Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

Seeing red and loving it~

Written by Sue, Wednesday, May 7, 2014,Sunny, very warm, so nice, temps. high 80's

Our Strawberries are now producing, so what does one do with a big bowl of berries, make jam of course. If you don't grow your own , there are a lot of "pick your own farms" and local farmers markets. I am one of those who believes in supporting local farmers, besides the produce is always fresher.
 Here is how I made mine, going from left to right and skipping the middle photo. ~smile~
Pick berries, wash and drain them, sterilize the jars in dishwasher, place berries in food processor and pulse, measure in pot, add sugar and lemon juice,  put on heat and cook, once the berries begin to boil you will notice foam on top, just place a big helping pat of butter in pot, the foam will dissipate, well almost, cook until jam sheets off of spoon or until the desired consistency, scoop into sterilized jars, wipe tops with clean wet cloth, then place sterilized caps and rings on and tighten, place into the boiling water bath, process for 12 minutes.


Ingredients for jam.
This bowl of berries when chopped measured 16 cups of berries.
I added 8 cups of sugar,(this time around I used organic sugar,) sounds like a lot I know, but jam really has a lot of sugar, when it starts to cook you might want to taste to see if it is sweet enough for you,What's that you say "more sugar" don't laugh after all, the berries determine how much. ~smile~
juice of 2 lemons
1 pat of butter.
And the secret ingredient is "Love".
That's it, easy peasy. The yield was 8 1/2 pints, in jelly jars that would have been double, ~grin~

Tip: you might want to put the jam in decorative jars for gift giving, I will be doing this next time, but these will be going to my family who live far away. Hopefully I will remember to share some ways to make them more appealing, but you really don't need anything the "Jam" speaks for itself.

 I can't remember when I last used Sure Jell, I am trying to  keep everything as organic as possible, and to me there is a taste difference, having said that, feel free to use Sure jell, it certainly is quicker.
I on the other hand take the time when stirring the pot to meditate, pray for loved ones, and listen to my favorite radio station, music always makes everything so much better.

A word of encouragement to  those who have never made jams and jellies, this process might seem a little over whelming to you, but trust me, it really is easy and so satisfying, as long as I have been doing this I always get such a wonderful feeling when I take the jars out of the water bath canner, and I hear the pop, pop, sound of them sealing, but the best reward is when someone says'"Wow! this is the best jam ever,"just as Dh did yesterday, as I always save him some, and just think you made it with your own loving hands!
Just to prove how quickly this is, it only took 2 1/2 hours,from the time I brought the berries to the house, and they were sitting on my counter, time well spent!

Thank you to all who stop by and take the time to read, and for your precious sweet comments, Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!
Blessings, 
Sue

22 comments:

Vee said...

Really? Well then, I could listen to my favorite radio program in that time. This is something my mother did every summer and something that I have never ever done. I can't imagine its being appreciated in this here family o' mine where everyone is on a perpetual diet. It sure looks beautiful, though, and I think I just caught a whiff of strawberries. You are such a blessing to your family near and far!

Carol said...

30 years ago I made grape jelly with the grapes from our grape vine on the fence. I loved it becaue it brought back memories of my mother & grandma making jelly.

Smiles,
Carol

Patsy said...

I can smell that Strawberry Jam from here.
Blessings!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh you always inspire me and I so want to can again, now to get my other things finished. I had two strawberries this year...LOL, not enough to can. The fun thing was my grandson remembered there were strawberries last year and went straight to the garden to see if there were any this year.
Benjamin is so loving the ducks. One lets him hold it, but they will be going to a permanent place soon. Luckily none of our neighbors have turned us in.

Hugs...miss you and thank you always for your encouraging words!!

happyone said...

Love strawberries. I could use some here at my house. I'm making a fruit salad to bring to the Mother/Daughter banquet for church Friday night.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, yes, isn't that POP sound from the cooling jars the best :) Your kitchen work is beautiful and I love that your heart is happy and that your pray as your stir the pot!

Cranberry Morning said...

Strawberries? lucky you! Our strawberries won't be showing their little faces for more than a month. Love to make things of strawberry and even just love the way they look in a bright blue bowl!

Pom Pom said...

Hi Sue! Thank you for coming by to say hello and introduce yourself. Your jam photos are lovely. It looks and sounds delicious!

Maryann said...

We enjoy strawberry jam too and last year tried some freezer jam. Your jam looks delicious, i think they would make great gifts

NanaNor's said...

Dear Sue, So glad that we are back and that I now have time to check out my friends posts. I've missed you but with the move etc. have had almost no blogging time. I love the photos of your berries; I usually make jam with my girls and also use organic sugar etc when we do. If I ever get all our boxes unpacked, maybe I'll be able to do some fun things again.
Have a good evening my friend!
Hugs, Noreen

Melissa G said...

Oh I LOVE home made strawberry jam! I used to help my mom make it and we always had to crush the berries with a potoato masher, i like your idea of using the food processor!!

I've tried making it once on my own now but it didn't set right and was too runny.
It looks like your batch turned out perfect!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, Sue, I don't even like Strawberry Jam, but reading this post and seeing these gorgeous pics, makes me want a taste. :o)) And, I can just feel, through your words, the enjoyment that you got out of this process.

Always enjoy stopping by and reading your refreshing posts!!!

Debbie said...

I did do some jam making once when I was first married with my neighbor who taught me how to sew and bake bread. It took us MUCH longer, haha. But we didn't have dishwashers and had between us 3 babies, which brought constant interruptions of course....It was the most delicious thing ever. But I also remember not being able to be very disciplined about eating what I kept for us. It went on toast, sandwiches, and ice cream and by the spoonful right out of the jar too...sooo good. I am sure yours is heavenly but I never have learned to control myself very well with it around, so I think I will just smell yours through the blogsphere, lol Thank you for your sweet words today. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

My favorite jam! I make some every year! It's so easy and fun to do it!

Our strawberry plants have lots of white flowers on them so it's looking like we'll get a decent crop!

Yay, I can't wait!

Deanna

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love strawberries and I can almost smell the scent of the jam on the stove! You are so nice to make this for gift giving.

I appreciate so much your visits and comments on my blog. Enjoy your week!

Farm Girl said...

I need to get some and make jam this year, I have made so much in the last few years I still have some left. That is giving it away too. :)
I love reading about making jam, I love making it so much and yes, that pop, pop sound of the jars sealing is still one of the best sounds ever.
I think I will get some strawberries today and make a batch. You inspire me Sue.

Debbie said...

I loved THIS part the best:

"I on the other hand take the time when stirring the pot to meditate, pray for loved ones, and listen to my favorite radio station, music always makes everything so much better."

Could be applied to so very many things.

I have never made jams or preserves. (I have picked them many times, but what is left after I gobble them up is frozen instead.)

Debbie hangs her head in shame and walks to the refrigerator to console herself with some fresh strawberries...

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
So great to be here and to catch up
on life with you. Oh my, I bet that
jam is just the best, and I love
strawberry jam, my fav.......I have
to say I love the Dickinson's brand
that Cracker Barrel carries, but bet
it has nothing on yours.
Loved all those gorgeous butterly
pictures, beauties everyone.
So neat your son and grandon and fiancee came for a visit too, and
so happy for you about that lovely gift the heart shaped ring, how beautiful and the sentiments of it even more so......how thoughtful
of him......and oh how much he must love his MOM.........
Love to see that!
and my you have been busy in the garden as usual for this time of the year, it all looks so yummy.
Glad things are going well at the farm, and nice to check in with you sweetie.
Take Care,
Blessings, Nellie

Cheryl said...

I am loving your red too, Sue!! Yum-mo! Makes me eager for our strawberries...our strawberry harvest is still a few weeks away. Then I'll be seeing a bit of red, too, although not in the quantity that you are! :D

podso said...

From start to finish, all the work of your hands. That's so cool --- I wish we had strawberries in our garden, but at least they are in season right now so readily available and not expensive. Loved all the red!

Cranberry Morning said...

I know your comments are off for the Mother's Day post, but that was such a lovely and loving tribute to your mom, Sue. What a blessing a Godly woman is to her family. Your mother sounds like a wonderful God-fearing woman.

Unknown said...

Hi Sue
Another great post! Thanks for sharing your process. It's off to the strawberry field for me again and to Walmart to pick up some jars. I have never done this, my mom scared me off from ever doing something like this because of food poisoning.
I have two questions since I have never done this, how do you store them once done and how long does it keep also how far up the jar does the water come up or is it over the entire jar, I couldn't tell by the picture.
I am so excited to make some! Thanks again your a great teacher.
Hugs,
Tanis