Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

~Giving thanks for God's bountiful blessings~

Written by Sue, Wednesday,July 16, 2014        Clouds with showers, temps. 80's,  a great day for blogging.
If you come looking for me from  May through August you will probably find me here in the kitchen canning and preserving foods from the garden, or out in the garden. To  plant a seed and watch it sprout,then grow into a beautiful plant that produces either fruit or veggies, and then to be able to gather the fruit, walk a few steps into your kitchen and  begin to create your master pieces is so rewarding. 
A big hug and thank you to my two, ever present helpers, I could not do this without your help and support!
This corn is called Ambrosia, so sweet, this was our first year growing this variety! We finished canning the corn yesterday. I had 54 pints, you might ask why so many, it is divided with our children who live many miles away, our deal is this, we grow and preserve they pay for shipping! ~Grin~ So many times while I am preserving, I am praying for the one who will receive the food! The best reward is when I get a phone call and a child says "Mom, you will never guess what we had for dinner last night, some of your peas, and corn, and it was so delicious!"
I will try and put the steps of canning corn in my recipe page soon.

This is blueberry jam, I made 15 half pints this week, most for gift giving, before it is given it must be taste tested, by none other than Mr P. ahhh!! it passed with flying colors! A true cook will also taste her own concoctions, I call this a concoction because most times I never make something the same way. The recipe only called for sugar and berries, but Sue added cinnamon, lemon juice, a dash of vanilla flavoring, and several pats of butter,(the real thing). These extras only enhances he flavor of the berries!

The color is so rich looking!
I  will be finishing with  the cucumbers, today,here are 5 kinds I have made, a most delicious sweet pickle recipe given by a friend,  dill relish, sweet relish, Kosher dill, and dill chips!

This is our first cantaloupe for the season, what a whopper, I asked Mr P. if there were more like this in the field, "Sorry this is the only large one" he replied. This will last for a while. ha ha you think?

Enjoy your day,
love,
Sue 

25 comments:

Farm Girl said...

How lovely. That is a huge cantaloupe!! You do amaze me with all of your canning. I don't know how in the world you get that done and function the next day. :)
It is all beautiful. My DIL was telling me that she looks at all of your canning and feels like such a slacker. We both laughed. I think you are my inspiration. I do think canning is so addicting, don't you? So is growing it.
I love how it looks sitting there. I was cleaning my kitchen one day after I canned and thought about how you like to clean your kitchen when you are done. I just love when it is all clean too.
Have a wonderful day, I hope you get to rest.

Patsy said...

Joy! is what you and your family are.

ellen b. said...

Oh mercy me, look at your bounty. You have been busy. I so admire those of you who garden and can and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Everything looks so delicious!

Vee said...

Oh that's a beauty! Lovely to see your counter lined with gems...just as I expected it would be. Talk about A Taste of/from Home! Your kids must love their gifts.

Carol said...

What a beautiful sight to see your island filled with wonderful canned goods! So glad you shared this!

Smiles,
Carol

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love seeing all you're preserving.

We have been buying tomatoes (until ours are ready) and cantaloupe from a local farm. So amazing! They have super sweet cantaloupe and large cantaloupe. We've gone for the large and it is wonderful!

Deanna

NanaNor's said...

Sue, I always love reading what you are canning. I thought about the fresh corn we always get and freeze in Sept., but it appears we still have a big supply in the freezer. You are a true Prov.31 woman.
Hugs,
Noreen

Cranberry Morning said...

What a gorgeous sight! I love to can and to see all that food preserved for the winter. Your kitchen looks beautiful.

And your beautiful shepherd makes me miss mine. We had Bridger for 12+ years. GSD my favorite breed. I'm convinced that they're really people in fur clothing. lol They have so much personality and I love their personality. Protective and loyal. Amazing dogs.

happyone said...

Oh my you have been busy. Wow it all looks so good, especially the blueberry jam. Yummy!!

Anonymous said...

You are so smart. Everything looks wonderful. What a blessing to share your labor of love with friends and family.

Happy@Home said...

So nice to see a new post from you, Sue. My goodness you have been a busy lady and your kitchen counters look so lovely with all of your canned goods lined up on them.
I can't think of anything more satisfying than growing your own vegetables and preserving them for your loved ones.
Oh, and that cantaloupe... yummy!!

Cheryl said...

When I don't see you out and about for a while, Sue, I know just what's going on...you are working hard at some project or another! What a lovely array of garden goodness you have there! You are inspiring!

Hugs to you...

podso said...

A beautiful bounty for sure! Lots of hard work that will pay off in the coming year ...

Debbie said...

Good morning Sue! How I love to read about all of your garden bounty and your canning! Soo productive and inspiring. I bet your kids just love it when mom's box of veggies and jams etc., arrives. I know I'd be! Glad Susan has been able to spend some time there with you this summer. Know your enjoying that too. The corn especially looks soo good! The Lord blesses you and you bless others... love it! Enjoy these summer days!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

There is nothing better than home-grown food! And it tastes even better when it has been preserved with love and prayers. Your family is very blessed! Happy canning and preserving, Sue!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, Sue, seeing these pics and reading of how you view this entire process is such a blessing to me. It made my heart smile! And, your saying how you prayed for the ones receiving part of this as gifts reminded me of how my Mom always said that while she ironed she always prayed for whomever's clothes she was ironing at that time. So, so sweet!

What delicious eating awaits!!!

Christine said...

Another GRAND!! visit to the Farm!
Oh, I can see why you are so busy.
The love you pour into to your canning and concoction is so big you can almost see it!

I can almost smell the sweetness coming from your kitchen.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

When I stop by here it is always like entering into a dream world..of mine! This is wonderful. Look at the labor of your hands, how rewarding is that? Benjamin sends his hello!! We both think of your often and you are in our conversation more than you could realize.
Hugs!

Unknown said...

Oh Sue!! I enjoyed this post so much! I loved to see freshly canned vegetables all lined up. It is a lovely sight. Your header photo made me gasp....how pretty!!! And to send the fruits of your labor to your children with a prayer is a great idea....I will have to do that also. Thanks so much for such a great post!!

Elena said...

I love seeing all your beautiful canning. Gardens are so wonderful. We have been enjoying ours so much this year! God bless you dear friend!

Debbie said...

I love seeing your canning. I always imagine myself for just a minute actually having a little farm of my own and doing the same thing. I guess it reminds me of my grandmother. I can't grow much of a garden in the piney stick forest.

I did, however, help the farm sister put up 51 pints of corn right before my mom went in for surgery. Doing so by herself would be "work". Doing it with a gaggle of talkative help just makes it a corn adventure.

SarahGeorge said...

Always love to see your harvest and your canning:). Everything looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

you made me searching in my kitchen cabinet for some jam to have on toast bread.. everything is wonderful - what a hug blessing you are to keep the skills alive to bless your children..and I am sure your mother and friends too...wink!

Hugs - and don't burn your self - wink!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sue, I think of you often, and it always makes me smile when you visit or post.

Have been studying Paul's keys to happiness as found in Phillipians. Have really enjoyed it.

Hope you are well and that life is slowing down to a manageable rhythm for you now that summer is coming to a close. Enjoy the fruits of your labor... Literally!

Love to you and yours...

xo

Sheila :-)

PS I am anxious to hear of the changes. Are you referring to your studies? I hope those are going well. xoxoxo