Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Speaking of Pie~

Written by Sue, Saturday January25,2014          partly sunny, still cold, temps. 40's it's winter don't cha know
Here is something to warm your tummy on a cold winter day, it is absolutely delicious, and can be prepared very quickly. I call this my 'Baked Oatmeal Pie".

Combine:dry ingredients and mix well:
1 1/2 cups steel cut oatmeal~
1 tsp.baking powder~
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt~
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon~
1 cup chopped walnuts~

Mix wet ingredients:
1 3/4 cups. almond or coconut milk, I used coconut, reg. milk will do too!~
2 small eggs beaten~
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey, I used honey, not quite 1/3cup~
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring, the real stuff~
Place 1 cup berries in bottom of pie plate, I used blackberries, any berry would be fine, I am also going to try apples soon,add dry ingredients over the berries,pour liquid over this, do not stir, top with as many berries as you like, bake in 350* oven until golden brown, or set, sorry I didn't time it. *note* this looks extra rich and yellow, because of the farm eggs from my hens!


 Serve as is, or you might want to pour some maple syrup over it for the kids. If you want a real hearty breakfast serve some bacon or sausage patty with this on the side!
This can also be used as dessert, serve warm from the oven, add ice cream  or whipped cream, This morning I added whipped cream with a sprinkle of cinnamon for Mr. P. He has been extra sweet this week, helping me with the garage! ~wink~
You can decide  for yourself if this is pie or not! ~Grin~ I don't scoop it(though it can be) I slice it, so does that qualify as pie?~smile~
Enjoy your day,
Hugs,
Sue

The prayers we weave into matching socks, the stirring of oatmeal, the reading of stories, they survive the fire.
Ann Voskamp.

15 comments:

Vee said...

If you are calling it "pie," I'll call it pie. John has oatmeal every day, though he likes his oatmeal on the light side. I like your kind of oatmeal pie. Hmmm...whipped cream in the morning? Wow. You really know how to live!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, It's so nice to meet you. We would love your oatmeal pie! I'm with Vee, whipped cream in the a.m. is a real luxury!
I look forward to following you in the new year. Have a blessed weekend.

Patsy said...

That would be so health to have on this cold winter day because it is going to be in the low 50's and we must get out to shop or play after the deep freeze. And before Mondays new deep freeze that is coming.
Have a happy day!

Debbie said...

Oh Sue this sounds just wonderful! And I'd call it pie too. Yum, yum, yum. Enjoy your day!

ellen b. said...

That pie looks delicious!! :)

Angela said...

This does look delicious! And I love the quote from Ann Voskamp:)

Angela said...

This does look delicious! And I love the quote from Ann Voskamp:)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love blackberries, but apple sounds good for this pie, too! Looks very tasty!

Cheryl said...

I am on my way to Pin this recipe, Sue! Yummmm...

(Whipped cream? Okay!) :D

Kathi said...

Yum yum, Sue. I think I will try this. My hubby would be thrilled. Kathi

Christine said...

I'm laughing because you can call it
pie or not just by the way you dish it out! Now that's my kind of style!

Trish said...

It looks good and wonderful, Sue!
What a great dish for a chilly day :-)
love and blessings..Trish xx

SarahGeorge said...

Dear Sue,
Thank you for your sweet visit to my blog. This oat meal pie looks delicious :). So happy to see your ewes :)And I enjoyed seeing the new year pictures with your sweet daughter. Yes missed you for some time. Hope to see you often :).
Have a nice day.
Hugs :)
Sarah

GretchenJoanna said...

This is just the recipe I need! So glad I stopped by here today, because I've been hankering for something like your pie, loving oats and walnuts and having some berries in the freezer. If I make something as pretty I'll probably have to blog about it - but I will use my own picture and link back to your recipe ;-)
Thanks for this, and for all the more recent blogging etiquette help, too.

GretchenJoanna said...

oops - that blogging etiquette was Vee and not you - I must go over to her site and give those thanks in the right place.