Pear tree lane Farmhouse

~Welcome home~

This blog is dedicated to my dear family who live many miles away, and to you dear ladies , who have a heart for keeping the home fires burning. You, who love and cherish your family, and have a desire to create a home that says "Welcome, you are loved and cared for."

My desire is that when you leave that you will be encouraged and know that you too are loved.

Sue~

A BEEE-U-TI-FUL EXPERIENCE

Written by Sue, Saturday May 6, 2017        Cool, partly cloudy with a few showers

It has been quite sometime since I saw a honey bee here at the farm. At one time we had three hives, we didn't gather honey, we just left the bees to themselves, as they happily gathered their nectar, and pollinated our plants!

Since the bears destroyed the hives, and the bees left, pollination as not been what we wanted or needed, so after attending a seminar on beekeeping this spring, we decided to get another hive or two! This time we are going to try, and I underscore the word, (try) to maybe  become better bee keepers! To our understanding, insects, diseases, and predators have really took a toll on the honey bees, which are so important in producing crops! I can really tell a difference since ours left!

At the seminar we bought a hive, found a gentleman who raises and sells bees, and waited and waited for the call to come and get them!


He called last night and said they were ready, so off we went this morning!
What a wonderful experience it was for me, I learned so much by just talking and observing with this gentle man!

I was a little afraid, as I didn't want to get stung,  of course I asked lots of questions!


I was amazed at how well he handled the bees! Would you place your hand on a screen full of bees, not me, but it came so naturally for him. He did get stung a few times but told us it didn't bother him because he had been stung so many times!

Looking for the queen bee, and he found her, I asked how he knew which one she was,  he said he had marked her, sure enough there she was with a orange dot on her back! Do you see her? I still don't know how he did it! I guess you would call him a "bee whisperer" ~smile~


Once he found the queen he then began to place the trays of bees in the hive !ots and lots of honey bees!


Would you believe we drove about 30 miles with a hive full of bees inside our vehicle?However he made sure it was secure for us before we left!
 Mr P taking them to their new home!He looks like a natural, doesn't he, as that hive is full of bees.
There,... all set, we let them sit for about an hour to calm down before taking the bottom screen halfway off!

We checked on them a little later and they were as happy as bees could be, flying in and out, I hope they like their new home, I know I am happy!

This has been another busy week for us, lots more projects almost completed. They say you never get to old to learn new things, that is so true, I learned of what to do and what not to do in my work!  I also learned a lot about myself, and of how God takes the small mundane things to teach me and grow me into what He wants me to be, for that I am so thankful! I never want to get to the place that I feel as though I have arrived, I want to always be open to what God has for me! Each day brings me so much joy in knowing who really is in charge!

Much love, from me to you,
Sue

Psalm 119:103~ How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for stretching yourselves to learn new things. Hope those bees do what they are called to do and that crops will be helped. It's always good to acknowledge who is truly in control. Blessings!

happyone said...

How interesting it will be to learn all about the bees. Good luck with the bee keeping.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Bees are such interesting creatures! Keep us posted on how it goes. Always good to stop by and hear the latest with you. Happy new week!

Debbie said...

I am always so impressed and amazed at all you do, but I have to admit this one is up near the top, lol. I honestly can't imagine being brave enough to work those bees. I am afraid I'd be terrified...and they would know it, lol. But how GREAT this will be. I so look forward to hearing more about your bees in the future. Much love to you!

Christine said...

Good for you and Mr.P!
I know our little apple tree needs a few bees!
I have a ton of questions, but I'll limit them. Are they hard to keep? Do you have to clean out the honey? Is just one hive enough?
OK, that's enough. I think I'll Google the rest of my questions.

There is never a dull moment on The Farm!

(That must of been an interesting ride home, with the bees buzzing!)

Barb said...

Hi Sue~

I'm so glad that you are beekeepers! I have been really worried the last few years about the lack of bees in our area. This year I have seen a few, but not nearly enough. Bee Happy!!

Hugs,
Barb

Cheryl said...

A sweet post by a gal who is always as busy as a bee!! I echo your other commenters who say that you are brave, but I think if anyone can do it, you can! I hope that you see a big difference in your crop production!

Vee said...

🐝 Wonderful story about the acquisition of the new 🐝 and the reasons behind it.🐝 How awful for the
former bees to be wiped out by bears. 🐻 (I am having so much fun with the emojis. 🙃) What will prevent
them from doing it again? May your crops be blessed, may the 🐝 bees stay happy, and I hope that you
harvest some honey for its wonderful health benefits. 🍯 All the best with the projects! (I have many of my
own this week. I'll pray for you and please pray for me. )

Christine said...

I had to come back and tell you, that I had a dream about Bees, last night!
Funny how things get put into your head.

Anonymous said...

Bees are fascinating! I started beekeeping this year....I've wanted to do so for 30 years! Did you know that a bee can remember a human face? Still loving your home.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
What a neat experience, I have always been fascinated with Bees and watching or seeing
pictures of beekeepers in their beekeeper suits. We had a gentleman that use to go to our
church who was a beekeeper, and he came in his beekeeper suit and told the kids about it for
vacation bible school one year. The kids loved it, and so did I......lol

Hope you enjoy those cute lil honey bees, but don't get stung now.....
I love honey and have heard a few years ago about the shortage of honey bees.....thought that
was odd...........

Well, have a great week, and hope you get all the projects done that you have in the work
right now...........I say right now, cause projects are like the neverending story, right??

Take care hon,]
Love and blessings,
Nellie

Debby Ray said...

I think beekeeping is a very interesting hobby, not to mention that that honey is SO delicious. It is truly a shame that bees are becoming endangered...NOT GOOD!

Sandra said...

Wow! I admire people who keep bees :)
My husband would like to but I am not on board yet.
Interesting post!

Rose of Sharon said...

How wonderful! We lost our bees this year due to the harsh weather. We are hoping to get new bees soon.

Lois Christensen said...

Hi Sue! So nice to see you visit my blog yesterday. I came to your blog a few months ago and was sad to see you were having health issues. I'm glad things are doing better and you're back to blogging. I always enjoy seeing what's going on here on your beautiful farm!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Happy to meet you today! I blog in North Idaho, and I see almost no honey bees on our place. Friends of ours have just gotten their first bee hive, and I am watching to see how they do with theirs. It seems like a lot of work, but would be so worth it to have the bees working in the garden! Enjoyed my visit with you today :)

Stephanie said...

Oh, what a fun and fantastic time this must have been! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us :)

Happy weekend to you, sweet friend. Hugs!

Rue said...

Wow! That's an amazing story about the bees. I would have been really nervous toking them home in the car lol I hope they like their new home :)

xo,
rue

Carol said...

Hi, Sue! Just stopping by to check on you, so happy to see a post from you. I'm going to attempt to start blogging again. I haven't posted since April 2016.
I hope you're well.
Smiles,
Carol

Vee said...

🏃🏻‍♀️ Just dashing through to say hello! Hope that you are enjoying summer blessings...

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

HI Sue,
MIssing you, hope everything is okay with you and yours,
Blessings, Nellie

M.K. said...

How exciting! I'm so glad you got bees again. They are fun to watch and add so much to a farm. I hope they do very well!

Sunny said...

Hi Sue! So glad to see you starting up beehives again. I always get excited still after all these years! I have fond memories of hubby and me growing our "bee business". And thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. Was so good to hear from you!!