOKS wonderful too! I am very interested in the one you said was good for those needing/wanting to lose weight and control sugar? I also try every supplement and alternate means of curing something before I even consider taking a medication. Just prefer the natural way. Oh, and btw, I can just see our hubby's enjoying some basketball and you and I chatting the day away on the porch watching. Wouldn't it be wonderful to meet someday? Well if not here, certainly in heaven. Enjoy the rest of your week Sue!

Patsy said...

Enjoyed the visit in the herb garden, thanks for reminding me of the tea tree oil have not had it in my medicine cabinet in a while.

Stephanie said...

Oh Sue, what a lovely and delightful herb garden! I have always wanted to have an herb garden, but have simply never done it... You have inspired me, my dear, and maybe I will have one next year :)

Thank you so much for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Sue. Your herb garden is spectacular. We are going to have to rework our front garden, too much lawn watering in this drought, and I hope to have a nice herb garden. It is the only place where we get enough sun during the day so I'm hoping they will grow well there I peeked back aways on your posts. Your front porch is wonderfully decorated for the holiday and your family is quite nice looking. Thank you for you kind comments to me and keep enjoying your summer..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I am in awe of your herb garden- I can only imagine how much work goes into keeping that up. My husband uses stevia as his sweetener- mostly in coffee, but it is his favorite right now.
I should educate myself better about the benefits of herbs. Thanks for sharing.

Polly said...

I really enjoyed this post Sue, love Peter Rabbit. Your herb garden is excellent, thank you for the information. I use a lot of herbs but only grow bay, rosemary, mint and bronze fennel which I grow for the decoration and I love the smell but it’s very invasive, I have to keep it strictly under control! I've heard of Stevia as a sweetener, but this is the first time I have seen the plant. I don’t have room for a formal herb garden but I’m thinking of growing more in pots on the patio. Hydrangeas are one of my favourites too. Very interesting about the coconut and tea tree oil as I sometimes get bitten by midges.

bj said...

I love your pretty herb garden..every year I say I am going to do this...but I never do...
Thanks so much for coming by....

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Such an enjoyable tour. I have never used herbs much but I just may start. And, I've heard so many good things about Tree Tea Oil that I may have to get some of that to keep on hand. Always a pleasure to stop by your place.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Sue, thanks for visiting me! I too love spending time in my herb garden. Yours is gorgeous! Love how it's surrounded by the cute picket fence. I love using and drying my herbs. I love basil and haven't gotten any in yet this year. Darn, I usually have it planted way before now. Just an annual here. I could not see a place to follow you. Also, I have a link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It's about sharing the things that make you happy. I'd love if you shared some time!
hugs,
Jann

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I enjoyed reading about your herb garden and how you use them! I have a pot of basil, my favorite herb and one that I love to use in many dishes. I also am taking note of your use of coconut oil and tea tree oil. Good to know that! Have a nice day, Sue, and thanks for your visit!

NanaNor's said...

Summer blessings to you Sue! I loved reading about your garden and found this one of herbs a great post. I wish you would have been here about a month ago-the previous owner planted Oregano in a bed with Echinecia-but it overtook the entire bed. I didn't use it for cooking so we took it out; I'm sure it will come back though. We plant basil at our daughters homes(in their large garden)so that we can make pesto-love it. It is so good to catch up with you.
Sending big hugs your way!
Noreen

happyone said...

So nice seeing your beautiful garden. I don't have herbs planted in mine but I got my inspiration on how your garden was laid out for my garden. : ) I love walking around it watching things grow. Thanks.

Happy@Home said...

Your herb garden is so pretty, Sue. Mine is much smaller, but seems to do the trick for our needs. This summer I have challenged myself to make better use of them. I tend to dry them, make vinegar or use them fresh in cooking. I am interested in learning more about using them medicinally.
Your hydrangeas look beautiful. Mine are hanging in there, but rather droopy from this heat... kind of like me :). I hope the weatherman is right about the cool down coming this weekend.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Your herb garden is wonderful, I only have one section of my garden what receives full sun and do have a section for herbs. I pretty much have what you grown with lemon grass, mint and lots of basil! In fact I used the basil in fresh tomato sauce for spaghetti tonight. Your hydrangeas are beautiful and I just got my first bloom!