Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Savoring Christmas Memories~

Written by Sue, Friday December 13, 2019      Cold rainy day, 50's, a good day to blog!~smile~

When I was a child I thought December  was the longest month  of the year and that Christmas would never come. Now, wanting to savor each day, it seems to be the shortest month, I am wanting to put a stop on time, it seems to be flying by so fast!

Tuesday Mr P. and I decided to take a trip to see how my grandmother/great uncle's  old homestead was doing, we were so pleased that the old home place is being  so well taken care of! I love this place, it holds so many wonderful memories for me, both childhood memories and memories of bringing our children here for Sunday lunch, where the children played with the farm animals.

100+ yrs.

 Christmas was so special here, my g-uncle would go out into the woods, cut a small pine tree, secure it with crisscross wood slats, Granny and I would cross our fingers as we plugged in those  large, colorful  lights,  (if one would not burn then none would.)~smile~  she didn't have many decorations,  but they were beautiful decorations,hand painted mercury bulbs, oh how I wish I had her decorations today, one thing that she placed on her tree that I still do, is the silver tinsel!

This tree is our memory/homespun tree, my favorite Christmas tree, each year we buy a Frazier Fir,
it is decorated with bubbling lights (another childhood memory),
Handmade ornaments by our family, children and grandchildren made many years ago, the final touch is the silver tinsel!Here are a few of the ornaments that make this tree so special, The cloth cut-outs were made by my sister Mary, Susan and I about 35 yrs. ago. The white felt angel was made by my Mom a few yrs.ago. the painted wood ornaments by grands during summer visits, and a few by our sons 30 + yrs. ago. Lets not forget about Rudolph and his family,he has been with us for many years too!
Some crocheted, some smiling, happy faces, some sleeping waiting for Santa!

Each handmade ornament brings such a special memory, such as the cloth cut-outs we girls made, I remember  that evening many yrs. ago, laughing, talking and making plans as we hand stitched  and stuffed each one.... I must find this angel's secret, she has aged so much better than I have. ~wink~
 Each tree has its own nativity ornament, ... the reason for the season

I remember our sons painting the wooden ornaments at the kitchen table while I prepared dinner, I can now hear their sweet voices as they talked about what Santa would be bringing them, so anxious for Christmas to come, I think all children feel as though times stands still all through December. A tree must have an  old teddy bear.

Each year I would buy each of  them a Christmas coloring/activity book! Would you believe that I still have some of them packed away somewhere. Even though the children are grown and live far away, I still buy and read children books.  Some folks refuse to grow up!~grin~


 I don't usually share photos of myself, here is an exception, Susan and I take a Christmas  selfie every season!
2018
2019

Here is a special ornament just for you, dear friends you are so special!
Love,
Sue

25 comments:

Christine said...

When others show and share their trees with all the ornaments, it so special. It tells stories and shows love from the past.
The old homestead is the same way. Lots of memories, that are filled with love. You can just feel it!!!

Christine said...

PS... You look so young, very beautiful, too! Thanks for the pictures.❤

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are so pretty, and look so young! There is not a line on your face! You must live very healthy! Your tree is stunning! It is a tree of memories, so really a tree of life.

happyone said...

I like silver tinsel on a tree too. It never seems completely finished without it.

You have some very happy Christmas memories.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a darling post, Sue! I love hearing about your family times with your children and yourself. Such sweet memories. Your tree is lovely full of all of those special times. It's lovely to see the photos of you and your daughter. Your daughter really favors her mother. Very pretty. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Billie Jo said...

Oh, my friend!
I so enjoyed slowly scrolling through this beautiful post.
Your tree is absolutely gorgeous!
And I love the memories you shared with each of the ornaments.
I used to buy my kid's Christmas Activity Books too!!!!
And never ever stop reading children's Christmas books! : )
Beautiful selfie!
Hugs for a lovely weekend.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Such a beautiful bunch of memories! -Jenn

Vee said...

I enjoyed reading this morning! Love this year’s photo!

Arlene G said...

Sue, I loved reading several of your posts this morning. Love that you and your family go out to see the shut ins. That is such a ministry. Thanks for stopping by Nanaland this morning. I love to see a new commenter!!

ellen b. said...

Love the selfies! Beautiful. That's a good tradition to carry on. I enjoyed reading your Christmas memories. Such a memorable time of year for sure. That farmhouse really is in good shape. How nice that it is close enough for you to drive by...
Happy weekend to you!

Debbie Harris said...

Such a heart warming post, dear Sue.
Beautiful photo of you and your daughter.
Your Christmas tree sounds very much like our main tree, filled with memories from so many years ago and each year as we decorate the tree we enjoy reminiscing over ornaments that have a story to tell.
When my siblings and I were young and just beginning our lives married, we would get together over Christmas in one another's homes and enjoy sweet fellowship, but you had to bring a handmade ornament for that family and we would also make an ornament for each child. Well...We have all collected quite the unique ornaments not to mention all that the children began to collect and now have as they are married with their own homes.
I still give an ornament to my daughters and each of our grandsons ever Christmas.
One of my grandsons oputs a tree yo in his bedroom and decorated it with his own personal ornaments and he's only 11 years old. I just love it!

My mother and her father always used that tinsel and we had to put it on the tree a certain way, NO throwing it on!!
Do they even sell that any more? ;)

Your place here is always filled with beauty and I find great joy visiting with you.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones and God's blessings be upon you.

Joy! Debbie

Debbie Harris said...

Oops! I'm sorry for all those typo errors!! Spell check gets me often. ;)

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Love, love your tree. I guess I should have a more sentimental tree but I just have never gotten into that type tree but I sure do love them. I've had so many trees over the years. Love the picture of you and your daughter. Wishing you and yours the merriest of Christmases. Blessings abundant!

Cheryl said...

Awwww . . . I love your "memory tree," filled with special treasures! So many sweet remembrances!

Sue, you and your daughter look so much alike, and you're both beautiful!!

Theresa said...

Beautiful post! Love the tree and of course the ornaments that are SO special. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Edna B said...

I love the photos, and your tree is soooo beautiful! We had bubble lights too when I was a little girl. I have one now, but it is a night light. Your hand made ornaments are priceless. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You have a lovely tree, and the handmade ornaments are real treasures. I like tinsel on a tree too, and always put it on my tree back in the day when I still had a tree to decorate.
I saw in Cheryl's comment that the picture is of you and your daughter. You look so young--could be two beautiful sisters.

CHERI said...

Oh, sweetie, your tree reminds me so much of ours! It's filled with ornaments from years gone by...some made by my children, some bought on trips, etc. There are some that my husband and son painted when our son was just a little boy. But some of my favorites are these ugly green balls and red/white striped bells that we bought when we were first married. We had so little money and these ornaments were bought at a store having a fire sale:) I have to put those on my tree every year...just so special:) You and your daughter are both beautiful! Merry Christmas!!!

ashok said...

Lovely post...merry Christmas

Barb said...

Beautiful post, Sue!! Merry Christmas!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So true, I want to savor these last few days! You look awesome. I love your memories and all the photos. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Far Side of Fifty said...

beautiful ornaments with all the memories our tree is decorated the same way. I love the old ornaments from the 1940's and the foreign ones so I have a tree upstairs for them. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Sue, what sweet Christmas memories. Love the selfies! You are simply lovely! As I am 98% done unpacking boxes, I am back to blogging again. Happy New Year!

Rohit Singh said...


Do you prefer to eliminate weeds without the use of harmful chemicals? To control the growth of weeds, all you need is last week's Sunday paper. Without light, there can be no weeds. satta king
play bazaar

Unknown said...

The human body is absolutely incredible. Our minds and our physical structures are incredibly strong. However, that doesn't mean that we're not susceptible to a wide assortment of ailments and injuries as other people. Even the strongest among us become stressed out and needs tips to help in a pinch. Check out this article if you're feeling the strain of stress.
satta king
play bazaar