Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~A day in the life of a farm girl~

Written by Sue, Saturday, July 29, 2023   Cloudy, very warm, high humidity, temps. 90's

The sheep don't seem to mind the excessive heat, as long as they can graze ,they are content.

Wow! Another week has passed, and July is drawing to a close, which means our hottest month is approaching, on the brighter side, fall is coming soon, my favorite season. 

This past week found me mostly in the kitchen doing what I do most in summer, preserving  our food for the rest of the year.

You might wonder why I do so much preserving of food, and there are many reasons,.. to name a few,.. we grow it, it is safe from chemicals, it's cheaper, both Mr P and I enjoy gardening and we get to bless our children and grandchildren with bounty from the farm. Most of them live in the city, and have such busy lives that time nor resources permit them to do this. It gives us so much pleasure to share.

The spring and summer garden season is closing, Mr p has planted a few things for fall that we haven't grown due to the excessive rain. I will now get a break to do some much needed house cleaning, which I am so looking forward to.

So here are a few things I canned this week......

Three types of relish,

dill which is a favorite, I use this in all types of salads, all ingredients came from the garden except the vinegar and sugar, spicy sweet relish same with ingredients this relish is spicy and is good when eating collards, turnips or any fresh veggie, cucumber relish so good on hot dogs and hamburgers.I also canned okra, with okra you either love it or hate it, we love it. making relish is so simple and delicious.


My brother always blesses my Mother and I with peaches in the summer, aren't they pretty.


 so I canned a few jars, and made peach jam, dh says one of the best jams I have ever made, I added a secret ingredient, 




I pinky promise my photos of canning will end soon, maybe I will share other things, but for now this is my daily routine.I know I have another post I would like to share of a new skill I am learning about food preservation so please bear with me, I think you might find it interesting. 

Have a great weekend.

Blessings

 Sue

A word of encouragement.

Nahum 1:7~ The Lord is good,

 a stronghold in the day of trouble, 

and He knows those who trust in Him


11 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend. What a wonderful way to spend your summer days! I can't imagine being able to do that! How I wish I knew! Your kitchen is beautiful, too. Have a cozy afternoon!

Ginny Hartzler said...

The peaches are so beautiful. I love your kitchen!!!

Farm Girl said...

I never ever get tired of seeing canning. To me it is better than gold. Plus having a full pantry and knowing that you know what when into the jars is an added plus.
My August challenge starts on the first. Canning, freezing and all kinds of home making chores. Its something I do with my daughter and daughter in law.
We do something every day for 31 days.
I will get my beans done and my pie fillings done and this year I will be making soap.
So its really a wonderful time of year. You are so right Sue, fall is just around the corner.
It is so nice to bless people with the work of our hands.

Karen and Gerard said...

That is so nice of you to share with others. Our lifestyles are so different!

Theresa said...

I love home grown food. That's how I was raised, food from the garden and Mama would spend LOTS of time canning. We sat under the old oak tree, snapping beans, shelling peas and shucking corn. We only had tomatoes this year and SO many, they have been plentiful and YUMMY! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

ellen b. said...

Your counter top of jars is a work of art! Beautiful and all that bounty will be enjoyed by many. Hats off to you for all your hard work!

Row. said...

Good morning, I loved reading about your canning in the summer, what a wonderful way to spend your days, sound like a dream to me, hard work but so worth it. I love the complement your hubby gave you on your canned peach jam. In these times this post brings my heart joy. Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. White said...

I love your posts on canning and preserving food. I also enjoy seeing the pictures. It is inspiring and helpful!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Again,
Oh my and those peaches look so good. I have been on a peach eating binge
lately too. I want to get some more. I love to just cut up peaches and put a lil sugar on them, and eat them with bread and butter and a glass of milk.
For me that is some good eating!! lol Like to do the same with some lovely ripe tomatoes. You are the canning queen, look at all that bounty and I love all your reasons for canning.........
Have a great week ahead hon,
Blessings, Nellie
I also commented on your post before this one. Just in case you didn't notice.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

R's Rue said...

You are amazing. I love those peaches. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com