Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Something for you and for friends~

Written by Sue, Monday, July 27, 2015                     Partly sunny with evening showers temps.90's


I have been making my own vanilla extract for quite a while! Just two basic ingredients, alcohol and vanilla beans!

Split the beans with a sharp knife, opening up the fragrant seeds, place in a jar, add a type of alcohol, I used vodka, gently shake, store in a cool dark place for at least a month.
  Mine had been brewing for several months in my pantry! I would stop by to say "hi" and give it a gentle shake every week or so, just to let it know I had not forgotten it!~smile~

Today, I decided it had brewed long enough, it was now ready to be poured in a clean bottle. I found this little bottle at TJ Max, very reasonable. Using a small funnel, I poured it in the bottle.

 This bottle had two things I liked, a twist off cap, and chalkboard to label!

This extract is so amazing, so fragrant, it can be used in cooking, baking, anything calling for vanilla,
I also split a new half vanilla bean and added it to the bottled extract! I might even dab a few drops behind my ears!~grin~
 I took the remaining vanilla extract, added more vanilla beans, (split), and vodka, placed the jar in the pantry to brew, probably a few months, just in time for Christmas gift giving, ~wink~ I bought these cute bottles at TJ Max also, very reasonable too!


I hope you are inspired to make your own natural vanilla extract! You can also make other natural extracts, lemon, orange, almond, (which are next on my list!) All great for Christmas gift baskets, along with other goodies,so let's get those extract brewing!

That's all from the farmhouse for now, have a blessed week!
Love,
Sue
I am linking with Stephanie at Roses of Inspiration, thank you for hosting Stephanie,




23 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I've been wanting to do this for ages!

I must give this a try!

Deanna

Anonymous said...

I've never tried this but I think I should! Thanks for the directions and encouragement!

Cheryl said...

Sue, we made our first batch of homemade vanilla extract last September! Oh, what a difference in flavor! We love it now and will never go back to the store bought variety. We just started a new jar because our supply was getting low...

Happy summer Tuesday to you!!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific idea Sue! I would like to try this starting this fall. Thank you so much for sharing....

mari

Debbie said...

Good morning! How interesting this is! And I don't have to even wonder....I am sure it is wonderful and way, way better then anything you can buy in the store. I love the smell and taste of vanilla. What a great gift idea! Thanks for the tutorial! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Farm Girl said...

This is the time of year to do that for Christmas. Every year I am going to do it. I need to add it to my list of things I would like to do. Very nice bottles Sue! I like all of the bottles you found.
Thank you for the very nice tutorial.

Vee said...

I am coming to the end of my vanilla, but blessed me, I have another bottle brewing somewhere in the pantry. A bottle of vodka/vanilla lasts about a year around our wee haven. How long does yours last? (Not too long if you are giving it away! =D )

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I will have to try this! You've made it sound so easy to do and I'm sure it's much better than the store bought vanilla. Thanks for the information, Sue! Have a nice afternoon!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I meant to add that I'm not sure what hubby will say if he sees me bringing a bottle of vodka home! Haha!

happyone said...

What a great idea. I've never done that before. How much vodka and beans do you use?

Debbie Harris said...

Well look at that! What a great idea, and I like the idea of the other extracts as well. Yes, great gift ideas.

TJMax has such great things, but our nearest one is two hours away. Home Goods is another wonderful place to shop. :)

Joy! Debbie

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

I'm a big fan of vanilla and have always wanted to make my own extract. Thank you so much for this tutorial complete with photos. I bet the taste of the homemade extract is amazing! Love your choice of bottles with the labels. What great Christmas gifts they will make.

Patsy said...

So easy to do, what cute bottles.
You always have so much fun in the kitchen.
Hoping all is well with your mother.
Hugs

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Hope this finds you doing well hon.

Wow, who knew making vanilla extract
could be that simple............makes me want to try it too, and some of
the others flavors as well. Course, don't use it that often, cause I really don't bake all that much, but do use it from time to time.....lol

Boy, those blueberry hand pies looking mighty delicious too. Looks like
some good eating.............YUM!

Have a great week,
Blessings, Nellie

Christine said...

Is it really THAT simple?
Why didn't I know this?
I'm visioning Christmas gifts, for sure!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I know this is soooo good and perhaps I could try this once we get moved and I'm not consumed with all this moving stuff. :o)) Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

been wanting to do this ... but yet to do it..thanks for the steps..
It looks like it's not that hard.. wink!
Hugs

Stephanie said...

Homemade vanilla...what a treat! I have a sweet friend that visits Mexico every year and she always brings me vanilla from there and boy is it good :)

Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration, sweet friend. Hugs!

Barb said...

Hi Sue~

I love homemade vanilla! I have been making it for years, and I don't think I could ever go back to store-bought! I love the cute jars, I will have to check out the local TJ Max!

Hugs,
Barb

Rose of Sharon said...

That is amazing! I want to try it! Thank you for sharing how easy it is. I love the little bottle! :)

Kathi said...

Thank you, Sue. This is something I did not know I could make myself.

M.K. said...

Well, look at that!Amazing, and I'm surprised to see how very dark it became. I'd love to try this some day (after life settles down a good bit). Thanks for stopping by my blog and seeing our very crazy life right now. Your blog is just lovely! I loved looking at those yummy blueberry hand pies too.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Sue, Thank you for sharing this with us! A neighbor lady,who babysit me, always made her own and there is nothing like the fragrance of Vanilla to warm a home.
Have a fantastic weekend.
Hugs, Noreen