Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Wednesday Hodgepodge.. Thankfulness.

Written by Sue, Wednesday, November 22, 2017      beautiful fall day, temps. 60's


1. Tradition... how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu. always eat at 2.p.m.,etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?

When our children were living at home we followed the tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving at home, as they grew up, married, moved away, and started their own family and traditions things were rearranged. 

As I am writing this I am thinking this is the way it was with me as I was growing up. The more things stay the same the more they change.


We never missed Macy's Thanksgiving parade, even after the children moved away, I would watch. 

Holidays are always celebrated at home, Mr P. and I have thought of taking a trip to the mountains, but it never came to fruition.

2 Help.. is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing? 

I am a do-it-yourselfer, but don't mind asking for help,but find that all our family and guests always ask to help, it is just the way we were brought up. 

It is good to ask for help  especially when running behind schedule. It is  a bad thing for me when others are in the kitchen , I have the tendency to talk to much and forget about what's on the stove. ~smile~ However, I have no problem asking for help with cleanup!~wink~Though  I have found that when it comes to clean-up I never have to ask, my family and guest are aways so eager to help.

3.Abundance.. what is there an abundance of in your kitchen.
Corn, actually it is in my pantry, I canned 64 pts. this summer. We had such an abundance. I find myself looking for corn recipes. 

4.Name... the smallest thing you're thankful for? the biggest?

My wedding band is the smallest, it is a reminder of my love, commitment to the most wonderful, loving, and giving man I know.


The biggest thankful is the day I gave my life to Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. He has given me hope, for eternal life. Joy no matter what circumstance is surrounding me.

5...Key.. What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?

Hmmm. Stop whining and complaining, purposely find things to be thankful for.  I have this thankful/blessings jar that I write one thing a day I am thankful for. When the new year is in, I always enjoy reading  my thankful/ blessings for the past year.


6.. State your own random thoughts here.

To elaborate on traditions, our traditions have changed over the years, our children live many miles away from the farm, we celebrate Thanksgiving at my Mother's home the Sunday before Thanksgiving with my siblings, as we did this past Sunday.

Notice the house is decorated for Christmas, my Mother always has her decorations up before Thanksgiving, my Dad once asked her why she put her Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving, her reply was, " Because I am thankful for Christmas."

There was such an abundance of food, my older sister(whom I haven't seen in almost a year), cooked most of the dinner, She wanted to do this for the family. Needless to say everyone went home with goody boxes of food.

Wishing you and your family a most blessed and "Happy Thanksgiving".


Love, 
Sue

Thank you Joyce for hosting Wednesday Hodgepodge


From this Side of the Pond


8 comments:

Christine said...

What a table! And what a great idea to have Thanksgiving with extended family (or even friends) the weekend before.

I was struggling with traditions that we use to have but no more. People who were around but no longer, for some reason. But God has changed my heart. I appreciate the moment. I'm now thankful for all the things He has provided, the big and small.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

64 jars of corn? Oh my goodness!!! You must have a huge garden! I'm impressed!

Barb said...

Hi Sue!

Beautiful thoughts - We really do have so much to be thankful for!! I love that your mother is able to host a, Thanksgiving dinner, that's just wonderful! Family is what it is all about, that and the love that we receive each day from our Father in Heaven, so thankful for my faith!

I'm also thankful for all blogging buddies!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

ellen b. said...

Especially loved your answer to number 5. That early Thanksgiving meal looks so delicious. That is one full table! A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Sue!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Such a beautiful table! Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!

PJ said...

So much corn, how fabulous - I'm thinking soups, fritters, and lots of relish. I love your answer for the smallest thing you're thankful for as I nearly went with my wedding ring.
Hope you had a really blessed Thanksgiving.

Vee said...

Another beautiful Thanksgiving at your mother’s table! What a heritage! Everything, the food, the decor, the people look fantastic! And now the season has begun in all its hope and joy.

Cheryl said...

Popping in at the end of a whirlwind weekend to say: I hope your Thanksgiving week was joy-filled!