Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

I'm a working girl now!

Written by Sue, March 24, 2015                       Partly sunny temps.60's

Hello dear friends,
Yes, I am a working girl for real, I am getting to use my CNA training, I work two 12 hr. shifts twice a week, at night, I must admit it is a real challenge staying up at night,~smile~. My whole body rhythm is out of sync, that's probably the reason I am writing this post so late tonight, or should I say morning.~grin~

There are only a few things in life that I hate, I don't even like the word hate, but Cancer and Alzheimer's are two things I literally detest. I have dealt with cancer through my Mother's illness, and am very happy to say she is doing so well, (no cancer found with the last surgery,)so much so that she has even gone back to working one day a week. To God be the glory!

The patient that I take care of is battling Alzheimer's, he is one of the sweetest persons I have ever met, a retired minister.I have learned so much lately about this terrible and dreaded disease, of how it affects not only the patient but the family as well, as many of you know, because you have walked this road yourself. When faced with situations in life, I am reminded of God's truth and faithful promises!

Deuteronomy 31:8~The Lord Himself goes before you, and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

 The most important thing is to be sure the patients physical needs are met, but a close second and third, is to try and make sure that they keep their "independence" and "dignity" as well! When I come to his home the first thing I ask him is "Did you miss me?' His reply always with a big grin is "Till I'm gone." another favorite time is when I put him to bed and I ask him, "are you ready for your goodnight prayers," he always prays the sweetest prayers, I tuck him in and he goes to sleep fairly quickly, but soon is up again!

It is hard for the family to see their loved one being boxed into a dark and lonely place, my heart really goes out to them,and as a caregiver I have become so attached to both the patient and family, trying to be there for them when the questions seem to roll, especially in the morning when they come over and I have to give an oral and written report of how his night was! it seems that Alzheimer's is so much more evident at night. I love the smiles when I am able to say "He had a good night."

So much has and is happening here at the farm, we are so busy getting things planted for our new season, and lots of new lambs this year too, hoping to share real soon, I truly have missed everyone and think of you so often.  I wanted to have a pretty photo to share with this post, hope you enjoy! This rose is for you  dear friends!


Blessings 
Sue 

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Good morning Sue! So glad you caught us up on your happenings. Somehow I have absolutely no doubt what a blessing you are to this sweet man and his family. It is such a calling. I am soo glad to hear your mom is doing so well too. God is good ALL the time. I think of you often and wonder what's happening and so it's good to know. I have had the shingles these last couple of weeks and honestly the pain has been almost unbearable at times. It does give me such an empathy for those who deal with chronic pain. The rose is beautiful. That and the verse has lifted my spirits this morning! Hope all remains GOOD for you my friend. Hugs! Debbie

Cheryl said...

It is so good to hear from you, friend! And it's wonderful to hear that your mother is doing so well!

Oh, the heartache of living in a world that has been cursed by sin...suffering, disease, separation, death. There is only peace by recognizing that He is our help and our comfort and that He has only good for His children, even when we don't recognize it as "good." I know that you are a blessing and a comfort to this dear family for whom you are working!

(Kati is currently taking classes to be certified as a CNA. She completely loved caring for an elderly father of a friend for a year and a half. When he passed away, she decided to become certified for that kind of work. It is such valuable work!!)

Take care...just pop in to "Pear Tree Lane" whenever you can. It's always a treat to hear from you!

Vee said...

Yay! Love finding a post here.

Oh my! Such changes, Sue. You are a darling for stepping up and helping in this retired pastor's life. I so hate Alzheimer's, too. I am not even sure that "hate" is a strong enough word. I'm pretty sure that God hates it, too. The lessons that come, however, may well be priceless.

And your mom is back to work, too? Just can't keep a good woman down. =D

Farm Girl said...

I am so glad for the update Sue. I am so glad that your Mom is doing so well and to know that you are busy with the farm and a new job. I hope your body soon adjusts. I am thankful that God has blessed you in this way. To God be the Glory.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Sue!

I am so happy to see you here! What a blessing your work is to those family members whose loved one is in need.

Glad to hear your mother is doing so well!

Deanna

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm so glad to see your post! Your new job is most certainly a blessing to the retired pastor and his family. He couldn't be in better hands. Alzheimer's and so many other diseases are so horrible that it is not too hard to hate them.
It's good to hear that your mother is doing well and working.
Take care and have a nice week!

Patsy said...

First so happy your mother is doing so well and back on job.
My mother had Alzheimer, also my friend and our retired pastor.
The trials that were gone through getting people to help care for them was also heart breaking at times.
I am sure God had a hand in you being this mans loving care taker.
So happy to hear from you.

happyone said...

So glad to hear that your mom is doing so well.
What a blessing you are to your patient and his family.
My mom is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. She was supposed to have open heart surgery last week and has had some complications and now they are thinking not to have the heart surgery at all.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, I too am glad you caught us up on what you've been up to. I know you are truly an angel for this gentleman and his family. I know a little of this disease-my mil had it. What a blessing to be able to pray with him. Hope you aren't pushing yourself too hard though.
Blessings on your week.
Hugs, Noreen

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh this just blessed my spirit and a healing balm to my soul. The Lord has gifted you with such strength and compassion. Blessings and so good to stop in. My the Lord continue to hold you with His right arm.

Elena said...

You are amazing dear Sue! I am so glad your mom is doing well! God is so good!

Christine said...

Your heart is so BIG!
To love and serve our God, through those who are in need of a soft and loving, touch is such a blessing.
We all can learn from you!

Praises! Your mom is better!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, no doubt you are such a gift to both the patient and the family. My MIL had Alzheimer's and it is the saddest disease and to watch your loved one fall victim to it is just awful. Blessings to you!

Barb said...

Hi Sue! I don't know how I missed this post - I'm so glad I scrolled down!

Alzheimer's and dementia are so debilitating. My mother has dementia, and it is such a struggle, physically, mentally and sometimes spiritually. I am so thankful to wonderful people like you, who have the patience, love and time to care for and love these sweet individuals, who deserve only the best of care!

I know that your sweet patients family, just love you and are so thankful for all you do for their father.

Have a wonderful and blessed Easter!

Hugs,
Barb

Krystal Copeland said...

It is amazing what you are doing, taking care of that gentleman. What you said about the second and third most important things about taking care of him really resonated with me. Helping an individual keep their freedom and dignity is not only important for them but very admirable on your part. It is not easy to do when you are the caregiver.

Krystal Copeland @ Countryside Village